1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That Youtube video says 1/48...   not sure that's correct... :) 

24 quid for a 1/48 kit would be a bargain. 

yes, they say the same thing about the old Westland Whirlwind chopper as well? 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - 3D renders+sprues+schemes+box art+test build - release Autumn 2022
On 8/30/2022 at 2:13 PM, lasermonkey said:

I mean, it looks nice and all, but I still ain’t paying twenty four quid for it.

£24 isn’t worth what it used to be. Right now you can only get 27.63 American dollars for £24 and this kit is a steal at 27 bucks. That’s cheaper than the Special Hobby Meteor kits.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

That’s cheaper than the Special Hobby Meteor kits.

In the UK the Special Hobby nightfighter Meteors are about six quid cheaper than the Airfix kit.  Oddly enough, the SH Meteor 8 is a comparable price to the Airfix one.

51 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

£24 isn’t worth what it used to be. Right now you can only get 27.63 American dollars for £24 and this kit is a steal at 27 bucks. That’s cheaper than the Special Hobby Meteor kits.

I’ve never paid more than £15 posted for a Special Hobby Meteor. I guess we’ll have to agree to differ on value for money. 

4 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I’ve never paid more than £15 posted for a Special Hobby Meteor. I guess we’ll have to agree to differ on value for money. 

The reality is that if I’m somewhat clever and order enough from the Airfix shop to get free shipping then, subtracting VAT and the Airfix Club discount, I can get the new Meteor kit for £18 ($20.70) shipped to the US.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

In the UK the Special Hobby nightfighter Meteors are about six quid cheaper than the Airfix kit.  Oddly enough, the SH Meteor 8 is a comparable price to the Airfix one.

The cheapest one I’ve seen in a US online retail store (not ebay) is $25.89 for the NF.11.

I hate to think how many NZD this will end up at (RRP series 1 kits are about £13.2 now here!) ... 

My main concern is Airfix's short shot fever(a couple of their spitfire Vc's had missing parts of the tail!) ...its a PITA to return to retailer, often the wholesaler has no more, order in etc... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

One aspect of these post war aircraft, from my perspective, is their sheer collectibility. The range of colourful RAF squadron markings (not to mention use by many overseas airforces too) screams buy more than one... (at least to me anyway!). Clearly cost is going to limit many ambitions for multiple copies. But I get the feeling in my bones that this is going to be a very popular kit and demand is going to be very high so undecided whether to get several copies as a hedge against inflation  and future availability. I have to say I generally look around for the best deals - either cost or postage (I have no LMS), ideally both; so hopefully will end up paying a little less than RRP.

There's a build review of a test shot of the kit in the latest issue of Airfix Model World magazine (October 2022). The review highlights the elegance of the moulding and precision of fit; the reviewer describing it as arguably the best Airfix kit he's ever built - "a throughly enjoyable build". Unused parts indicate a PR9 and Aussie F.8 to feature in future releases with both metal reinforced and clear canopies included together with different engine intakes providing plenty of options. I hope this kit offers the prospect that Airfix will do some of their earlier 1/48 scale kits in 1/72. Hopefully it will be a best seller making the prospect of new kits of Javelins, Vampires & Hunters perfectly possible.  I'll certainly be grabing at least one little meatbox.

Rich

spacer.png

Edited by RichG
  • Like 5

I understand peoples comments about the price of the kit, we all have to manage the amount we spend on our hobby according to our budgets but...

...I often think whether £24 is a reasonable price for a mainstream kit of the Meteor F.8 and then compare it to the recent Hobby Boss A-4 Skyhawk, which retails at a certain on-line hobby shop for £32-99, so suddenly the Airfix Meteor represents better value to me.

Some people have commented that as a home produced product the Meteor shouldn't cost so much, granted, the kit is designed and developed here but where do Airfix get their moulds cut these days?  Are these still outsourced to China?  Then there's the mouldings themselves, aren't these mostly done in India.  The decals are by Cartograph in Italy, I'm not sure where the boxes are printed?  Perhaps the instructions are printed in the UK but the point is, little of the kit is really home grown only slightly more than the Hobby Boss A-4.  As such Airfix have to pay the prices associated with transporting products half way around the globe.  Then there's the 20% VAT which gets added to the cost.

