Jump to content

Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!


The_Lancaster

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dambuster said:

Looks like the artist missed an ejection seat marking in the top image……

Indeed I think you are correct.  The more I study it the more I notice.  The rear RWR fin bullet is sharp and pointy like the old style but tan colored like the newer style but not blunt like it should be.  I have mentioned this before, but I think the colors depicted for the Martels and data pod are wrong too.  The center frame for the canopy is grey but should be off white/tanish color.  Also the far Bucc has "XN0--" on the underwing.  No Bucc had a serial beginning with "XN0".  020 was XV869 on the final 1978 cruise which is what I think this is supposed to depict.  Alas - I still dig the art though. 

 

Edited by wadeocu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i'm a 1/32 modeller but this is one of the few subjects I would consider dipping down a scale for

 

I grew up with Airfix and Matchbox kits in every little shop in the late 70s and early 80s so like many on here Airfix has a place in my heart, but ultimately as an 'outsider' to the scale and the company for many decades now, I'll be benching this against what I see as the best kits to be recently released in 1/48 scale which, as far as I can tell, are the Tamiya P-38s, and the Eduard A6M2 Zero and Eduard P-51s.

 

For many - especially those who don't share the above nostalgia - Airfix have *a horrible* reputation for kit moulding quality, level of detail, and panel lines that make the Grand Canyon look like a crack in the pavement... I realise that may be an unpopular sentiment on here, but I mention this and those other Tamiya / Eduard kits in the context of a global marketplace in which Airfix has to compete.

 

I hope the level of detail - especially surface detail, and mould quality are up there with the best from other manufacturers in this scale, and wish Airfix the best of luck for a successful release.

 

Thank you to @wadeocu for your technical information - as a non-SME, but someone who at least wants to know what is accurate, even if it's not all in the kit this is super helpful. I would be grateful if links to detailed reviews could be posted on this thread?

 

Kind regards,

Nick

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Thatsmyboy said:

Good morning Nicholas. A very fair and reasonable post. 

However, I would respectfully suggest that "the many" are taking a view that is largely exaggerated, pejorative, very subjective and, is a generalisation based largely on hearsay than fact and experience 

For sure, some Airfix kits may be as described but, the same could equally be said for just about every other range. 

I do not favour Airfix over any other brand and, neither do I view them through rose tinted glasses but, I do honestly think the term" horrible reputation "is unjustified and, that is based on my actual experience. 

I also accept that is not necessarily your personal view and, I apologise now if I gave the impression otherwise. 

I'm not one for" bench marking " myself. Absolutely nothing wrong with hoping mould quality is on a par with" the best" (another very subjective description 😉) but, I prefer just to take a kit for what it is and, work with it. That however is just me!

 

Regards 

 

Allan 😊

Thank you for your eloquent reply, Allan.   I think this represents my thinking and there is A LOT of modellers out there that think the same way.  I think the modelling world is not expanding, but shrinking, so we must be grateful to those companies still trying to do their best to fill the gaps NOBODY ELSE will ever do. 

 

Cheers,

 

Juan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFM148 said:

Thank you for your eloquent reply, Allan.   I think this represents my thinking and there is A LOT of modellers out there that think the same way.  I think the modelling world is not expanding, but shrinking, so we must be grateful to those companies still trying to do their best to fill the gaps NOBODY ELSE will ever do. 

 

Cheers,

 

Juan

That's interesting Juan - how so shrinking?

 

Do you mean the modellers are getting older and are prepared to and capable of paying more?

 

I have the feeling quality and diversity of what is on offer is better than it ever was.

 

Greets,

 

Marc.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With respect, this is supposed to be a discussion on the upcoming Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer, not a debate about the economy of modelling, or anything else! Can we stick to the original topic please? Anything else, please take into the relevant chat areas.  

 

I am personally looking forward to the release, to go alongside it's 1/72nd scale sibling!

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, wadeocu said:

And just when you think that the 1/72 that came out a few years ago (p.s.: I don't remember the exact year) was a true gem and therefore you don't need another Buc, especially in a different scale BOOM!! Here have a 1/48 to make you feel worse and try to sell all the 1/72 Bucs you have mate!!!!

 

Oh boy, I can hear the complaints..... "you already have so many unbuilt kits why do you want another????"

 

They simply don't get it!!!!!!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shalako said:

And just when you think that the 1/72 that came out a few years ago (p.s.: I don't remember the exact year) was a true gem and therefore you don't need another Buc, especially in a different scale BOOM!! Here have a 1/48 to make you feel worse and try to sell all the 1/72 Bucs you have mate!!!!

