Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Neomega have advised on Facebook today that a resin cockpit is coming for the new tool 1/48 Buccaneer.

They will have some stiff competition from the manufacturers pushing out the newer resin type decals.

kitsworld has already pushed out, Eduard have announced, just Res-Kit and Quinta to come. 

• Like 1

The kit does seem to have a few significant sink marks, most noticeably in pilots instrument panel. The slipper tanks also have some small sink marks in them and I found the fit of the Martel missiles to be surprisingly poor... 

A bit strange as the other recent Airfix kits I have built have fitted incredibly well with almost no filler required.

Still an excellent kit though :)

6 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The kit does seem to have a few significant sink marks, most noticeably in pilots instrument panel. The slipper tanks also have some small sink marks in them and I found the fit of the Martel missiles to be surprisingly poor... 

Really? In that case mine's going in the BIN! 🤪

• 3 months later...

A little disappointed with the schemes chosen for the RAF release.  The early XW544 has no squadron markings sadly.  It is cool to have a three color roundel option but if it were me I would have picked one with 237 OCU or 12 Sqn markings or at least something that had squadron markings; XV would have been an option too.  I get it, they needed an early S.2B not an S.2A but I think I could have come up with one that had some squadron markings and type D roundels.  The profile for XV352 has some errors.  The tan/brown camo should come to a point on the bottom side but the profile has it cutting straight across.  Also she had a Vulcan zap by the red star at the point that it also had the mismatched radome as depicted.  Hopefully they give us the last three in dayglo for the airbrake and nose gear door and the crew names, Vulcan zap and kangaroo silhouette on the starboard side.  The profile for XW527 is wonky with an extra set of pylons but I suspect that will be fixed.  The Guinness Girl choice is nice but I really would have rather seen a separate boxing for Gulf War options like they are doing in 1/72 but hey ho as you Brits like to say.  I hope they catch the little omissions on XV352 as my biggest disappointment is with errors rather than selections of schemes.  Maybe this leaves room for an S.2A boxing and an RAFG boxing so perhaps I should not be too quick to be disappointed.  In any event this is definitely nitpicking in the first world sense!  Surprised they went for Sea Eagles; that is super cool.  Overall more to like than not!  Perhaps I should look into sponsoring an aftermarket decal sheet release and put my own hard earned on the line to have a decal selection that pleases me!   Overall a good day for Bucc modelling fans!

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wadeocu said:

A little disappointed with the schemes chosen for the RAF release.  The early XW544 has no squadron markings sadly.  It is cool to have a three color roundel option but if it were me I would have picked one with 237 OCU or 12 Sqn markings or at least something that had squadron markings; XV would have been an option too.  I get it, they needed an early S.2B not an S.2A but I think I could have come up with one that had some squadron markings and type D roundels.  The profile for XV352 has some errors.  The tan/brown camo should come to a point on the bottom side but the profile has it cutting straight across.  Also she had a Vulcan zap by the red star at the point that it also had the mismatched radome as depicted.  Hopefully they give us the last three in dayglo for the airbrake and nose gear door and the crew names, Vulcan zap and kangaroo silhouette on the starboard side.  The profile for XW527 is wonky with an extra set of pylons but I suspect that will be fixed.  The Guinness Girl choice is nice but I really would have rather seen a separate boxing for Gulf War options like they are doing in 1/72 but hey ho as you Brits like to say.  I hope they catch the little omissions on XV352 as my biggest disappointment is with errors rather than selections of schemes.  Maybe this leaves room for an S.2A boxing and an RAFG boxing so perhaps I should not be too quick to be disappointed.  In any event this is definitely nitpicking in the first world sense!  Surprised they went for Sea Eagles; that is super cool.  Overall more to like than not!  Perhaps I should look into sponsoring an aftermarket decal sheet release and put my own hard earned on the line to have a decal selection that pleases me!   Overall a good day for Bucc modelling fans!

Why don't you send your comments to Airfix so that they can make corrections?

• Like 2

How do you know what markings it comes with?  I didn't see anything regarding the specifics

• Like 2

The markings are in the video.

I wonder if the first option is just a 'holder' before some unit markings are chosen?  The Gannet kit has a similar thing, the first option is literally just in national markings with no unit markings.

Didn't this happen with another recent release of theirs?

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

So excited about this release! Despite the price I’m going to have to buy two. Probably go with a set of aftermarket decals for one of them too, I fancy doing an XV Sqn one with light grey undersides. 

14 hours ago, wadeocu said:

I have been in touch and as suspected the profiles were a bit of a rush job for the announcement and there is time to tweak things to get them just right - good news indeed!

Would have liked both 12 and 208 Markings, Hopefully they chose a detailed Fox head for the markings.

Guinness girl is a sensible choice for a gulf war aircraft as her breasts are covered in the later version/and on the museum painted jet. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

Would have liked both 12 and 208 Markings, Hopefully they chose a detailed Fox head for the markings.

Guinness girl is a sensible choice for a gulf war aircraft as her breasts are covered in the later version/and on the museum painted jet. 

