Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

Well done Airfix, good choice, shame it's the Pugwash Flying Circus version first, I'll wait for the RAF version.

Hat's off to Airfix though for just getting on with it, the Tan Model kit just seemed to evaporate.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The kit ive wanted Airfix to do for a number of years... Always wanted them to do a new tool but I cant justify paying over 70 quid for it unfortunately. 

Will still be building my two old tools instead 😢

• Like 1

Detail looks amazing- price is pretty high for me but per previous posters I imagine there will be retailers offering 'deals'.... the Jav is the same price at Airfix but £57 at Jadlam for example (quick online check not explored in detail!)

TT

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Four very similar grey schemes and a £72 price tag.... I'll pass on this one. 

If it were an S1 then I would be tempted, maybe even at that price, but as it is, not for me.

17 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

I'll order one at somepoint, but I doubt it will be more than the one at £70+

The price is rather fair I thought, £65 with Airfix club membership too. I'm sure we'll see some RAF decals too.

16 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

For a tenner I will 😇 or am I being cheeky…

Haha, I paid more for my old tool version (with resin and brass aftermarket goodies as well as new decals) than the new tool costs! Such is life.

• Like 4

Eight whole minutes have passed since a reply. Guessing everyone is hosing down their monitors?! Anyway who am I to resist a Buc... just pre-ordered two. Now the quiet anticipation begins...

If you are an accountant working for Hornby I'm guessing today is your Christmas day?!

Edited by March

Looks lovely, and while £72 is a bit hot for me, I suspect it is a decent price for a modern tooling of a Cold War Jet. Tamiya Phantom £80.00+ anyone.  Perhaps time has moved on and it just is the way the world is nowadays....if it comes to price I probably struggle with the £24.00 for a 1/72 Meteor more than this......but then Revell were knocking out the Hunter 1/72 for £18.00.........stop now, my head hurts......

This look great......

That has just gone to the top of my wishlist and blown apart my no new kits rule!

When I first saw the price I was a bit shocked but the Bucc is not a small aircraft and if the detail is as good as it looks then the price is probably fair.  It puts it on par with the ZM Phantoms as a comparison.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

The price is rather fair I thought,

Depends if they really up their QC. If it still comes with warped or short shot parts, poor transparencies or any of the other problems their recent releases have suffered, then I don't feel they can justify pricing in Tamiya or Zoukei Mura territory.

Keith

• Like 3

I think thje Bucc price is fair considering less A/M will be needed, an average price for an average tooling and average amount of A/M would be much more expensive, mine will be OOB and I'll love building it that way.

• Like 1

Super excited about this one! I’ll be waiting til there’s a few on eBay at more reasonable prices though. 

I’ll need aftermarket decals though to do an RAF one, 237 OCU had some S.2As so should be ok. Unless Airfix plan on a 1/48 S.2B soon, or better still already include the bulged bomb bay in this one.

6 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Looks lovely, and while £72 is a bit hot for me, I suspect it is a decent price for a modern tooling of a Cold War Jet. Tamiya Phantom £80.00+ anyone. 

The Tamiya Phantom, and their F-14 can be had for £39 and £44 respectively in their home nation, and for not a great deal more if you self import.

• Like 1

Very happy with this! I’ll be taking a few of these. Along with a good handful of the other releases also. 

I think the pricing is very fair to be honest. People seem to want 2022 tooling & technology with 1970s pricing, it ain’t gonna happen! 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DAG058 said:

Very happy with this! I’ll be taking a few of these. Along with a good handful of the other releases also. 

I think the pricing is very fair to be honest. People seem to want 2022 tooling & technology with 1970s pricing, it ain’t gonna happen! 

Exactly!  If you want quality then it costs. 

• Like 6