1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

7 hours ago, Denford said:

I learnt at Telford why, for the first time, a scale down (1/48 to 1/72) was made.

Covid made it impossible to visit 'chosen' subjects, and Airfix had to rely on data already held.  Presumably because it was a good seller and not too recent, the Meteor 8 was picked.

This then begs the question, what other 'forced choices' were made because of Covid ?  We might see some in the New Year announcements, after which the impact will begin to lessen.

You need to keep up with the Airfix Workbench blog ! 😉

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/gloster-meteor-raf-fighter-aircraft-without-propellers

• Thanks 1

Even though they could use the base data it’s not simply a case of scaling the 1/48 kit down. All the kit design has to be done from the base up as they are different kits. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2022 at 17:41, Ralph said:

Out of curiosity, how does the Airfix kit compare to the MPM/Xtrakit topliling? I am thinking in specific reference to the thickness of the leading edge of the wings and the depth of the ventral fuel tank. I've always thought that the Xteakit/MPM tooling's ventral tank looked a little top shallow, and it be interesting to see if anyone has the two kits to compare.

Best, Ralph

I'll see if I can find one of the SH kits to compare, but 'night and day# springs to mind - the Airfix wing L/E looks much better

• Like 1

Agree with Dave Fleming, the older MPM/ Special Hobby wing was much too thick and the

ventral tank indeed too shallow. I used tanks from the old Matchbox kits when I built mine a few years ago.

The new Special Hobby night fighters are completely different, very accurate.

Cheers, Paul

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - FR.9 Airfix Club limited edition
2 hours ago, Homebee said:

That’s a real bummer. Great kit available only to club members. People like me  can’t join. I can understand trying to incentivize membership but I can’t understand not letting some people join. A heavy penalty for the Declaration of Independence but, on balance I’m still glad we dumped old King George III. C’mon Airfix.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

That’s a real bummer. Great kit available only to club members. People like me  can’t join. I can understand trying to incentivize membership but I can’t understand not letting some people join. A heavy penalty for the Declaration of Independence but, on balance I’m still glad we dumped old King George III. C’mon Airfix.

It won't only be available to club members, it will probably just be the markings that will be exclusive to the club, the kit will be available to the rest of us as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

It won't only be available to club members, in it will probably just be the markings that will be exclusive to the club, the kit will be available to the rest of us as well.

That’s good news.

13 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

It won't only be available to club members, it will probably just be the markings that will be exclusive to the club, the kit will be available to the rest of us as well.

Can I ask how do you know that? Is this fact buried somewhere in the 27 million words that make up the weekly ‘Workbench’ blog? 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Can I ask how do you know that? Is this fact buried somewhere in the 27 million words that make up the weekly ‘Workbench’ blog? 
Cheers.. Dave 

I don't that's why I said probably. It's not mentioned in the article because of course this year's releases haven't been announced yet.

Airfix normally release at least two versions of an aircraft like the meteor, so an FR.9 is most probable as they did it in 1/48th and they are doing it in 1/72nd already. I just don't see them tooling up for an FR.9 only for club members.

As far as I'm aware, though not an Airfix club member, all the club exclusive kits over the last few years have just been different markings, unless I've missed something.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 9:17 AM, Denford said:

I learnt at Telford why, for the first time, a scale down (1/48 to 1/72) was made.

Covid made it impossible to visit 'chosen' subjects, and Airfix had to rely on data already held.  Presumably because it was a good seller and not too recent, the Meteor 8 was picked.

This then begs the question, what other 'forced choices' were made because of Covid ?  We might see some in the New Year announcements, after which the impact will begin to lessen.

My wish, and it can be no more than that, would be a Sea Fury.

Mustn't drift too much off thread.

Well, if they can do that for the Meteor, that can most certainly do it for the Sea Vixen and Javelin!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I don't that's why I said probably. It's not mentioned in the article because of course this year's releases haven't been announced yet.

Airfix normally release at least two versions of an aircraft like the meteor, so an FR.9 is most probable as they did it in 1/48th and they are doing it in 1/72nd already. I just don't see them tooling up for an FR.9 only for club members.

As far as I'm aware, though not an Airfix club member, all the club exclusive kits over the last few years have just been different markings, unless I've missed something.

