RAAF 6 Sqn EA-18G Growler - The Exciting Usual Grey Scheme - 1/48 Hasegawa ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

Great to start a new GB subject, Hasegawa's 1/48 EA-18G in RAAF Markings with a few extras - Aires seats, Quinta Studio cockpit and Reskit wheels and exhausts. Still waiting on the decals.

BM EA-18G c11

I am heading back to Australia (at last) the end of the month and hope to pick up the subject decals from Ronin. That being a reprint of the RAAF Centennial markings in the usual grey scheme🤞. All the rest is ready to go and I will need to make a good start over the next couple of weeks as little modelling will get done when back home. Then it will be apply the decals on return and hope to finish in time make the gallery. Let's see. I'll start cutting plastic tomorrow.

Ray

• Like 7

Great choice Ray, I pretty much have the same kit and AM stuff, though I don't have those ResKit cans.

I tried using them on my last SuperBug build but ran into trouble with them, they didn't fit! They were too long and interfered with the elevator setup......, thou my set wasn't for the Hasegawa model.

Will be very interested to see how you go, as the kit cans and Aires ones I have are very basic! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really glad that you are finally going to be able to get home mate, must be a great relief.

Sure is. Hope it happens. You can never have total confidence these days.

My modelling will go back to a few less builds per year as other priorities take over. This hobby is a great tonic when isolated. 

11 hours ago, Ale85 said:

I'll follow with interest!

Hope I can add some value.

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

They were too long and interfered with the elevator setup......, thou my set wasn't for the Hasegawa model.

Thanks Rich for the heads up on the elevator issue. Still a problem on this kit but not a difficult fix.

I expect the Reskit exhaust duct (dark grey) is a more realistic length from the turbine exit. Does someone have the actual length it should be?

BM EA-18G c12

The cans do look much nicer and if you like you could just use these.

BM EA-18G c13

I think it is not a difficult mod to get clearance on the Hasegawa elevator setup so long as you do this before you join the fuselage halves. My plan is to glue the elevator cross piece in place. Strengthen the underside gap with a gusset and then cut the interfering part out of the way so the duct will slide in to the required position. I expect I will need to shorten the polycap a fraction. The elevator engagement is relatively short so this should still be strong enough.

BM EA-18G c14

We shall see. 

Ray

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Hope it happens. You can never have total confidence these days.

You'll be fine, just pack a tennis racket.😁

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

The cans do look much nicer

They really do don't they, they have the correct "twist" of the exhaust petals and it looks like you have figured out how to fit the full exhaust already.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

tennis racket

Good idea, after all I am close to Serbia at the moment and also by then I will not need the cricket bat. 😁 I will need to charge the power tools and get ready for a string of projects and very little involving polystyrene, resin or brass, rather, 1:1 scale timber, bricks and mortar.

• Like 1

No Tennis Racket packing persons allowed down here!! :rofl2:

Arrr that new resin cans fit looks very familiar, and the fit issues with them looks the same...I remembered I only found this at the end! From memory I had to cut up the polycaps as well and a few other bits as well. It is interesting that the say it's for the Hasegawa model (mine was the Eduard release) but it doesn't actually fit without some issues!

I'm back home tomorrow so may have to do some shopping for new end cans I've found! Can use the old kit bits with new resiny bits on the end....... plus some new resin wells, plus........ :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

but it doesn't actually fit without some issues!

Starting to find this. Plenty of dry fitting coming up. I'll post some images later in the week of my "discoveries".  Any pointers along the way welcome.

Ray

• Like 2

Being on a roll I just kept cutting plastic and taping it together. I am happy with the fit.

BM EA-18G c15

I will probably add some additional tabs to ensure good joints in some locations, but the fit at this stage is not bad. Let's start painting and building or vice versa as the case may be. Cockpit and inlet trunking sounds a nice place to start.

BM EA-18G c16

Ray

• Like 6

On 1/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Think there’s a few of us keeping a weather eye on the Ronin website!

