1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

It looks quite enticing. Diddy scale has its merits, not least of which is that it's still pocket money prices.

Will get this Airfix kit, and a Special Hobby NF.11 to go with it. 

Tony 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - 3D renders+sprues - release Summer 2022

Interesting way the undercarriage has been done, presumably  to help people paint the tyres. Personally not sure about it. 

• Like 1

Some observations from a five minute inspection of the sprues

Fine sprue gates to most parts, an improvement on previous airfix kits, however the third plastic sprue seems to have some problems

Main wheel hubs parts 19 and 20 appear to be short shot with a large flat at one side and not round as may be expected.

Flash appears evident around the two nose pieces

No upper sprue gates at parts 53 and 54  on the lower row of parts, main sprue seems to have a large take off towards those parts possibly indicating a gate to the part should be there

Would the lack of a sprue gate here lead to a short shot part ?

Hopefully this is an early pre production test shot  and quality control at Airfix have noticed any faults and rectified them at this early stage

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

Interesting way the undercarriage has been done, presumably  to help people paint the tyres. Personally not sure about it. 

I noticed that too. I’m curious to see how it will look when assembled but the wheels aren’t going to turn, obviously. 😀

7 hours ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

Fine sprue gates to most parts, an improvement on previous airfix kits, however the third plastic sprue seems to have some problems

Main wheel hubs parts 19 and 20 appear to be short shot with a large flat at one side and not round as may be expected.

No upper sprue gates at parts 53 and 54  on the lower row of parts, main sprue seems to have a large take off towards those parts possibly indicating a gate to the part should be there

Hopefully this is an early pre production test shot  and quality control at Airfix have noticed any faults and rectified them at this early stage

This is why there are test shots; to discover molding issues before the kit is released.

• Like 2

I want mine, I want mine now!

I'd love one of the schemes to be one of the later TFF or 85Sqn schemes, a bit of LAG and Dayglo, what's not to like?

As for the wheels, difficult beggars to say the least, two drag struts and a mudguard for a tricky beggar do make!

2 hours ago, Wez said:

As for the wheels, difficult beggars to say the least, two drag struts and a mudguard for a tricky beggar do make!

Yes it's a tricky balance to strike, between detail, strength and ease of construction. I'll be interested to see how the Airfix solution bears up.

On 22/04/2022 at 20:32, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

The wheels are certainly short shot, but hopefully that's just a correction - might even be the mould isn't finished (First test shot of the Jet provost lacked one pilot)

Not sure that is flash around the nose, so much as an artifact of the lighting; The 'missing' gates on 53/54 might just be protective pieces to stop those parts getting knocked off the runner, or they might be slide moulds or drop ins for a different variant

• Like 1

Looks great, and confirms answers to earlier questions, both types of intakes, canopies and alternative nose option.

All poseable flying surfaces and airbrakes are a nice touch aswel.

At this price I can only get one, but looks fine for the money.

On 29/04/2022 at 22:31, RidgeRunner said:

Which options, mate? I am interested in the PR nose

There aren't any in the kit, but (a) it has a separate nose and (b) the windows for the FR/PR nose are on the clear parts - I suspect there is a separate frame for the alternative nose for later releases

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Violet Club said:

It would be great if Eduard, in their Brassin range, could release a cockpit and an armament set comprising rockets (including "Flame Onion" Napalm ones) used in Korean War !

I have a feeling there will be a whole load of AM releases for this kit.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - 3D renders+sprues+schemes - release Summer 2022

Schemes & more

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-gloster-meteor-schemes-exclusive

Scheme A - Gloster Meteor F.8 WF714, RAF No.500 (County of Kent) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, West Malling, Kent, England, May 1953.

92085.jpg
92086.jpg

Scheme B - Gloster Meteor F.8 WL164, RAF No.74(F) Squadron, Horsham St Faith, Norfolk, England, July 1955.

92087.jpg
92088.jpg

Scheme C - Gloster Meteor F.8 EG-10/MN-S, No.305 Squadron Belgian Air Force, Beauvechain, Belgium, early 1950s.

92089.jpg
92090.jpg

V.P.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Scheme B - Gloster Meteor F.8 WL164, RAF No.74(F) Squadron, Horsham St Faith, Norfolk, England, July 1955.

92087.jpg

Oooh, that's very tasty indeed.  Come on, Airfix - get them in the post!

• Like 1

I was lucky to see a test shot of this and it looks really good. Suspect Airfix will do what they did with the 1/48 kit and release the PR.9 in a later boxing

Julien

• Like 5