New Airfix 1/35th scale kits

fatfingers

How do chaps,

Just had a look at the Airfix 2022 releases and see that they have announced a Brumbar, Stug IV and PzIII J. I noticed that the part counts are in the 450+ range so i'm guessing indie tracks links. I imagine these are Academy re boxes, but i thought Academy did link & length tracks and not indies? Not too bothered about the Brumbar or Stug but the PzIII deffo tweaks my interest :wicked:

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Orso said:

I had a look at the Academy PzIIIJ. Link and length as you said but still around 590 parts.

Thanks Orso,

Was tempted by the Academy J but DAK schemes don't really do it for me so the Airfix re box with a nice panzer grey is right up my street! 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers

20 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

They're releasing some nice kits this year including a couple of great looking planes.👍

They certainly are. Not a plane builder myself but i could be tempted by that new 24th scale Spit and 72nd Meteor! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

I do not believe from memory that Airfix has 'ever' done a new tool kit in 1/35 of their own mould.  There were a few 1/32 moulds of their's decades ago but all the 1/35 have been re-releases of another company's moulds.

So yes Academy. 

29 minutes ago, Hornet133 said:

I do not believe from memory that Airfix has 'ever' done a new tool kit in 1/35 of their own mould.  There were a few 1/32 moulds of their's decades ago but all the 1/35 have been re-releases of another company's moulds.

So yes Academy. 

The Cromwell was their own, as is the soon to be released Austin K2.

I suspect the Panzer III is Academy, although as it is a new release for both Academy and Airfix I wonder whether it was a collaboration.  The part count must be wrong though, the Academy tracks are link and length so the part count will be nothing like 450+.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

It's interesting (to me at least) that in the past Airifix have done straight reboxes of Academy kits, but this year they're being a bit more subtle. As mentioned above the Pz. III Ausf J is a European one where Academy have made theirs DAK specific. Also the Acdamy Brummbar is an early one where the Airifx is a mid production. The StuG IV is less clear cut as the pictures I've seen of both look essentially identical and neither specify a production period.

I get the feeling that having tested the water, these are now collaborations to cover as many bases and sales as possible without taking them from each other.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 1