1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XII (rebox) & F.Mk.XVIII (new variant) by Airfix - Mk.XII & F.Mk.XVIII released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Xtradecal sheet for 1/48 Spitfire FR Mk18

Interesting, enlarging the decal instructions it claims various airframes had the XIV type rudder,  where AFAIK all XVIII's have the broad rudder.  I'd need to check photos.  

Also no note on the XVIII wing, and a shame only 1 option in the desert scheme, as there are other documented airframes, and would only have needed a new letter and serial adding.   And no Indian options, shame as they were one of the main users of the type. 

Just to muddy the waters somewhat, latest issue of Aeroplane Monthly popped through the door yesterday. Air Leasing are restoring an ex RAF/BAF FR.14 for an owner in France. Interestingly they are using wings off an ex Indian 18 and ‘modding the gun bays’ to make them the right spec. When it appears I’d be wary of using it as a source maybe?

Trevor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The 18 has been discussed here om Britmodeller earlier. The panelling on the wing is different and also the underbelly cameras on the FR.18. It will be very interesting to see where Airfix research leads to!

The decal sheet will be useful as well for desert modellers , aside from late roundels the squadron insignia and late stencilling seems to be included.

Pity about the lack of Indian markings. Besides interesting early chakras, there were also many painted with later indian roundels. A separate decal sheet perhaps? There is a beautiful book about Indian Spits that covers these in detail. hard to find but worth looking for!

Tomas

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked Airfix homepage:

Both marking alternatives are said to be F Mk.XVIII:

The IAF HS887 seems not to have existed with that serial (HS8XX series did not exist at all, according to Spitfires in the Sun, V Singh)

The RAF TP222/B seems more correct (60 Sq. Malaysia), although TP207 has been illustrated as B in other references.

Airfix mentions "New rocket sprue", no pics of sprues yet.

I'm Curious.As.Hell on how Airfix will treat the wings!

Tomas

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

The IAF HS887 seems not to have existed with that serial (HS8XX series did not exist at all, according to Spitfires in the Sun, V Singh)

The RAF TP222/B seems more correct (60 Sq. Malaysia), although TP207 has been illustrated as B in other references.

Tomas

Me to with the wings.

Although I think they’ll just leave them as per the original MkXIV kit. 

James 

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Me to with the wings.

Although I think they’ll just leave them as per the original MkXIV kit. 

James 

I'd say you're right, I'd be very surprised if this kit proves to be anything more than a re-issue of the Mk. XIV with an added 'rocket sprue' and a new decal sheet (though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Tomas

Have a look here - there are pics of the rocket sprue in the workbench article

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/mitchells-masterpiece-inherits-griffon-power

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Have a look here - there are pics of the rocket sprue in the workbench article

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/mitchells-masterpiece-inherits-griffon-power

Interesting - the wording used by Airfix (i.e., "The Spitfire Mk.XVIII was visually almost identical to the Mk.XIV..." and "The new kit will feature this additional frame of parts...") would strongly imply that it's just the previously issued Mk. XIV with a new sprue and no other changes (in particular, the same wing parts).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, john224 said:

In the picture of the rocket sprue, what are the 2 parts to the left of the large bomb? They look like hatches of about the right size.

Solid hatches to replace the Photo-recon camera hatches in the fuselage maybe?

They appear to have a curvature?

1 hour ago, hopkp said:

would strongly imply that it's just the previously issued Mk. XIV with a new sprue and no other changes (in particular, the same wing parts).

If Airfix won't tool up a new fuselage and a few new bits for a high back XIV, there is no chance they will tool up a up new wing for a few panels., most people won't notice, I don't know any reference that clearly shows the wing panels changes, the Spitfire the History i think has a small drawing of the access panels.   And the panel changes are mostly filling panel lines and scribing one new rectangular hatch.

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

the wording used by Airfix (i.e., "The Spitfire Mk.XVIII was visually almost identical to the Mk.XIV..."

which is true.

the decal placement shows a standard E wing.   

the decals for the bomb are a neat touch.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tea Taster said:

Solid hatches to replace the Photo-recon camera hatches in the fuselage maybe?

They appear to have a curvature?

I couldn't see why those wouldn't be on the XIV sprues (haven't checked to see) since they would be needed for F rather than FR 14's.

Looking at the painting/decal guide it does seem to show the standard wing of the 14 with the outer Browning hatches.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XII (rebox) & F.Mk.XVIII (new variant) by Airfix - Mk.XII released

On 4/22/2022 at 4:26 AM, Dereknf said:

Further to a previous comment on the 595 Sqn  Mk.XII., I have this image of MB845 at Aberporth. Note the cut-off cannon and late-war roundels on the wing upper surface.

52021322738_f274010154_o.jpgSpitfire XII MB845 7B - Z 595 Sqn Aberporth_3 by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

Thanks for posting this, this is the exact Mk.XII I am building though will be doing it pre V-E day with cannons. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XII (rebox) & F.Mk.XVIII (new variant) by Airfix - Mk.XII & F.Mk.XVIII released