1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Which way round were the P-51, P-40, Gnat and Tiger Moth? 72nd first and ''upscaled''? 

Me too, still hoping for a Javelin and Sea Vixen before I shuffle off this mortal coil....

Keith

You may just be lucky with the Sea Vixen because:

- Airfix are now downscaling

- Despite tales of visits to Yeovilton last year, nothing this year has been announced that would warrant going there.  The 1/48 version is pre-digital, so new data would have to be acquired.

- The 1/48 version was to have been re-released but was then withdrawn....

- I'm just finishing off my Frog kit, having bought it many years ago in Asda for I think £2.50!

• Like 2

Looks like the Airfix momentum is strongly away from 1/72 scale, which this year's announcements have only confirmed. Looks like one kit a year is what we're going to get, if we're lucky....What chance of getting a decent 1/72 Anson or Walrus now ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I forgot about the launch today.  Didn't miss much.  Only one kit for the 1/72 modeller and I have a stack of unbuilt Special Hobby/Xtrakit ones.  All pretty underwhelming as far as I'm concerned although I'll probably get a couple of their ancient Whirlwinds.  A pity they didn't opt for the Vixen or Javelin as there are no readily available decent kits of those types in 1/72. Oh well, maybe next year....

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I built the MPM kit as a Belgian jet - the MPM is a nice kit that goes together well. Still have 3 in stock so will pass on the Airfix one. 

Likewise. A very disappointing reveal.  Hopefully the Tempest won't be full of errors, like the Mosquito is. 

Sigh.... Just pre-ordered this.  I don't know why, it's not really in my comfort zone.  Oh well, it's the coolest looking early jet on the block.  Now, if there's a T.8 conversion for it at any point I might just have to have a little lie down.

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What's a T.8, new one on me? Do you mean a T7? If so the Xtrakit is still available and isn't a bad build.

Keith

Hi Keith, sorry, I think the excitement must have got to me, somehow; of course, you're right - it was the T.7 I was on about.  I'd quite like to do a UFO-incident scheme....

• Like 1

Really pleased about this. Sanding the wings of the MPM FR9 has now faded sufficiently into distant memory that I was contemplating enough of their F8s. But now I'll wait, and can save my fingertips!

Justin

11 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Sanding the wings of the MPM FR9 has now faded sufficiently into distant memory that I was contemplating enough of their F8s. But now I'll wait, and can save my fingertips!

Let's wait and see... Looking at the trailing edges on the CAD images, you may have not dodged that  bullet yet... 

spacer.png

Edited by Fukuryu
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, JamesP said:

I think "no downscalng" means they literally don't rescale the CAD. A 1/72 kits needs a completely new CAD model - yes it can use the same reference data - but it doesn't involve significant cost savings. 

I suspect that is what was meant

17 hours ago, JamesP said:

I think "no downscalng" means they literally don't rescale the CAD. A 1/72 kits needs a completely new CAD model - yes it can use the same reference data - but it doesn't involve significant cost savings. 

I suspect that is what was meant

16 hours ago, Denford said:

You may just be lucky with the Sea Vixen because:

- Airfix are now downscaling

- Despite tales of visits to Yeovilton last year, nothing this year has been announced that would warrant going there.  The 1/48 version is pre-digital, so new data would have to be acquired.

- The 1/48 version was to have been re-released but was then withdrawn....

- I'm just finishing off my Frog kit, having bought it many years ago in Asda for I think £2.50!

I really hope we get a Sea Vixen!

Airfix would do well to mould it in such a way that an FAW.1, FAW.2 and D.3 can be built from it. If they can do that (the FAW variants should be easy enough I don't know about the differences in a D.3) then they have a very good range of schemes available (I quite like the look of a white FAW.1). For now though I'll probably get a Cyberhobby kit, as flawed as it might be....

But anyway, back to the Meteor in this thread

• Like 1

When I do venture into 1/72, if it’s not for something big like a V-bomber then it’s 50’s jets, so I’ll be buying at least one. Looks good to me, particularly with those 74 Sqn markings! 🐯