I am sure this is the case. They have some interesting re-prints and new F/A-18 sheets promised for 2022 so worth checking the site regularly. I was going to hold off until they re-printed the RAAF Centenary markings. However, as I will be only home for a few weeks I thought better to lock in a scheme and ordered the Ronin decals that were in stock. I have decided on the 2018 6 Sqn Scheme. 

BM EA-18G c18

On 1/12/2022 at 12:31 AM, modelling minion said:

It certainly looks like she will go together without any major headaches

We will see. I am cheating a little having Rich's build @trickyrich running ahead of me. I note his comments on flaps.

Ray

• Like 5

plus you might need to add tabs around the rear fuselage joins to help keep everything lined up, that area has a habit flexing in (or out) and makes tiding up a pain. Same goes for those bit right behind the intakes on the underside (the pieces with all those wee round holes, flare chutes??), they need some "guidance" to sit flush!

My advise is to test fit till you become complete bored, then do some more, careful test fitting and adjusting with give you good tidy joins.....and use clamps if you have, especially when joining upper and lower fuselages, particularly with the LEX joins. Last time I didn't and it was a pain to correct/tidy. 

.well I did go shopping and got the correct exhausts for mine...again I ended up with Revell ones....but because I have used the replacement resin surrounds (sits just in front of the rear cans) it should all fit nicely.... plus I got some new wheel (don't like the kit ones)... plus some Mk.84's for my Tomcat.

I would have got a nice new replacement IRPod (again the kit one is very basic, replaced it on my E model as well) from Wolfpack but no one seems to have them... will keep an eye out though.

One question, does anyone know if the RAAF Growlers carry an AIM-120 on the RH fuselage pylon??? I know the Growlers still retain the options to fit them and AIM-9X's. I know they have start of the art ECM capabilities but would sort of make sense to some sort of A to A capability to shoot at Panda Bears! :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

One question, does anyone know if the RAAF Growlers carry an AIM-120 on the RH fuselage pylon??? I know the Growlers still retain the options to fit them and AIM-9X's. I know they have start of the art ECM capabilities but would sort of make sense to some sort of A to A capability to shoot at Panda Bears! 

Hi Rich, 

Thanks for your tips. I like dry fitting because I loath any filling. 

Re. you question, does this help? I'd say yes.

https://www.goodfon.com/download/boeing-ea-18g-growler-samolet-reb-vvs-avstralii-hesja-air-ar/1920x1080/

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Two month break from the modelling bench working on necessary house maintenance with the big East Coast wet back home in Australia. Now back at the bench and hoping to finish this within the time. At this stage mostly parts preparation, cockpit and nose assembly.

BM EA-18G c25

I am using Quinta Studios 3D set so scraped off what was there and filled some ejection marks in the base of the cockpit tub.

BM EA-18G c21

Sprayed the tub Gunze C317 FS 36231 Dark Gull Grey. There is quite a colour difference with the Quinta vinyl. I will be using a dark grey wash, after correctly positioning the sidewall panels, so hopefully I'll get a closer match. 

BM EA-18G c22

The kit would benefit from better location devices so it is a matter of adding these where you can and where needed.

BM EA-18G c23

I still have not got a pleasing solution with this one ......

BM EA-18G c27

I avoid clamps and fillers so the front fuselage join to the lower wing half needs some more thought and adjustment.

Ejection marks in the intake trunking filled with Gel CA and talc and sanded.

BM EA-18G c20

Filling jobs on the nose and fuselage sides all with CA/talc. Some rescribing still to do.

BM EA-18G c24

It took a couple of months but I did receive the Ronin Graphics decals that I had ordered. Very pleased with the product and looking forward to using them. Plenty of useful documentation included.

BM EA-18G c26

Next we should see some nice progress and finishing of the cockpit.

Ray

• Like 7

More bench time and making some good progress. Finished the ducting and filled, sanded and painted the seams. CA/Talc then sanded and sprayed with a few wet coats of White Mr Finishing Surfacer.

