1/48 - Avro Anson Mk.I by Airfix - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Oh, that looks rather tasty!

Time to dig out the photos I took at Speke in 1982, which is the only time I've seen one in the flesh.

I was around Speke Airport in 82. Which Annie did you see there?

Trevor

4 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Nice but at Gbp 46.99 might only get one 

cheers

jerry 

yes, although the kit seems to be worth it, this price will most probably limit my purchase to only one Anson 😥

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I was around Speke Airport in 82. Which Annie did you see there?

It must have been in June because I had just finished my first-year exams, and there was an airshow there one Sunday. There was an Anson in the static display. I need to dig out the photos from the day for more details.

Aha! WD413.
These pictures are better than mine: https://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=4437

31 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

It must have been in June because I had just finished my first-year exams, and there was an airshow there one Sunday. There was an Anson in the static display. I need to dig out the photos from the day for more details.

Aha! WD413.
These pictures are better than mine: https://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=4437

That’s a postwar 19 or 21 with a deeper cabin.

Still, more schemes than you could reasonably build, this’ll make many people happy 👍

Trevor

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The second camouflage scheme is almost certainly fantasy.

Why do you think that?

https://ibb.co/thpfVWZ

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/bombers/plesanson.htm

Edited by New Tool

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Judging by the first main illustration the lattice affect on the wings is more subtle than the CA/SH rendition ?

Mike

One would hope so as it was a plywood skin not ties like the CA or fabric like the ancient Airfix 1:72 kit. However, the CAD seems to show that the surface is a little tired, presumably Airfix's designer has been looking at a museum example that hasn't flown in many a year.

• Like 1

Hi

well i put one on preorder at 10% off at hannants 

and put the new 1:24 spitfire IX  purchase on the backburner unti 2023 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

That was one out of left field - but I'm not complaining! East-West Airlines started with Ansons, and there are a couple of nice Eeny-Weeny schemes, not to mention many other Australian civil ones (DCA, CSIRO, NSW Police - the list goes on ...). This should make the task MUCH simpler!

Now, what do I do with my CA ones?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

One would hope so as it was a plywood skin not ties like the CA or fabric like the ancient Airfix 1:72 kit. However, the CAD seems to show that the surface is a little tired, presumably Airfix's designer has been looking at a museum example that hasn't flown in many a year.

At least some Ansons had metal wings, does anyone know when these were introduced on the production line?

2 hours ago, mick b said:

Judging by the first main illustration the lattice affect on the wings is more subtle than the CA/SH rendition ?

Mike

Had the opportunity to see one in the flesh at the Canadian National Warplane Museum in Ottawa (well worth the trip if you ever get the opportunity). I was surprised to find the wing upper surfaces to be absolutely smooth. Nary a panel line or a sag in sight. The only surface detail was a barely visible pinked fabric edge that ran along the rear spar line. Most surprising to someone brought up on the old Airfix 1/72 kit.

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

A real one does not have much at all visible on the smooth plywod covered wings. The second camouflage scheme is almost certainly fantasy.

What should it be like then?

Anson

a09191-17.jpg

• Like 4

The early issues of the Airfix 1/72 Anson kit had smooth wings with raised panel lines. Later on, Airfix modified the tooling to (incorrectly) represent fabric covered wings. It would have been better if they had left the tooling alone. In addition most of the box art variations represented an aircraft with the early shallow sloped windshield but the kit always came with the more upright version.

76838P1010045.JPG

• Like 5