2022 Airfix Vintage Classics

Paul821

I had to Google "Krackle Kat"; hmmm - not bad:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/0315/11/airfix-krackle-kat-customized-ford_360_9d66b2516f06da7652d97250b71191b8.jpg

That swapped-in Ford 9" rear end needs fender flares, or less offset/more backspacing on the wheels, though... :winkgrin:

John

• Like 1

23 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I may be mistaken but:

retool = modifying existing tooling to add/remove parts, make corrections etc

new tool = a totally new kit

I've seen a few people suggest a retool for X kit when I think they may mean a new tool?

That would be my understanding too.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, IT_Man said:

Does anyone know how long the Vintage Classics stay in the range? Or it just based on how well they sell/production runs?

It looks like it might just be one production run for some of them - the Hawker Demon, 1/24 scale Spitfire, Bf 109E and Hurricane, the Sherman Crab and Churchill Crocodile and the WWI French, Germans and Royal Horse Artillery aren't in this year's catalogue.

Thought I would toss in this photo from Christmas 1969. My Dad is camouflaged by the poinsettia, yours truly with the dear in the headlights look.

That was a great Airfix Christmas indeed. Unfortunately I doubt we’ll ever see these again from Airfix.

Jeff

E9ED8313-05D9-43D3-9291-FC31B23D7117

• Like 16

On 15/01/2022 at 17:09, Richard Humm said:

The AC-47 wasn't anything to do with Palitoy - Airfix modified the mould in 1974, seven years before Palitoy took over. It wasn't the only tooling Airfix modified permanently - the Hart to the Demon and three (or possibly four) of the modern car range to custom versions come to mind.

Ah, true, i must have been getting my ACs confused.

Could it be the new tool 1/43rd cars will herald the start of a new range of cars to replace the classic 1/32 range of the past? I would have liked to se more of the older kits  in the forthcoming releases though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Thought I would toss in this photo from Christmas 1969. My Dad is camouflaged by the poinsettia, yours truly with the dear in the headlights look.

That was a great Airfix Christmas indeed. Unfortunately I doubt we’ll ever see these again from Airfix.

Jeff

Love it! My mum always managed to get a background flower growing out the top of dad's head. But you could at least see his face..😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, robertlundin said:

Would really like to see the SRN.1 hovercraft reissued 

I'll certainly second that! The one and only time I got my mitts on the SRN.1 was back in 1984 when I 15. I found one languishing high up on a dusty shelf in a local newsagents by sheer luck. Must have been there for years as it was in a type 4 box dating from the mid 70s. My best mate and modelling buddy was with me, and we both zeroed in on the SRN.1, but I got there first as I was a good foot taller than he was. I don't think he's ever forgiven me for that! Up there with the SRN.1 was a Boeing Vertol and an Ariel Arrow motorbike. I grabbed all three. I'd love the chance to have another crack at those kits.

Steve 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bootneck said:

There's currently a pre-owned one on offer on Kingkit

Mike

Just had a look at that. Very nice indeed, and fairly reasonably priced if compared to the silly auction prices they go for.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Jeff

So you bought your dad a Superfortress, and you only got a Dakota from him?

No wonder he's hiding in shame.

• Haha 10

• 2 weeks later...

"Making it's return after 23 years". 

Oh dear Airfix, wasn't it time to make new moulds for that Westland Whirlwind helicopter? Originally released 1956...

https://m.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270/10159618063351271/?type=3

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Andre B said:

"Making it's returnera after 23 years". 

Oh dear Airfix, wasn't it time to make new moulds for that Westland Whirlwind helicopter? Originally released 1956...

https://m.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270/10159618063351271/?type=3

It'd be hard to market it as a nostalgic Vintage Classic if they did, wouldn't it?

Paul.

• Like 4

On 17/01/2022 at 05:49, MrB17 said:

your photo is a mirror image of my own Christmas around the same time and with the same B-29 as a present from Santa !!  Happy days and the start of a life long kit bashing path!

• Like 4

I never built the B-29 but the posh lad round the corner had one I think - I distinctly remember the pressurized crawl tube being in the kit - or was that the Monogram one. He also had a Tamiya Lunchbox AND a Hornet. He was a git and shot my mate with his air rifle. But I digress ;)

TT

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I never built the B-29 but the posh lad round the corner had one I think - I distinctly remember the pressurized crawl tube being in the kit - or was that the Monogram one. He also had a Tamiya Lunchbox AND a Hornet. He was a git and shot my mate with his air rifle. But I digress ;)

TT

The Airfix B-29 had the crawl tunnel but sadly lacked the wing carry through between the bomb bays.  It had the all-but-invisible rear sighting stations though

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Thanks Steve - that would have bugged me especially as I couldnt find any sprue shots online!

TT

My pleasure TT.

This was one of my favourite big Airfix kits and had a "paintbrush refit" into RAF colours as a Washington B  Mk  1.  I know the Academy B-28 is "better" but I'd still relish another go at the Airfix '29.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

TT

I wasn't a posh lad but I did get the Airfix B-29 - I fractured my skull when I was 11 and my parents bought it for me for being brave. 😄

Some would say I've not been right since that knock on the head... 🙃

• Haha 4

On 2/1/2022 at 7:59 AM, Paul Thompson said:

It'd be hard to market it as a nostalgic Vintage Classic if they did, wouldn't it?

Paul.

Some moulds better stay in storage untouched...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Some moulds better stay in storage untouched...

I understand why you say that, but for some it isn't the accuracy (in particular cases like this one) but the nostalgia.  If the old Whirlwind mould wasn't re-released I don't see Airfix making a new one, and they'll be a few sales down from where they'd otherwise be. I have fond memories of the kit from when I still had coloured hair, freshly removed from the back of the newsagents door, in a baggy. I won't buy the re-issue because I already have a couple, but see why people might. OTOH the vintage nature should be clearly marked (which it is) and the price not exhorbitant (which is currently a can of worms due to global and political factors).

Paul.

• Like 5

If what’s going on in the 50th Anniversary of Matchbox Group Build can be used as a gauge, then there is certainly a market for Vintage kits. Revell now own most of the original Matchbox moulds, however if they were to ever reissue these kits in similar fashion to what Airfix are doing (with original Roy Huxley artwork) I am sure they would be pleasantly surprised by the large volume of sales this would generate. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 15