1/48 - Avro Anson Mk.I by Airfix - released

Homebee

Apparently, there is more than one kind of “correct” Anson upper wing surface detail. The Airfix renditoin looks a lot like some of the photos posted here but it does not look much like the wing of the one in Ottowa. Got up close and personal with that one and paid very careful attention because I was trying to figure out what to do with the 1/72 Special Hobby one at the time and rather flummoxed by the contradictory published and posted information I was reading. The wings I examined very close up were as smooth as could be. Not a sign of a ripple or even a panel line. I assume it was plywood covered with fabric since the only surface detail at all was the pinked edge of a layer of fabric that ran spanwise along what I think was the rear spar. That detail was so fine that it wasn’t visible a few feet away.

Someone  more knowledgeable than me on the subject of Annie may be able to explain this but I am sure I saw what I saw.

The example in the Canadian Air Force Museum is a Mark II. According to the info on their own website the wings are new to the restoration, as the originals had completely rotted away. Since the discussion started on Hyperscale there has been the posting there of a fascinating range of photos of wooden wing Ansons, with wings that range in details and divots from the barely discernable to the totally dishevelled. A restoration is going to tend towards the factory fresh end of the equation, and no one is flying a wooden wing Anson today, so we can’t just pop out to the airfield and have a look at what service does to the airframe. Happily the range of conditions evident in photos means that there is evidence to support just about any kind of wing detailing, or lack of detailing, that you care to introduce to a model of an Aggie, depending on whether it is factory fresh, old and tired, suffering from being flown in combat against BF 109s, left out in a damp northern winter, or being mistreated by clump-handed trainees. Personally I reckon the Airfix Aggie will look fine under a coat of paint and sits within the range of possible surface ‘looks’ in the historical record although, as with any interpretation, there are bound to be differing and quite valid views. In the video I was fascinated to see the process of both research and decision making that goes into producing a model including resolving the questions thrown up when two dimensional drawings just don’t translate into workable three-dimensional arrangements.

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The Canadians put a lot of effort into wooden skins for the Anson, at least on their own variants.  Either they did this on some Mk.Is as well or perhaps the wing has come from another mark?

Nothing beats Fir plywood in Canada 🍁 

• Haha 1

Anson wings also left the Newton Heath factory with smooth surfaces.

The problem Airfix has, is that they have (presumably) laser scanned the Anson 1 at Duxford, which last flew sometime in the 60's before being retired to an unheated hangar at Staverton and now resides in a heated hangar at Duxford. No wonder the ply surface has altered. Laser scanning may be the dog's do-dahs for dimensional accuracy but when it comes to surface imperfections on old wooden aircraft, 'There be Dragons'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest workbench, this is stunning...

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-avro-anson-preparing-flight-exclusive?fbclid=IwAR3v2L1ekmBg96M4T6Fj0qSoiKAiuQLH2CvvyWwpVWOXGIAukV7iAFjIgv8

L_New_Airfix_Avro_Anson_model_kit_nears_

Regarding the baggy wing surface, I'm not quite convinced by the representation, up close anyway - but I think it makes quite a nice effect when looking at the overall model.

My biggest gripe is that I hadn't planned to buy another model this year and that looks about to change!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

That build looks very good - agree about the wings, not convinced either. Hoping a bit of wet ‘n dry will knock that back a bit.

Just hope the canopies are a better effort than their recent 1/72 Meteor kit.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 22:28, occa said:

Dear uncle Airfix, pretty please downscale the kit to 1:72 as well as the Walrus !!!!

I share your wish, but I'm not optimistic. Airfix releases so few kits in a year, and it seems that those aircraft that they cover in both 1/48 and 1/72 are the most 'iconic' ones, like spitfires, hurricanes, messerschmitts, tomahawks etc. I blame all our fellow humans who don't build scale models. If the hobby was popular like it was 50 - 60 years ago, Airfix could release tens of kits every year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

Airfix releases so few kits in a year, and it seems that those aircraft that they cover in both 1/48 and 1/72 are the most 'iconic' ones, like spitfires, hurricanes, messerschmitts, tomahawks etc. 

With respect I disagree.  They seem to be working through the Classic Airframes' catalogue, in which case roll on the Whirlwind, Hudson, Attacker, and others.

• Like 2

At around 08.30 on 1st June 1940, Pilot Officer Philip 'Pete' Peters took off from Detling airfield as the lead aircraft of three RAF No.500 'County of Kent' RAuxAF Avro Ansons, setting a course for France. 

My late father did not talk much about his war time experiences but he did explain the elation at RAF Detling when an Anson flight returned after downing multiple Me109.  I thought the story was that one had weapons fitted to fire back under the aircraft but perhaps it was to the side.  Memories can get confused. My father who was ground crew at Detling had several photos of an Anson which I'm sure had MK markings.  I just wish they had not disappeared at sometime before Dad and Mum died.  

1 hour ago, Dave Batt said:

With respect I disagree.  They seem to be working through the Classic Airframes' catalogue, in which case roll on the Whirlwind, Hudson, Attacker, and others.

I was comparing the number of kits that they are releasing now, to the number that they released in their heyday long ago. They are actually releasing quite many new tools for a relatively small company, especially if we include all the kits that are not aircraft. The point that I was making that they don't necessarily (unfortunately) follow up a 1/48 release with a 1/72 of the same aircraft, or vice versa. There's  Blenheim Mk I in both 1/72 and 1/48, so time will tell if Mk IV will follow. Or a 1/48 Beaufort, they have make hard decisions, as the resources are limited. I have a 1/32 Whirlwind in the stash, it's huge. Would love a new 1/72 or even 1/48, so I can sell the giant.

The wing sag issue can be resolved quite easily. Spray the afftected areas with filler primer ( I swear by Halfords). Wrap a piece of cloth round a flat hard edge with some white spirit on it and rub the paint off the high spots. Dust a primer coat over and repeat as needed. I did this on a Trumpy Wellington very successfully after learning it on Britmodeller. My experience is to do this before any assembly as it's much easier.

With something like this it's hard to judge from photographs so will always be a matter of personal preference, matt surfaces flatten contours very effectively.

• Like 2

Was on the fence for this but pretty sure will buy one now, when are they due?

An Eduard canopy/turret mask set would be desirable too ... I presume they are working on this.

• Like 1