2022 Airfix Vintage Classics

Paul821

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

this was one of those kits issued in a limited edition a few years ago with Airfix indicating it would be the last release.

Limited Editions traditionally (for Airfix) come at the end of a production run (probably when they're left with stock) or to test the water.

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Interesting the Beagle Basset is in ther as I thought (like last years Jetstream) this was one of those kits issued in a limited edition a few years ago with Airfix indicating it would be the last release.

At that time I Airfix indicated the end of their KitStarter scheme,  not the final release for any kit.

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

Isn't the Whirlwind underscale at 78th or  76th?    Maybe they are testing the waters for a new tool ?

Yes, it is. I seem to recall an article in which the kit was put against scale plans which indicated that the front end and the tailboom are to different scales. The already ancient (1956) tooling was also bumped up from Series 1 to Series 2 back in the 1970s, perhaps because the sprues wouldn't fit in the new blister pack that had superseded the polybag. The blister pack has been history for decades but seemingly the mark up endures for ever.

• Like 3

For those of you contemplating a nice Beaver (sorry I couldn't resist) can I recommend looking up the Historic Army Aircraft Flight up on facebook. One of the HAAF engineering team is a keen photographer and posts many photos of the HAAF's aircraft (Beaver, Scout,, Sioux, Auster Mk 1, Auster AOP9 and Skeeter), taken during maintenance and operations. ie. more detail than a modeller could ask for (although he also does requests if you do need more).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shame there aren't any more of the 1/32 cars mentioned. I see the E type that was teased in the advent calendar is 1/43rd so was/ is this the Heller tooling????  

The 48th Sabre must be the long wing san variant I take it and the Spit 18 is the 14 with a bigger rudder maybe.   Anson I like but will think about it,   As for the other 1/72 re issues the German types will be welcome to Luftwafffe fans , I like the Spit 22 with new markings as too the Swordfish, Blenheim to start with. Classics;

: well the Whirlwind is OK but still prefer a newer tool or the Italeri one. Sadly no Chipmunk old or new tooling, The est well fair enough, its what Airfix want to do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Basset and Beaver, oh my!  Perhaps we'll see a Cherokee and Bloodhound next?

The Bloodhound was actually mentioned as being the ‘Poll Winner’ in the last Airfix Workbench blog and from how I read things was going to be part of the 2022 Vintage Classics release. Judging by what we now know, perhaps this is not the case? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

The 1/72 aircraft choices are also a hit with me. Good to see that Airfix has selected a couple of gems from the early 1970s (F-80, Beaver). Previously, I think most if not all the Vintage Classic toolings were from the 1960s and even 1950s.

• Like 2

I see Beaver Fever has taken hold. I used to paint them 1/1 scale, and I could probably write a book of Beaver jokes! Maybe call it Beaver Tales…
All kidding aside, I am happy to see them rerelease their DHC-2 hahaha. I prefer it over the Hobbycrap one. If you’re making a civilized Beaver, most had either no ceiling windows or they were replaced with aluminium sheet. Most modern Beaver’s have squarish aluminium strake plates attached to the ends of the horizontal stabilizer, instead of the old single rounded one underneath the empennage. There are many different side window configurations also. A lot of potential for this welcome classic, you can’t have too many Beaver’s.

I love the F-80, nice little kit. Wasn’t expecting the CAC Boomerang, that’s one I made in the 70’s from the bagged kit, I think I paid 49¢. My grandson was born in Melbourne, so that might be a nice first glue together kit.

What do you get when you cross a Beaver with a Boomerang? I’ll leave the answers up to you guys.

Jeff 😉

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

I see the E type that was teased in the advent calendar is 1/43rd so was/ is this the Heller tooling????  

Heller's E-Type was in 1/24 scale, they never did a 1/43 scale kit of it. All three of the 1/43 scale cars are shown as new moulds on the Airfix website..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

A01307V Joseph Stalin JS3 Russian Tank

Why Airfix why.....it is very inaccurate, the turret being a complete figment of someone's imagination.  There are several far better 1/72 kits available.

Presumably a lot of 1/76 scale modellers asked for it to be rereleased. :shrug:

• Like 1

The JS3 was recognised as being highly inaccurate even back in the 1960s, to the point that Airfix Magazine published an article on correcting some of its faults. A strange choice but then Airfix must have thought there was a market for their dreadful "Sturmovik" when they re-released it in 2010.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

The Harrier is the 1:24th one which is nice, surprised it's being released as a GR.1 and not a GR.3, given the Falklands anniversary this year.

I wonder if the GR.3 (or to be more precise the laser nose bits as GR.3 refers to the airframe not the nose I think?) sprue is included?

If so XtraDecal did a great GR.3 sheet in 1/48 they could upscale.

I hope the 1/24 Harrier is out there to test the market.

Thinking of equivalent sized British jets kitted in smaller scales by Airfix a 1/24 Hawk or Lightning could be a possibility if there is sufficient uptake.

I would love a 1/24 Folland Gnat. 

I don’t know if the 1/24 kits make much money for Airfix or a prestigious loss leaders.  But I am pleased they are aiming high.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the earlier 1/24 Harrier compares to the 1997 1/24 GR3 release? I was disappointed with that later release - huge rivet dimples and rough grainy surface texture.

According to Scalemates the later one has 'new parts' (rather than 'new tool'), so were there many identical parts? Or is the older one better?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-18003-harrier-gr3-av-8a-av-8s--179971

Edited by New Tool

15 minutes ago, New Tool said:

Does anyone know how the earlier 1/24 Harrier compares to the 1997 1/24 GR3 release?

To my understanding the 1997 GR.3 ‘New parts’ issue was just the same 1974 GR.1 kit with additional parts to make it to that later version. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 4:41 PM, 71chally said:

The Harrier is the 1:24th one which is nice, surprised it's being released as a GR.1 and not a GR.3, given the Falklands anniversary this year.

Not that I would buy it anyway, but £97!!!  Are they serious?

2 hours ago, New Tool said:

Trying to upload the new Harrier boxart (last picture on Scalemates link above). 

This might fail, I'm having difficulty posting images (from a  web picture upload site).

https://ibb.co/j5k7mzd

20220111-222041.jpg

On their website they've changed it to the original 1/24th artwork.

13 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

The JS3 was recognised as being highly inaccurate even back in the 1960s, to the point that Airfix Magazine published an article on correcting some of its faults. A strange choice but then Airfix must have thought there was a market for their dreadful "Sturmovik" when they re-released it in 2010.

Could be worse though.  Revells P-51D is an abomination.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

Heller's E-Type was in 1/24 scale, they never did a 1/43 scale kit of it. All three of the 1/43 scale cars are shown as new moulds on the Airfix website..

But Heller did make a 1/43 Jaguar XJ-S, which might make a nice companion model 

169613-12155-55-pristine.jpg