Takom 1/144 Lun ekranoplan

78a834d60c7e554d07c2997046b8271d.png

I am a big fan of Soviet machinery and could not resist buying Takom’s 1/144 scale Lun-class ekranoplan (Russian generic designation for wing in ground effect vehicle).

Initial impressions are good as every sprue is individually bagged and surface detail looks decent for the scale.

Further study of the Lun showed up some faults:

- The take-off/landing hidro-ski on the bottom of the hull is totally absent, details of this are very hard to come by looking at pictures of the surviving Lun and Spasatel, can anybody please help?

84d62f0b855e55f4d2a064cf44a685d9.png

- The 2 defensive turrets have somewhat overscale twin cannons each, this is incorrect as the Lun was equipped with the same UKU-9K-502 turret as the Ilyushin Il-76M transport, each equiped with two twin-barrelled GSh-23 23mm cannons;

- The proposed colour schemes (1 for the single operational Lun and 2 “what-if” schemes) are each represented in a half A4 leaflet, with insuficcient detail due to the very small size of the illustrations and worse than that, the scheme for the operational Lun is incorrect as it shows the wings painted in grey top and bottom when in reality the whole of the bottom surface, top of the flaps and a triangular section between the outboard floats and the top of flaps were painted in blue; also the dark blue waterline stripe (hull, floats and wing top surface) is not represented and absent from the decals.

Cutting and sanding the main components showed great fit of the parts, the exception so far is the left horizontal stabilizer that needs some slight filing (in the area marked in red) to fit in the recess in the fin.

5f693ec2dddac55602f2d6aee3b408cd.png

And here’s the work so far with nothing glued yet, stay tuned!

86b4d8239d6d9d89283fdba2732104b8.jpg

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Wow. Is that an actual, real-life aircraft, or something out of the Avengers?

Technically it's not an aircraft as it's classed by the International Maritime Organization as a ship but this is disputed, better call it a vehicle and leave it at that! :)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Technically it's not an aircraft as it's classed by the International Maritime Organization as a ship but this is disputed, better call it a vehicle and leave it at that! :)

Ah, so in that picture it isn't taking off, it travels along the surface of the water? Amazing.

Ah, the "Monster of the Caspian Sea". Fascinating machine and a wonderful choice for a build report. I'll follow your progress with interest. If I'm not mistaken the use of ground effect is the reason for the IMO to classify 'ekranoplans' as ships. Much the same argument could be made for calling them aircraft, it seems. Or flying boats.  Would you perhaps have a link to the disputes you refer to? Enjoy the build! 

21 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Ah, so in that picture it isn't taking off, it travels along the surface of the water? Amazing.

Not quite Tony, it starts on the water’s surface but once a critical speed is reached it gets properly airborne. Generally they cruise at around 20 - 50 feet and once on the cushion, they are quite economical. Boeing had a design concept for a WiGE freighter sometime ago, Google: Boeing Pelican.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michou said:

Rui,

Have you seen this set of photos?

https://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html

Also, try searching with the following words - Лунь экраноплан

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the link, these photos are the best "walk-around" I've ever seen and this picture is the only one I know that shows the front of the hidro-ski.
It seems that Takom has skipped quite a few details of the Lun's complicated hull shape, I'll just try to depict the hidro-ski using a few photos and this amazing thread at BM, unfortunately stalled for the moment:

68b9563c68f6aca962b8bf4f9131feb3.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 9:41 PM, dukdalf said:

If I'm not mistaken the use of ground effect is the reason for the IMO to classify 'ekranoplans' as ships. Much the same argument could be made for calling them aircraft, it seems. Or flying boats.  Would you perhaps have a link to the disputes you refer to? Enjoy the build! 

