1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

I guess PR9/10 are future possible releases?

PR.9 quite easily, they did this with the 1/48 kit. The PR.10 was something of a hybrid aircraft. With the wings of the Mk.III, the tail of the Mk.IV, Fuselage of the Mk.8 and nose from the PR.9. So will take a great deal more work so cant see them doing that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Julien said:

PR.9 quite easily, they did this with the 1/48 kit. The PR.10 was something of a hybrid aircraft. With the wings of the Mk.III, the tail of the Mk.IV, Fuselage of the Mk.8 and nose from the PR.9. So will take a great deal more work so cant see them doing that. 

Wonder if the parts will be in the initial boxing or like the Mpm kit on a separate spruce…..

3 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Wonder if the parts will be in the initial boxing or like the Mpm kit on a separate spruce…..

For the 9 probably a new release like Airfix did with the 1/48 kit. As I said I doubt you will see a  10. MPM already had the other marks toolded so was easier for them to do a 10. I would never say never but dont think we will see a Mark III or IV from Airfix any time soon. For the 8 and 9 a least they had the basic CAD data already from the 1.48 kits.  Lets hope this one is a good seller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

PR.9 quite easily,

It should be an easy conversion, just requiring a new nose cone, but there's no indication of this in the CAD images releases so far. 

It would appear this is one that Airfix are leaving for the aftermarket boys @Colin @ Freightdog Models is no doubt looking at options!

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

It should be an easy conversion, just requiring a new nose cone,

Having a couple of the old Aeroclub ones aimed for the Matchbox kit in stock, I'll assume they'll be good to go for this one instead? Would likely be a whole lot less work than beating the Matchbox one into submission!!

Mark.

• Like 2

I've just been looking through my decal library, and reckon a couple of dozen F8 kits should do the trick to thin the herd! I should have a couple of IKEA SYVDE cabinets in the flat by summer to house them, among other builds.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

None of the renders show the all-glass canopy, although one of the colour options shows it. Hope they include both intake styles too

They have said on the website that there are two sizes of intakes included in the kit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Any thoughts on how plausible a conversion to a variant with this style of canopy would be?

IMG_20200728_104417895_HDR~2

Special Hobby, MPM, Xtrakit all did T.7’s in 1/72 scale. It would be easier to gind an actual kit than converting something ? Its also on my wanted list. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Special Hobby, MPM, Xtrakit all did T.7’s in 1/72 scale. It would be easier to gind an actual kit than converting something ? Its also on my wanted list. 

The T.7 is currently available on Special Hobby website under the Azur Frrom brand. No British decals in this latest box though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Also available at Hannants in an xtrakit box.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XK72005?result-token=A5oRI

And for a very good price too... that brings me to a thought on the announced Airfix kit... £ 24.99 is IMHO quite a steep price for a 1/72 Meteor- Guess this is where prices are heading in general and the Airfix kit will likely be better than the old MPM one and its reboxes. However when I think that not too long ago I got the "Commonwealth trainer" box of the T.7, with resin and PE parts for less including postage from abroad, I start hoping for the new kit to be much better !

Speaking of T.7s, IIRC the MPM kit features incorrect framing on the canopy, should Airfix decide to do the two-seater they could offer something more accurate

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Any thoughts on how plausible a conversion to a variant with this style of canopy would be?

Jack up canopy, replace airframe, then replace canopy 🙂 

As stated, T7 available from Special Hobby, MPM, Xtrakit  plus Azur/Frrom for less than the New Aifix kit will retail at - even if extra work may be needed to build them they'll still be less hassle and less cost than converting a new too Airfix F8

• Like 1

I know next to nought about the details of Meteors, but it looks to me that, in addition to the thick trailing edges of the wings, the base of the canopy looks awfully thick as well. But even so, I’ll be buying one.

Edited by Space Ranger

24 quid - wow (translates to $47 AUD). Just as well I bought a few MPM RAAF ones for $25 AUD - I hate comments about about price (it is what it is) but this is a single seat, smallish jet.  Ok it’s big brother is now 47 quid.  I hadn’t looked at Airfix for a while and sadly this might continue. When they release a RAAF one I will still get one, but I’m a bit flabbergasted at the price.  Hoping that they end up similar in price as the Mosquito (mid 30’s) when they finally make their way to Down Under.

BUT, looks good so far!!  Loving all the new kits in 1/72 across the board!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’d be hoping for the PR nose in the F.8 box so I can make a better attempt at my Ecuadorean build :)

Martin

I hope they do as none of the existing 1/72 PR noses are completely accurate - they miss out the 'flat' areas around the side looking camera ports

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Dave Fleming said:

I hope they do as none of the existing 1/72 PR noses are completely accurate - they miss out the 'flat' areas around the side looking camera ports

I hope so too, Dave. I would need the nose but with camera ports blanked over, plus the underwing rocket rails. 🤞

On 1/10/2022 at 3:55 PM, Mr T said:

Interesting, that after years of saying they are not going to scale down 1/48th kits, that is exactly what they do. 

Might lead the way to a decent Javelin. 

Irrespective of what an individual may say, you can tell from the engineering in these latest kits if there is intent to scale up or down.

Having built their new 1/72 Buccaneer, it was totally over-engineered for that scale....I just knew a 1/48 kit was on its way!

The Typhoon, Blenheim, Defiant, and Meteor F8 are good examples of this.

It remains to be seen if the Vixen or Javelin will receive the down-sizing treatment. Their internal engineering would certainly be suitable.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Regarding Meteors, I have the two Dragon kits.  They look nice at first sight, but are they accurate ?

I’ve never seen any adverse comment on them. (Other than the price of the original release!)

EDIT: Just remembered they got the elevators wrong. They should have a horn balance on the end, but Dragon modelled them inset, with the end of the tail plane fixed. Not a difficult correction!

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...