1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

I don't agree it should be locked, I just think those with an axe to grind about Airfix's business model should take their bellyaching elsewhere, please concentrate on the forthcoming Airfix Meteor F.8!

There have been some very useful posts about the Meteor F.8 in this thread, it would be a shame for them to be lost or people have to repeat themselves in a new thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Wez said:

I don't agree it should be locked, I just think those with an axe to grind about Airfix's business model should take their bellyaching elsewhere, please concentrate on the forthcoming Airfix Meteor F.8!

I think Wez said it best.  All those that aren't talking about Airfix Meteor F.8s in 1:72 (shame it's the wrong scale :wicked:) should go away from this thread forthwith and let those that are interested in the actual subject of the thread take over.  Why is it some people have a dislike for certain companies that they can't resist spouting at every opportunity?  :shrug:  I remember a thread about a new Revell Lancaster that turned into an Airfix bashing thread within 3 posts once upon a time :mental:

C'mon people, you can do better.

Yes, I've got my red pen out again.

BTW to the person that reported this thread 17 times who we'll call Dark Sir, we get it.  You don't like the way this thread is going, but did you have to report it that much??? :shrug:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It would be brilliant if this kit were to be available in time for the Meteor STGB in October.  Fingers crossed!

Finger's, toes and knees crossed for that to happen!

Hoping there'll be a rash of new decal sheets to accompany the subject too, I'd like to see some for single seaters assigned to night fighter squadrons (there were a few), and those used in the target facilities/target tug roles later in the aircraft's career.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Finger's, toes and knees crossed for that to happen!

Hoping there'll be a rash of new decal sheets to accompany the subject too, I'd like to see some for single seaters assigned to night fighter squadrons (there were a few), and those used in the target facilities/target tug roles later in the aircraft's career.

All those RAuxAF schemes ❤️

Trevor

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 17:39, stever219 said:

The earlie ailerons have a single tab which protrudes behind the line of the trailing edge whereas the later ones gave two tabs which follow the line of the trailing edge from the centre-section joint to the tip.

Ah yes, fingers crossed for that! 

Be interesting to see how they break the kit down. The darker sections on the CAD suggest separate ailerons. Would be nice to get a multi option F8 kit

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Also the Vc Tropical variant

B1 would require entirely new moulds for almost every part. Pretty much every part has differences. 

I'm pretty confident we'll see a black buck one in the next few years. There are flashed over holes behind the Skybolt mounting points which were used to mount the black buck pylons. 

A K2 would make a lot of sense. XH558 is a K2 made to look like a B2, so if they mould the tail cone right they could get an accurate tail for 558 easily enough from it. Also K2s are just interesting and really don't need too much other than the new tail and maybe adding fuel tanks to the bomb bay.

MRR should go with the K2, like the Victor K2 with the SR2. Also makes sense for doing 558 if parts are designed correctly.

Early B2 and early B2MRR with narrow intakes is unlikely but would be very, very welcome. Only ten built like that but some had just as long and varied service lives as other Vulcans (and 537 carried dummy Skybolts)

I'm pretty disappointed by that kit, the errors just completely put me off it. Would be ok if it had the parts for a bunch of different variants so you could make an accurate Mossie from it

:offtopic:

As @Mike has noted - this is a thread about the Meteor F8 due to be issued by Airfix - can we please stick to the topic in hand and not re-hash debates on other kits from other threads please. If you do not - it will end up with this thread being closed down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys - you've been asked to put a sock in the off-topic, so please take your discussions of Mosquitos and Vulcans elsewhere.  It's not difficult.  Warnings will follow if it becomes necessary.

nonesense hidden.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

15 hours ago, Wez said:

Hoping there'll be a rash of new decal sheets to accompany the subject too,

I already have stupid amounts of decals for the Mk 8 and 9...

I really want to build a Danish Mk 8. 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2022 at 18:12, Graham Boak said:

Why?  I have plenty of models already that I could be working on and am perfectly prepared to wait for a version I actually want to model (NF. Mk.30 in this case) rather than the one that Airfix want me to buy, and which I have to chop about to make even the one they claim it is.  As for filling trenches, motes and beams.  Have you looked at the Airfix Vampire or Spitfire Mk.I?  

There's no such thing as a perfect model from anyone, nor any model subject that can satisfy everyone, but there's plenty around to enjoy.

On another point: now we have the metal-wing Hurricane from Arma Hobby thank goodness Airfix has provided us with a fabric-winged one, even if it does need a fair bit of work.

Edited by Ian Tresting

5 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Do the RAAF Meteors have a different aerial fit?

Aerials are easy but I don't recall any stand out differences, IIRC, the Airfix 1/48 kit was released as an Aussie version with additional rockets which the RAAF used in Korea.  Hopefully Airfix will release these in the initial release.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wez said:

Aerials are easy but I don't recall any stand out differences, IIRC, the Airfix 1/48 kit was released as an Aussie version with additional rockets which the RAAF used in Korea.  Hopefully Airfix will release these in the initial release.

I think there was a small aerial or avionics box on top of the fuselage on Aussie Meteors. No doubt it is included in the 1/48th kit.  I'd imagine there'll be the FR.9 nose too.  Unfortunately for me I have kits and builds of both the F.8 and FR.9 from other manufacturers so don't think I'll be picking one of these up any time soon.

59 minutes ago, Cammer625 said:

RAAF have the ADF fairing on top of the fuselage (no idea what that is) and I’m pretty sure that is shown on the CAD renders.  Not sure about any other differences.

It is there and is what made me think of the RAAF example.

Trevor

Korean War RAAF markings make sense as they are historically significant. At the same time they are IMHO also pretty boring markings, just roundels and serials. Later Australian aircraft featured more interesting markings. Some decal sheets covering  these markings were already issued in the past, hopefully more will appear after the kit is available

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on Workbench today - note separate nose, alternative ailerons, canopies and the clear parts for the FR9 nose windows! Although hard to see, both early and late (Deep breather) engine fronts are on the left hand side of the fuselage frame.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/airfix-update-meteoric-proportions

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Update on Workbench today - note separate nose, alternative ailerons, canopies and the clear parts for the FR9 nose windows! Although hard to see, both early and late (Deep breather) engine fronts are on the left hand side of the fuselage frame.

That's grabbed my attention! :)

• Like 1