1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

28 minutes ago, Julien said:

I was lucky to see a test shot of this and it looks really good. Suspect Airfix will do what they did with the 1/48 kit and release the PR.9 in a later boxing

Julien

Of course they will next year, as someone who brought the mpm kit in November and attempted a conversion of the Matchbox a couple of months back I’m sure the modelling gods have ordained it, probably even make sure the same scheme I planned is in the box for good measure just to rub it in 

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

The Airfix website says preorder for Autumn release, so probably another couple of months at least.

6 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Do we know when these are being released,is it imminent?

Hopefully just in time for the build. 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - 3D renders+sprues+schemes - release Autumn 2022
8 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

The Airfix website says preorder for Autumn release, so probably another couple of months at least.

Oh bugger,will have to wait awile yet then 😔

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2022 at 23:18, Sturmovik said:

I'd absolutely buy a Meteor 4 in 72nd if they ever release it. Or better yet, a 1:48 Meteor 4.

People who are more knowledgeable of Airfix's kit release behaviour; what's the likelihood of them releasing this kit as, say, an F4 a few years down the line?

21 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

what's the likelihood of them releasing this kit as, say, an F4 a few years down the line?

Absolutely none, far too many differences between the F4 and the F8. Whether they plan to develop or are developing an F4 kit is probably known only to them at this moment in time.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Absolutely none, far too many differences between the F4 and the F8. Whether they plan to develop or are developing an F4 kit is probably known only to them at this moment in time.

Mark.

Thanks, sorry my meteor knowledge is pretty minimal, I had optimistically hoped that it might only be a change of fuselage and canopy sprues. Tempted to grab one of these then! Looks like a nice kit, 'test shot' issues aside, I'm impressed by the relatively un-Airfix-ish-ness of the sprue gates.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Thanks, sorry my meteor knowledge is pretty minimal, I had optimistically hoped that it might only be a change of fuselage and canopy sprues. Tempted to grab one of these then! Looks like a nice kit, 'test shot' issues aside, I'm impressed by the relatively un-Airfix-ish-ness of the sprue gates.

New fuselage, canopy and fin/rudder/tailplane - the latter is why it's unlikely as it would involve too many changes to too many sprues.

I think the most we can expect is an FR9 (Part on the clear frame point to that) and then different markings options over time.

Airfix have said in the past they'd prefer to create a new kit for a significant variant rather than do multi-option kits - e.g a new Spitfire Vc rather than adapt they existing Spitfire I/II kit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Looks like a nice kit

Indeed it does! Already got a few decal options sorted and will be getting a few of these once they're released.

Mark.

Reading my latest copy of the AMW magazine last weekend there's a good preview of the kit, some careful thought has gone into how the kit is constructed.  Really looking forward to its arrival.

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - 3D renders+sprues+schemes+box art - release Autumn 2022

500 Squadron summer camp was held in Malta and photographed by Russell Adams (Gloster's official photographer) over the harbour on the 17/18 September 1953. I'd imagine this is what the box art depicts. 

WK914 is the aircraft preserved in Malta, it just wears the serial of WF714. 

• Like 4

And who said Boxart never sells kits?? 

I was gonna just settle on my lovely 1/48 scale Meteor F.8, however after seeing that beautiful artwork I think I’ll now add one of these 1/72 kits as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

That is just spectacular. I'd buy one even if I wasn't going to anyway 😀

My great uncle Bil Chalmers's war medals are in the Malta War Museum at Fort Saint Elmo. He was in the Royal Artillery and was a layer on Bofors guns during the siege. He was badly wounded in an air raid on Saint Andrews Barracks. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...