2022 Airfix Vintage Classics

Paul821

29 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

But Heller did make a 1/43 Jaguar XJ-S, which might make a nice companion model 

169613-12155-55-pristine.jpg

1/43 isn't unknown to Airfix

Citroen Xsara T4 WRC 2001
Ford Focus WRC 2002
Jaguar XJS 1998
Land Rover 1998
McLaren F1 2001
Mini 1998
Mitsubishi WRC 2002
Peugeot 206 WRC'00 2001 *
Peugeot 206 WRC'03 2004 *
Peugeot 307 WRC'04 2005
Subaru Ev2 Asphalt 2003 *
Subaru Impreza WRC 2001
Williams F1 2001

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Not that I would buy it anyway, but £97!!!  Are they serious?

The average UK pocket money in 1975 was about 30p per week  (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/789075.stm) So it would take over 16 weeks to save for a 1/24 Harrier - 1975 2nd Edition Price List (90077-3) RRP £5.15.

Average pocket money in 2020 was 7.50 pounds (https://www.statista.com/statistics/328772/average-amount-of-weekly-pocket-money-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/), so would take about 13 weeks.

But it was the Rolls Royce of kits when it came out. I drooled over the pictures of it found in modelling magazines (and I've still got them!). It was the WNW Lanc of it's day, not the tired old kit it has become over time.

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

1/43 isn't unknown to Airfix

Citroen Xsara T4 WRC 2001
Ford Focus WRC 2002
Jaguar XJS 1998
Land Rover 1998
McLaren F1 2001
Mini 1998
Mitsubishi WRC 2002
Peugeot 206 WRC'00 2001 *
Peugeot 206 WRC'03 2004 *
Peugeot 307 WRC'04 2005
Subaru Ev2 Asphalt 2003 *
Subaru Impreza WRC 2001
Williams F1 2001

Most, if not all, of those kits were originated by Heller.

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

Is anyone else surprised (apologies if already mentioned) that the Rotodyne isn't back despite Airfix showing a picture of the tooling on social media last year?

Yes, but I honestly think there are more Vintage Classic kits to come.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, At Sea said:

I don’t know if the 1/24 kits make much money for Airfix or a prestigious loss leaders.  But I am pleased they are aiming high.

I read somewhere that at least the 1/24 Typhoon was an economical success, and regarding that, I guess that the Spitfire surely will make lots of money for them - altough it is surely an enormous investment.

Funny about the re-released Harrier btw. I thought about it just a few weeks ago, and started looking for the kit but without success. This will be a pleasant return!

Edited by Bjorn

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Is anyone else surprised (apologies if already mentioned) that the Rotodyne isn't back despite Airfix showing a picture of the tooling on social media last year?

No, the very fact the tooling is/was still in the Uk suggests they are not intending re-releasing it at this time. The Airfix Head of Brand said as much on a YouTube channel broadcast a couple of weeks back

• Thanks 1

Particularly pleased to see the Beagle Bassett.

I missed it back in the day and always wondered if it was a decent kit.

Thinking of a diorama with a Raspberry Ripple XS743 - which I last saw parked in a kneeling position at the side of a runway somewhere in Wiltshire

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Most, if not all, of those kits were originated by Heller.

Oh yes, I was just pointing out that Airfix had issued cars in that scale previously.

12 hours ago, New Tool said:

Trying to upload the new Harrier boxart (last picture on Scalemates link above). 

This might fail, I'm having difficulty posting images (from a  web picture upload site).

https://ibb.co/j5k7mzd

20220111-222041.jpg

That's not necessarily the new box art, it's an original Roy Cross rough done for the original release and has been used for a mock up for the vintage classics release, final box design is yet to be confirmed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very happy with the Vintage selection that Airfix mentioned. I would like to get the Bassett, the Beaver, the Whirlwind helicopter (despite the scale problems which I never knew about until it was mentioned on BM recently), and the pair of HM Ships. And possibly some others.