So for me, the cost is bearable, I'll get (no short shots permitting), a well moulded kit which provides me with both types of canopy, aileron and intake without having to go to the effort of having to sand the outer wing panels to a reasonable thickness whilst simultaneously, not turning the circular engine cowlings egg shaped.  I'm looking forward to this kit, I'll buy many over time. and if anyone's interested, I'll be getting rid of my Xtrakit (SH) moulded Meteors.

1 hour ago, AWFK10 said:

Those panel lines on the test build, as opposed to the real thing.......  But in any case I'm going to stick with the Xtrakit Meteors in my stash which are already bought and paid for.

You can say that about most kits, especially in smaller scales, but don't get me started in the perceived need by many modellers to flood them with dark washes and pre/post/in-between shading on, for example, Canberras with their (usually) very smooth skin joints.  If they really offend you that much a little filler or a thickish coat of primer should tone 'em down a bit.  For now the ones on the Meteor will do me just fine (sans wash).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stever219 said:

You can say that about most kits, especially in smaller scales, but don't get me started in the perceived need by many modellers to flood them with dark washes and pre/post/in-between shading on, for example, Canberras with their (usually) very smooth skin joints.  If they really offend you that much a little filler or a thickish coat of primer should tone 'em down a bit.  For now the ones on the Meteor will do me just fine (sans wash).

What puzzles me is why people like Airfix (and Revell) do this with models for publicity shots. It makes them look like ill fitting die-casts,, which I'd have thought would have lost them sales, but no, it seems to fulfill some sort of need. I'm not going to get annoyed by someone doing that to their own model, because it's up to them and so long as they like it then fine, but I do take issue when it becomes something to aspire to, and then people give an otherwise promising new kit a load of grief because it looks bad when treated in a way you don't have to. Oh well, it's just a hobby, each to his own, your mileage may vary etcetera.................

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I suspect we will see costs going through the roof with all the stuff around business Energy prices right now. Airfix/Hornby will need a lot more to cover overheads (regardless of material costs, where the kit is manufactured etc).

I just hope we don't lose too many hobbyshops as a result. Scary times.

• Sad 1

Accepting the points made re over ethusiastic washes on panel lines, also perhaps worth bearing in mind that not all lines are actually the consequence of panel line washes. Aircraft of the period often have black lines painted on to designate no-step areas on wing surfaces etc. These are in decal form in but could be perhaps mistaken for panel lines on some kits at first glance impacting on the overall effect. Just a thought... 

Rich (diving for cover... 😀)

• Like 2

Looks nice. Think I'll get one to actually build alongside a Special Hobby NF variant.  

Yes, as stated by others, it would be nice to see many other RAF/FAA Cold War jets done to this standard in 1/72 by Airfix, and yes again, the Javelin and Hunter immediately come to mind. 

I wish Airfix well. This, and the 1/48 Buccaneer and Anson all in one year. Wow! 

Tony  

To RichG - NO STEP areas often reflect the positions of the underlying spars and ribs that support the structure, where skins may be thick enough to resist standing on one side and not the other.  The skins attach to the same spars and ribs, so it would not be a coincidence if the panel lines matched the NO STEP lines.   

Now how to we get the decal to span the trench?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:25 PM, RichG said:

Accepting the points made re over ethusiastic washes on panel lines, also perhaps worth bearing in mind that not all lines are actually the consequence of panel line washes. Aircraft of the period often have black lines painted on to designate no-step areas on wing surfaces etc. These are in decal form in but could be perhaps mistaken for panel lines on some kits at first glance impacting on the overall effect. Just a thought... 

Rich (diving for cover... 😀)

Point taken, but when those black lines are running up and/or along a fuselage side or tail fin you can be fairly sure that walkway boundaries they are not, unless the operator numbers climbers and abseiled among its air-and ground-crews😂😂.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 11:08 PM, AWFK10 said:

Those panel lines on the test build, as opposed to the real thing.......  But in any case I'm going to stick with the Xtrakit Meteors in my stash which are already bought and paid for.

I’ll go with the Airfix, and just not but an over the top wash to accentuate the panel lines.