Well I suppose we did get 12 and 208 but the 208 example is XV352 in the red flag scheme so no squadron markings.  XW527 is 12 Sqn from the final years so that fox badge will be suitable for that era but not the 70s.  Airfix got this right on the 1/72 release and it was a very good likeness at that.  Xtradecal and the like missed the differences for the late era 12 foxes (like my avatar); the ones offered by most aftermarket sheets are more suitable for 70s/80s era not late era.  Even then though it's a challenge because 12 Sqn foxes were all different in some small way in the 70s and 80s.  The old 1/48 Airfix kit had an accurate fox badge for the example they offered in that kit which was a weird one with pink around the eyes.  The example on the Xtradecal 12 Sqn sheet for instance is kind of a generic interpretation of the 70s era badge which works well enough for the 70s example (XX895 I think it is) but is totally wrong for the late era grey example they have on that sheet; they used the same art for both examples.  The old Xtradecal 1/72 sheet is the only sheet I have seen that really embraced all the subtle differences for the examples released on that sheet - they were all different in some small way.  It is really a shame that the current generation of Xtradecal sheets are often let down in the accuracy department.  I wont be buying either of their 1/48 sheets slated for release as almost every example has some accuracy issue ranging from minor to absurd.  I bought the 1/72 sheets well aware of the accuracy issues thinking I could use some aspects of them but really found something not to like about all of them; they didn't even put a mortar board on the OCU badge.  That's just negligent; it is like doing Hitler nose art without the square mustache! :doh: 

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

Sorry to say but in my opinion this makes this aircraft at that time a museum piece (I think that she went some air shows like this too), not as Gulf War aircraft. I do understand the reasons behind this, but the aircraft did not fly in the Gulf like this.

• Like 1

Even then though it's a challenge because 12 Sqn foxes were all different in some small way in the 70s and 80s.

It used to be a 12 Sqn boast, that every foxes head was different. Most were subtle with different styles or colours. Then there was one with a moustache and the 2 heads taking the mickey of the other 2 Lossie units. One fox had an eye patch for 208's sphynxes eye and the other had a mortar board.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Well I suppose we did get 12 and 208 but the 208 example is XV352 in the red flag scheme so no squadron markings.  XW527 is 12 Sqn from the final years so that fox badge will be suitable for that era but not the 70s.  Airfix got this right on the 1/72 release and it was a very good likeness at that.  Xtradecal and the like missed the differences for the late era 12 foxes (like my avatar); the ones offered by most aftermarket sheets are more suitable for 70s/80s era not late era.  Even then though it's a challenge because 12 Sqn foxes were all different in some small way in the 70s and 80s.  The old 1/48 Airfix kit had an accurate fox badge for the example they offered in that kit which was a weird one with pink around the eyes.  The example on the Xtradecal 12 Sqn sheet for instance is kind of a generic interpretation of the 70s era badge which works well enough for the 70s example (XX895 I think it is) but is totally wrong for the late era grey example they have on that sheet; they used the same art for both examples.  The old Xtradecal 1/72 sheet is the only sheet I have seen that really embraced all the subtle differences for the examples released on that sheet - they were all different in some small way.  It is really a shame that the current generation of Xtradecal sheets are often let down in the accuracy department.  I wont be buying either of their 1/48 sheets slated for release as almost every example has some accuracy issue ranging from minor to absurd.  I bought the 1/72 sheets well aware of the accuracy issues thinking I could use some aspects of them but really found something not to like about all of them; they didn't even put a mortar board on the OCU badge.  That's just negligent; it is like doing Hitler nose art without the square mustache! :doh: 

Looking though  aftermarket sheets, not many are 100% correct. I like the more detailed late 12 Sqn fox head. 

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

Looking though  aftermarket sheets, not many are 100% correct. I like the more detailed late 12 Sqn fox head. 

I agree Shaun.  The only aftermarket sheets that I think really nailed the 12 Sqn badges are the Xtradecal sheets in 1/72 and 1/48 that were released in the late 80s/early 90s.  Xtradecal is sadly a shadow of its former self in the accuracy department.  Thankfully, the decals in the new Airfix kits are generally spot on.  I have noticed only one real error - an omission really - between all three decal sets (the two 1/72 releases and one 1/48).  They left off the low vis fire panel decal for XN981 on the recent 1/48 release; it should not have the one with the white background.  Other than that I think all three sheets are just about perfect.  And they are great quality too!  My how the times of changed; kit decals are the best option with Airfix these days unless you just want a different scheme.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wadeocu said:

I agree Shaun.  The only aftermarket sheets that I think really nailed the 12 Sqn badges are the Xtradecal sheets in 1/72 and 1/48 that were released in the late 80s/early 90s.  Xtradecal is sadly a shadow of its former self in the accuracy department.  Thankfully, the decals in the new Airfix kits are generally spot on.  I have noticed only one real error - an omission really - between all three decal sets (the two 1/72 releases and one 1/48).  They left off the low vis fire panel decal for XN981 on the recent 1/48 release; it should not have the one with the white background.  Other than that I think all three sheets are just about perfect.  And they are great quality too!  My how the times of changed; kit decals are the best option with Airfix these days unless you just want a different scheme.

It amazes me how aftermarket sets are sometimes so wrong, Scale, colours, fonts and designs sometimes are way off when you compare them to photo's.

I'm surprised no one has tackled the large tail codes (*F, *S, *C) in 48th that the Lossiemouth wing used for while ..only old 1/72 sets have them 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...