And there are still plenty of others from their back catalogue that I would like to see again with the higher quality transfers.

Ray

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, New Tool said:

The average UK pocket money in 1975 was about 30p per week  (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/789075.stm) So it would take over 16 weeks to save for a 1/24 Harrier - 1975 2nd Edition Price List (90077-3) RRP £5.15.

Average pocket money in 2020 was 7.50 pounds (https://www.statista.com/statistics/328772/average-amount-of-weekly-pocket-money-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/), so would take about 13 weeks.

But it was the Rolls Royce of kits when it came out. I drooled over the pictures of it found in modelling magazines (and I've still got them!). It was the WNW Lanc of it's day, not the tired old kit it has become over time.

My point, really.  This is not a new tool - by any stretch of the imagination.

This is the first time they've made a fuss of issuing them under this label so who knows what they have in mind, but previous issues of older kits have simply come and gone.  The general principle, as for many years with all manufacturers, is "If you want it, get it when you see it."  Yes this can result in large piles of boxes cluttering the house, but does mean it will be there when you get around to making it.

• Like 1

I must admit, I always liked the Airfix 1/24 Harrier, I have built a couple including the Sea Harrier version. It seems to be good in outline though the riveting on the surface is a bit over the top. It looks good when built & I would be tempted again. It’s certainly a better shape than the re-released Revell 1/32 one which is a mix of Kestrel/Harrier prototype.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The general principle, as for many years with all manufacturers, is "If you want it, get it when you see it."  Yes this can result in large piles of boxes cluttering the house, but does mean it will be there when you get around to making it.

Interesting point that, and something I think that has passed me by. I'm still used to kits being issued and being in shops for ages, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. I wonder if the market is bigger these days for hoarding than building.

I even found three Airfix Valiants on a shop shelf in West Wales before it was reissued last year.

The big Harrier is a classic case of this, and there always seems to be one about, so much so that I'm surprised at the reaction to its re-release now.

It's a kit I really like, and agree with what MattW says, it looks accurate, and you can put in as much extra work as you feel is needed.

• Like 3

On 12/01/2022 at 02:25, k5054nz said:

Maybe they were undertaking some work on the tooling to get it ready for release next year, i remember airfix making a big issue about sepecat jaguars and they put several posts out about b-24 liberators  summertimish yet none of those subjects featured as new releases, airfix don't work on a 12 month calender, more like a two year cycle .

Edited by gavingav1

I really like the Vintage Classics range, but its only 2022 releases that include some items I'd really like to get. I'm looking forward to the Beaver and Basset, and the return of HMS Devonshire is tempting to, although I haven't built a 1/600 ship since I was twelve. The large scale Harrier is nice to be back in the range, but I think I have two in the stash already. I surprised they have not done more on the Falklands theme, and re-issued the 1/24 Sea Harrier instead. I have two of those in the stash to, I think I need to thin the stash somewhat!

Colin  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

The large scale Harrier is nice to be back in the range, but I think I have two in the stash already. 

Colin  

You 'think' you might have them??

How could you possibly miss them?

You must have a huge stash.

Mind you, I have a 1/48 Sea Vixen that I can't  locate ... 'been looking for it for days. That's a big box too. It's driving me mad. And where's my Whitley gone? 😕

Cheers

Edited by New Tool
Tomfoolery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, New Tool said:

You 'think' you might have them??

How could you possibly miss them?

You must have a huge stash.

Mind you, I have a 1/48 Sea Vixen that I can't  locate ... 'been looking for it for days. That's a big box too. It's driving me mad. And where's my Whitley gone? 😕

Cheers

Actually it might be three! Got them in the local Woolworths probably 20 years ago. They were on offer at £15 each, so I got rather carried away and bought five, at least a couple have moved on, the others are right at the back of the loft with one of the Sea Harriers. The stash is definitely too big, its full of vintage classics already!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3