BM EA-18G c31

They'll do:

BM EA-18G c32

I was unhappy with the fit of the nose/fuselage assembly to the wing halves.  A noticeable step at the front:

BM EA-18G c34

And another step and very wishy-washy location at the rear:

BM EA-18G c35

Better seen in this image:

BM EA-18G c39

I decided that if I carefully sanded the top edge of the fuselage component I could get a better fit and hopefully minimise, if not eliminate, post sanding and filling.

BM EA-18G c33

BM EA-18G c37

Working carefully I ended up with a better result. However, the end joint is not very precise. With the Hasegawa build you have multiple joints all with the potential to go astray while you clamp the LEX between the top and bottom wing halves and try to ensure no gaps anyway. So, decision made, let's kill two birds with one stone. 

BM EA-18G c36

I made a small bulkhead, glued it into in the rear of the front fuselage section and screwed and tapped into it from the rear section.

BM EA-18G c40

Much better.

BM EA-18G c41

Now I can ensure all joints are good, adjust and/or pack as necessary and no glue needs to come near it until the end. Here it is, pulls up nicely.

BM EA-18G c42

The front section looks much better. No glue yet.

BM EA-18G c43

Ray

• Like 7

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

great prep work to eliminate filling and sanding later

It's coming together nicely. Another enjoyable build even with a little "engineering". Nice to do this now, rather than later. 

I cut the spar that spans the rear fuselage and interferes with the longer Resikit jet exhaust replacement.

You may recall from an earlier post:

BM EA-18G c14

In the end not much of the polycap holders left, but enough. I glued them in place then strengthened them with CA/Talc. A nice robust joint. I plan to glue the jet exhausts (excluding nozzles) into place before the top fuselage half is glued in position. I can then further brace against these along the stabilator axis giving more rigidity.

BM EA-18G c47

The toothpick is a another brace, not related to the stabilator mountings. I noted the top of this section pinches in so the toothpick (glued in place with CA/talc) is ensuring the correct position to marry up with the top fuselage half.  

Finished the ejection seats - Aires resin with Quinta harness. My process for the Quinta harness was to remove them from the backing sheet like the recommended decal process working with one piece at a time. Then wipe off the glue and glue in position using CA. The Quinta harness is supplied as a light grey. I changed the colour to a somewhat more green using a wash I made from Vallejo Model Color Green. This was done after the harness was glued in position.

BM EA-18G c45

BM EA-18G c46

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Replaced cockpit photos
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Ray, the cockpit and seats look very good, the straps are very effective and better with the green wash you have given them.

🇺🇦

After posting the cockpit photos I was disappointed how brown the seat cushioning appeared and washed out was the harness colour. I went to bed thinking I'll repaint those in the morning. However, on the bench they certainly do not look that way. The lighting was a fraction too harsh. I replaced the photos in the previous post with something a little closer to reality. No need to repaint anything. :phew:

Cockpit is not finished yet. but at least the ejection seats are out of the way.

Finished the Reskit exhausts. I did use the supplied PE flame holder on the basis of the Ronin Graphics images. Not much to see shoved up that jet pipe, but I do like it:

BM EA-18G c49

A little bit of adjustment possibly a little more weathering and these will do nicely.

BM EA-18G c50

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Added jet exhaust images
  • Like 5

Finally, starting to look like a hornet. Building into a very clean and robust model.

BM EA-18G c51

Not too many vices in the assembly other than the lack of location devices does mean you do need to take a little care. I tend to work along one glue line at a time and hold until firm before moving to the next. 

BM EA-18G c56

I did thin the wing fences and that tip is broken off the port wing. Thankfully, I found it so no need to fabricate a replacement.

I was able to splay the underside of the LERX a fraction and achieve a reasonably good joint. A small amount of CA/Talc was added on one side and sanded out.

BM EA-18G c53

The rear section of the fuselage also came up nicely although removal of the joint seams (which do not fall on a panel line) and some rescribing was necessary.

BM EA-18G c54

I think the paint shop is not too far away.

Ray

• Like 6