 

Oh boy, I can hear the complaints..... "you already have so many unbuilt kits why do you want another????"

 

They simply don't get it!!!!!!

Married then?

Welcome to my world:wicked:

Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Any ideas of how I can "camouflage" that new kit/box in order to go unnoticeable?

 

 

Stick a raffle  ticket on it and say I won it in raffle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Thatsmyboy said:

 

To which the responses should be either/or:

 

"You already have 30 handbags and, 50 pairs of shoes. Why do you need another?" 

 

"Every time you open your wardrobe and stare at the 40 outfits therein, you wail that you have  nothing to wear before splurging the equivalent cost of 10 unbuilt kits on yet another outfit "

 😉😂

 

I used to think my wife was a cross dresser.  You should hear the language she uses when she takes anything out of the wardrobe. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Airfix stand at RIAT Fairford had a built up and a test shot unpainted 1/48th Buccaneer on the stand. 

It looks amazing and i'll be getting one, panel lines and detail are very crisp and not overdone...and looks like the fit will be good judging by the unpainted model that was built with the wings folded..

I just need the S.2B now.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thatsmyboy said:

"Every time you open your wardrobe and stare at the 40 outfits therein, you wail that you have  nothing to wear before splurging the equivalent cost of 10 unbuilt kits on yet another outfit "

 😉😂

You're obviously not familiar with Greek women! Try to say what you just said to a Greek woman and you will end up AT LEAST with a big lump on your head!!! OUCH😫

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MarcV said:

That's interesting Juan - how so shrinking?

 

Do you mean the modellers are getting older and are prepared to and capable of paying more?

 

I have the feeling quality and diversity of what is on offer is better than it ever was.

 

Hi, Marc,

 

Yes, there is more limited production diversity, not the mass production it used to be in the 70s and 80s, nor the hordes of kids buying models at Supermarkets.  Now, going back to the Buccaneer, I think it is great news to have a new Buc in 1/48 and by the pictures and the engineering done it will be a really nice kit  I will buy at least two ! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JFM148 said:

Hi, Marc,

 

Yes, there is more limited production diversity, not the mass production it used to be in the 70s and 80s, nor the hordes of kids buying models at Supermarkets.  Now, going back to the Buccaneer, I think it is great news to have a new Buc in 1/48 and by the pictures and the engineering done it will be a really nice kit  I will buy at least two ! 

 

1 hour ago, JFM148 said:

Hi, Marc,

 

Yes, there is more limited production diversity, not the mass production it used to be in the 70s and 80s, nor the hordes of kids buying models at Supermarkets.  Now, going back to the Buccaneer, I think it is great news to have a new Buc in 1/48 and by the pictures and the engineering done it will be a really nice kit  I will buy at least two ! 

Thanks Juan, but we must be careful - I have been accused of going off topic and before you know it I will wake up with a horse head in my bed.

 

Fortunatly nobody else went off topic in the last page or so.

 

Most amused at the irony and hypocrisy,

 

Marc.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You forget how big she is until you see someone holding one.  A Buccaneer, that is before anyone starts <_<

 

A few posts back, look at the THICKNESS of the canopy on the real thing.  Totally over-scale! :huh:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mike said:

A few posts back, look at the THICKNESS of the canopy on the real thing.  Totally over-scale! :huh:

 Designed to fly through things rather than round them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Des said:

 Designed to fly through things rather than round them?

They used to say it was milled out of a single billet of aircraft grade aluminium because it was so solid and stable at low altitude. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mike said:

You forget how big she is until you see someone holding one.  A Buccaneer, that is before anyone starts <_<

 

A few posts back, look at the THICKNESS of the canopy on the real thing.  Totally over-scale! :huh:



I'll just keep my kit canopy closed, perhaps third party can address this though? Have experience of real Buccs and sitting in one at local RAF Lossiemouth farewell day, Bucc still looks good with canopy open and does not spoil the flow of its, lines (curves) So would love to model one canopy open to display detail ... maybe this will be fixed before release though.

I wonder too if original Airfix 1/48 Bucc canopy's are any thinner and if so would fit? Still have one here and when new one arrives will check this.

This has not deterred me one bit from buying though, really do love the Buccaneers as an Aircraft.

PS: Seen a few new releases with seriously over thick canopy's now ... tut tut Manufacturers LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...