Hi Dukdalf,

https://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Safety/Pages/WIG.aspx

"WIG craft are categorized according to the following types:

type A: a craft which is certified for operation only in ground effect. Within prescribed operational limitations, the structure and/or the equipment of such a craft should exclude any technical possibility to exceed the flight altitude over the maximum vertical extent of ground effect;

type B: a craft which is certified for main operation in ground effect and to temporarily increase its altitude outside ground effect to a limited height, but not exceeding 150 m above the surface, in case of emergency and for overcoming obstacles; and

type C : a craft which is certified for the same operation as type B; and also for limited operation at altitude exceeding 150 m above the surface, in case of emergency and for overcoming obstacles.

IMO and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) have agreed that any WIG craft capable of sustained flight outside the influence of ground effect should also be subject to the rules and regulations of ICAO. Other craft, including those with limited "fly-over" capability, should be covered only by the maritime regulatory regime."

It seems the problem resides in the national and international regulatory agencies interpretations of certificationof WIGE vehicles as ships or as aircraft, like this:

https://www.revolution.aero/editorial-1/2019/8/29/exclusive-uk-at-odds-with-eu-and-us-over-classification-of-wing-in-ground-effect-craft

Now please don't tell me I'm a ship modeller!!! :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the information, Rui Silva. Interesting stuff. And no, I'll not call you a shipbuilder. The IMO may do so, but seeing the people at Wigetworks baptised their craft "Airfish" I can only conclude they're not certain either as to what exactly it is. Looking forward to your next reports on the build of the beast called Lun. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:41 PM, dukdalf said:

Ah, the "Monster of the Caspian Sea".

The 'Lun' (Hen Harrier) wasn't the Caspian Sea Monster - that was the much bigger 'KM' (Korabl Maket - Test Ship)....

spacer.png

When satellite images first appeared, American journalists dubbed it the 'Caspian Sea Monster', so the Soviets started also calling it the 'Kaspiisk Monstr'

Some great walkround pics of the Lun can be found here :- https://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html?page=1

Good luck with your build Rui :thumbsup:  ......  I built the Anigrand resin Lun some time ago....

spacer.png

My builds of the KM, Lun, A-90 and Bartini 14M1P are here :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_ekranoplans.html

Happy Ekranoplanning !!

Ken

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Some great walkround pics of the Lun can be found here :- https://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html?page=1

Good luck with your build Rui :thumbsup:  ......  I built the Anigrand resin Lun some time ago....

spacer.png

Happy Ekranoplanning !!

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the link and for the kind words, your models are amazing.

Hi all,

I haven´t done much work on my model, just checking photos against the kit and it seems that Takom has taken some "artistic shortcuts" regarding accuracy. 
The Lun's bottom hull is quite complex in shape and Takom modelled the rear part of the hull's bottom rounded when it should have the "V" shape almost to the rear gun turret; I will try to correct this simply by sanding.

f40cad552c7fab79e30a08b0c5276253.jpg

48b6bd5a38276874ff372f01c2f43cdb.jpg

Also the "blast fairings" are depicted in the kit as vertical panels when they should be rectangular "tiles", compare photos of the kit and the actual Lun:

b3c65aba343710a6c060fd1a4e8b9743.jpg 

449932b905905452f0d51c97a59e719a.png

That's all for today, stay tuned.

• Like 7

Hi, great project and information!

Just about to start one of these for a GB, doubt I'll go to your lengths regarding accuracy but hopefully I'll be able to learn something from this build and take onboard some of your suggestions and recommendations. 

Good luck 

Darryl 

• Like 1

You will also need to file/sand the top surface of the 2 gunners glazing positions, parts F12 & F13, they are a very tight fit.

The canopy glazing F9 is a bit of a 'stretch fit' at the back, but finger pressure while the MEK flashed off was enough to hold it.

I haven't re-scribed the blast panels, they have too few vertical lines anyway. The worst bit is cleaning up the seams on the Moskit tubes, and getting the horizontal stab fitting well.

Mine is in the paint shop, only the detail work and decals to go.

• Thanks 1