1/48 - Avro Anson Mk.I by Airfix - released

Homebee

35 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

At least some Ansons had metal wings, does anyone know when these were introduced on the production line?

The metal wings (sharper tapered and longer span) came in post war with the Series II Anson C 19. However, to prolong their lives some earlier airframes built with the wooden wing were refitted with the metal wings. The Anson Mk I currently airworthy in New Zealand is one such aircraft. (ie. modellers beware)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, New Tool said:

Why do you think that?

Read the attached article. It is based on research in the National Archives and RAAF records. Just because someone made the kit scheme and Special Hobby copied the Airfix scheme does not in any way validate it.

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

What should it be like then?

See above

• Like 1

Hafta admit, I didn't see that coming!  Wow, Airfix!  I think the only indication I had was an illustration on the cover of Airfix World some years back, indicating that there was some heightened interest in the type.  Blessed are those that build in 48th!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

That was one out of left field - but I'm not complaining! East-West Airlines started with Ansons, and there are a couple of nice Eeny-Weeny schemes, not to mention many other Australian civil ones (DCA, CSIRO, NSW Police - the list goes on ...). This should make the task MUCH simpler!

Now, what do I do with my CA ones?

Flog 'em Admiral.! There'll always be some people that haven't received the memo, just wait a couple of months so the excitement over this  release dies down.  As long as you are not charging premium price for them, they should go.

Bruce

13 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Read the attached article. It is based on research in the National Archives and RAAF records. Just because someone made the kit scheme and Special Hobby copied the Airfix scheme does not in any way validate it.

See above

Well I guess the code letter colour is one of those things that we will probably never no for sure and of course what is written Isn't always what happens.  Unless Airfix supply the square type rear window it would take a bit of modification anyway to produce that airframe.

7 hours ago, percival p. said:

The cad renders show a different, smoother, engine cowling as an option.

Can anybody suggest what other variants might be released later?

The Anson I had both smooth and faired cowlings - the one at Duxford has the smotth cowlings.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:52 PM, Ed Russell said:

A real one does not have much at all visible on the smooth plywod covered wings. The second camouflage scheme is almost certainly fantasy.

I'm curious, and not trying to disprove what you're saying. They codes may be the wrong colour (maybe, but in the article it says there is no record of the colour) ... but do you really mean that the camouflage scheme is 'almost certainly fantasy'? Short- lived and experemental though it was, it seems from your link to have existed. Do you mean this camouflage scheme never existed?

32 minutes ago, New Tool said:

it seems from your link to have existed

Indeed it existed but it was not the standard Coastal Command camouflage drawn by pioneering RAAF historian Geoffrey Pentland. AW665 was delivered in Dark Green, Dark Earth, Sky camouflage and repainted after repair in Earth Brown, Foliage Green, Sky Blue camouflage. The documentation of the trial shows it involved only the undersurface and the only colours mentioned are Gloss White and Matt White, so why would you bother repainting the upper surface? Manpower for maintenance is often mentioned as a critical factor at the time. The Coastal Command codes specified at the time were not Red but Light Slate Grey. Red had been removed in the RAF and RAAF for some time due to confusion with Japanese markings. Pentland likely did not have access to the full documentation.

14 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Unless Airfix supply the square type rear window

I am sure Airfix are aware of that. Not a difficult modification anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

I am sure Airfix are aware of that. Not a difficult modification anyway.

Indeed, though their profile artist isn't aware of it so they might not be aware. But neither is changing the code letter colour difficult.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, Aeronut said:

However, to prolong their lives some earlier airframes built with the wooden wing were refitted with the metal wings. The Anson Mk I currently airworthy in New Zealand is one such aircraft. (ie. modellers beware)

That's the one I want to build, so I think I'll need to do a bit of planning and have lots of reference photos to mod the wing.

Edited by k5054nz

I really like Airfix kits and am very excited about this release!  I think I will keep my old Classic Airframe in the stash for now as it is a different version but I will most likely build the Airfix one first and then decide to dump it.  Well done Mr. Airfix, I appreciate all the work that goes into a new kit!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:16 AM, Ed Russell said:

The colour profiles are years old and do not necessarily reflect exactly what will be in the kit.

Hi Ed,

for what it's worth, Airfix does listen to constructive criticism and informed advice. If you've got the information to back up the colour scheme, let them know - [email protected]. I've contacted them in the past and pointed them to discussion on Britmodeller on two occasions, with the Whitley (shape of the bomb aimer's window - they corrected it) and the Free French edition of the Blenheim (colour of the French cockades - they subsequently included both red and blue). If they include some explanatory info about the colour scheme and both grey and red codes, and ask the modeller to choose, that's a win-win.

Best, Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't a better solution be to ditch a debatable scheme that only actually appeared on one airframe for a very limited time (and which was then painted over) and opt for a scheme more representative of the Anson in WW2 RAAF service?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jeff Wilson said:

Airfix does listen to constructive criticism

Indeed they do and are listening in this case. We have given them advice on Australian-themed items over the last few years.

If you've got the information to back up the colour scheme

Read the link provided

a scheme more representative of the Anson in WW2 RAAF service?

The Red Roo decal set which includes PP-B also has DJ287 PP-K from the same unit in the usual scheme. Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky. After overhaul or damage repair they were repainted in RAAF colours - Foliage Green/Earth Brown/Sky Blue or later, overall Foliage Green. Lots to choose from.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/raaf-ansons/

• Like 1

Another of Airfix's new releases that will be finding it's way to Chez Haskell. Can't wait, Will be building it for my Dad, as he flew in one with Jim Mollison, (Amy Johnson's husband).

• Like 4

Just a quick question regarding the canopy shape.

The very early Mk.1's had the shallow front canopy but this kit seems to just have the steeper version (also fitted to later Mk.1's) so which one is being provided as I can't find any shots to confirm?

Regards

Colin.

2 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

Just a quick question regarding the canopy shape.

The very early Mk.1's had the shallow front canopy but this kit seems to just have the steeper version (also fitted to later Mk.1's) so which one is being provided as I can't find any shots to confirm?

Regards

Colin.

The CAD images seem to show 2 different windscreens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

Yes both are provided. The guys on a YouTube channel do a nice discussion on the release here from 53:10 and plenty of discussion on the windscreen options and markings provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfnON2CTmWg

Ray

• Thanks 2