AFAIK Airfix have never released the Airfix Club 1/48 Spitfire MkXVI as a normal release so no precedence here, All other AIrfix Club kits have been the standard range with special markings only. I do stand under correction

And yes I need a FR-9 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

You can join Airfix Club as a Rest Of World member and if I understand correctly can order the kit as postage will be quoted seperately.

4 hours ago, Charlie Hugo said:

AFAIK Airfix have never released the Airfix Club 1/48 Spitfire MkXVI as a normal release so no precedence here, All other AIrfix Club kits have been the standard range with special markings only. I do stand under correction

And yes I need a FR-9 

You mean this kit that you can buy in the standard boxing that came out in 2006, that according to Scaleaates came out a year before the limited edition club boxing?

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/airfix-aircraft-1-48-05113-supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-xvie

109401-10000-pristine.jpg

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

You mean this kit that you can buy in the standard boxing that came out in 2006, that according to Scaleaates came out a year before the limited edition club boxing?

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/airfix-aircraft-1-48-05113-supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-xvie

109401-10000-pristine.jpg

Airfix Club Edition Spitfire Mk. XVI was lowback one:

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/airfix-aircraft-1-48-05116-supermarine-spitfire-mkxvie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Seboo said:

Airfix Club Edition Spitfire Mk. XVI was lowback one:

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/airfix-aircraft-1-48-05116-supermarine-spitfire-mkxvie

Okay didnt realise that. So did Airfix only mold a low back fuselage just for the club kit or did it come from another kit? Doesn't seem like it would be cost effective to just mold if for the club kit, or maybe that's why they haven't done it again. Anyway at least their still some pre-loved ones available to buy.

Looking at the instructions airfix tooled a new fuselage and canopy for the lowback club edition and just haven't reissued the kit with it since, the only other reissue was the high back IX 2013 club kit, whats more likely is they tooled both when the kit was tooled and just haven't issued it either as a regular release yet or as both, maybe we will see it repear as such on tuesday or the coming years 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looking at the instructions airfix tooled a new fuselage and canopy for the lowback club edition and just haven't reissued the kit with it since, the only other reissue was the high back IX 2013 club kit 

I wonder if the plan was to do a general release of the low back at some point but that was scrapped for some reason.

17 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

I’m not sure I understand. I’m in the US and a club member and got the last Airfix club kit. I plan to get this one too. There is a Rest-of-World club option and then you have to order the box with the club kit and the other goodies separately. It works just fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charlie Hugo said:

AFAIK Airfix have never released the Airfix Club 1/48 Spitfire MkXVI as a normal release so no precedence here, All other AIrfix Club kits have been the standard range with special markings only.

If I remember correct new 1/72 Hurricane IIB has been availablke only in two versions of the club kits. Not in "usual" sales. Better not to comment the kit more.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

If I remember correct new 1/72 Hurricane IIB has been availablke only in two versions of the club kits. Not in "usual" sales. Better not to comment the kit more.

Cheers,

AaCee

Yep, the hurricane was issued as iic regular, iid with resin conversion bits for the club and and as a iib only in the red star club set

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:51 PM, Homebee said:

Ah ha! And exactly the build I want! The markings aren’t exactly correct but I have my own already drawn :). So, I only need the kit :)

On 08/01/2023 at 00:17, RidgeRunner said:

Ah ha! And exactly the build I want! The markings aren’t exactly correct but I have my own already drawn :). So, I only need the kit :)

Which version and in what way?

On the subject of being a club exclusive,   fully expect another issue 'regular' of the Meteor - the kit has locations in the wing for rocket rails that aren't included in the base kit, so I'd expect a future release (perhaps as an Australian Korean war release) . Hopefully a main line FR9 too, as there are lots of options for that version (4 colour schemes, 5 units in RAF alone)

• Like 1

I know I asked this somewhere else on here and can't now find either question or answer, strangely. My recollection is the answer was positive

So - is  it correct that this 1/72 Meteor kit is part of the £30 Airfix Club deal?  That is, it comes free to the member (in UK) without any further cost?  

John B

36 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Which version and in what way?

On the subject of being a club exclusive,   fully expect another issue 'regular' of the Meteor - the kit has locations in the wing for rocket rails that aren't included in the base kit, so I'd expect a future release (perhaps as an Australian Korean war release) . Hopefully a main line FR9 too, as there are lots of options for that version (4 colour schemes, 5 units in RAF alone)

Actually, it is my error, Dave. I was responding based on memory and when I checed I found it to be okay :)

• Like 1