1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - released - new F.Mk.8/FR. Mk.9 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Interesting, that after years of saying they are not going to scale down 1/48th kits, that is exactly what they do. 

Might lead the way to a decent Javelin. 

• Like 13

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gloster Meteor F.Mk.8 by Airfix - 3D renders - release Summer 2022
On 1/10/2022 at 4:03 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Tbh the only new tool I'll probably buy. And even then it's like yeah I'll probably get one but I'm not toooo fussed by it

So, Airfix don't do downscaling then eh? @Denford

This is what they told me at Telford some years ago.  I'm as glad to see it as you seem to be.  I don't purport to tell Airfix how to run their business.

• Like 3

I think "no downscalng" means they literally don't rescale the CAD. A 1/72 kits needs a completely new CAD model - yes it can use the same reference data - but it doesn't involve significant cost savings. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Stuart Wilson said:

Well this is the only new tool I'll be getting. Nice to see the Do-17Z , He-111 and Swordfish again though. Might pick up the Blenheim IV too if it has the parts for the bomber variant.

Stuart

Blenheim IV re-release?  I can't see it on the website.  Or the He.111 either.  Is there anything else missing from it but known about? 

It is slightly disappointing to see the poor G-50 and Harrier Mk.1, but the other Classic re-releases are more reasonable to downright nice.  Nothing for me to enthuse about, but each to their own.

So is this the only 1/72 new kits this year ? Glad that the subject is a postwar one and from an era too often forgotten, I already have a number of MPM kits but I'd gladly try this one too,

Disappointed however by the fact this is the onlyy new 1/72 kit...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

So is this the only 1/72 new kits this year ? Glad that the subject is a postwar one and from an era too often forgotten, I already have a number of MPM kits but I'd gladly try this one too,

Disappointed however by the fact this is the onlyy new 1/72 kit...

Yes that is disappointing, every year I feel we're being compelled to become 1/48th scale modellers because that's the scale most kits seem to be released in.  Whilst I'm a scale slut and will build in any scale if the subject interests me, I do have a lot of decals for 1/72nd scale Meteor F.8s so I shall buy many of these, I have the 1/48th scale version but I will only ever get one of those.

I'm very pleased with this release.

55 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

So, Airfix don't do downscaling then eh? @Denford

First rule of Airfix - a statement from Airfix is only good for the time it's given, and even then it may be incorrect (Not saying Airfix staff tell lies, but.....). This is the first new-tool where they've scaled the subject down. I hope it's not the last.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

This is the first new-tool where they've scaled the subject down.

Which way round were the P-51, P-40, Gnat and Tiger Moth? 72nd first and ''upscaled''? 

30 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

I hope it's not the last.

Me too, still hoping for a Javelin and Sea Vixen before I shuffle off this mortal coil....

Keith