Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

1 hour ago, WV908 said:

Thanks for the replies and info everyone - so I'll be ok to use the arrestor hook bay as supplied for XW527 as delivered to 15 sqn. 

Thankfully the supplied slipper tanks appear to be the correct type for my build too.

Cheers,

WV908

Did the drop tanks change?

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Did the drop tanks change?

I've always been under the impression there were two (three if you count the SAAF) types of drop tank - the original type and a later modified version - I've always found it difficult to tell from photos, but first remember reading about it in relation to those that were fitted to the Gulf War aircraft.

Cheers,

WV908

19 hours ago, sniperUK said:

For the instrument panels there are sixteen seperate parts with raised dials, switches, screens etc to fit on and around the tub along with a similar number of decals, to replace them with aftermarket will mean removing every bit of 3d moulded detail.

Full seat harness are provided by very nicely printed decals that are suggested to add onto foil before fitting. 

52272343399_bc45e21b2c_b.jpgIMG_20220808_165839 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

52271113647_4da873068a_b.jpgIMG_20220808_165820 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

52271113642_a4e65374ef_b.jpgIMG_20220808_165830 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

Thanks for that. So new seat harnesses only. The Airfix hybrid panel detail & decal approach appeals enormously.

Tony 

I have a short shot sprue B 😭

Mostly not an issue as I can repair the nose gear bay, but my intake trunking is not really useable,so I'm thankful for the intake blanks. Two out of the right airbrake parts are short shot, but I don't plan on having the brakes open on this build  I have two parts B26 and B27 which are just blobs but I haven't trawled through the instructions yet to see what they are for, but they are easily replacable.

A bit disappointing that short shot sprues have made it past QC again.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Mostly not an issue as I can repair the nose gear bay, but my intake trunking is not really useable,so I'm thankful for the intake blanks. Two out of the right airbrake parts are short shot, but I don't plan on having the brakes open on this build  I have two parts B26 and B27 which are just blobs but I haven't trawled through the instructions yet to see what they are for, but they are easily replacable.

Cheers,

WV908

Off to check my kit now.

Update: Thankfully it looks OK, get in touch with Airfix spares, I'm sure they'll sort you out.

Not good for Airfix though considering the amount of hype over the launch of what they call their most detailed kit to date.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WV908 said:

Cheers,

WV908

this is so disappointing 

and for those that don’t know, this is one of the reasons they are known as XXXXX in many modelling circles around the globe 

Edited by Mike
We'll have less of that thanks. No swearing, remember?
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Cheers,

WV908

Have you contacted Airfix to report the problem? At present, there do not seem to have been many other reports. I'm sure if you report it, they would be able to replace the offending sprue.

48 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Have you contacted Airfix to report the problem? At present, there do not seem to have been many other reports. I'm sure if you report it, they would be able to replace the offending sprue.

As of yet, no, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

Cheers,

WV908

2 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

There seems to be a short shot Martel fin in Mikes review https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235113489-blackburn-buccaneer-s2cd-a12012-148/

sprue4.jpg

Not a short shot, just one of the pieces is turned 45 degrees so the fin is edge on to the scanner/camera. The giveaway is the position of the pylon mounting slot compared to the part to the left of it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Not a short shot, just one of the pieces is turned 45 degrees so the fin is edge on to the scanner/camera. The giveaway is the position of the pylon mounting slot compared to the part to the left of it.

I sit corrected,many thanks old fruit.

I've just started mine but over the past few days before I've been painting up a couple of Neomega seats 'ready to go'. The only problem now is I've found that the kit seats are significantly bigger that the Neomega ones. 

They are about 2/3mm wider and taller. I suppose the only thing is to measure them? Anyone know who's likely to be right? I'm assuming the neomega seats were designed to fit the original kit. Surely it can't be that different?

Suggestions welcome. 

12 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

I think if it had been a short shot part, our illustrious leader  @Mike, would have said something in the review! 

As nothing was said, I'm inclined to go along with @AntPhillips assertion that the part has been rotated slightly that just gives this impression.

Will be ordering mine at the end of the month when I have a few more pennies in the bank account!

2 hours ago, treker_ed said:

I think if it had been a short shot part, our illustrious leader  @Mike, would have said something in the review! 

As nothing was said, I'm inclined to go along with @AntPhillips assertion that the part has been rotated slightly that just gives this impression.

Can confirm. :yes: While I don't pretend to be omniscient, it's definitely a slightly rotated part and not a short shot.  It probably got moved during packaging at the factory, or unpacking by my sausagey fingers :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Can confirm. :yes: While I don't pretend to be omniscient, it's definitely a slightly rotated part and not a short shot.  It probably got moved during packaging at the factory, or unpacking by my sausagey fingers :)

Cheers Boss,I can confirm that's not the only or the worst thing I've got wrong this week.

• Haha 1

A mighty impressive kit.

Seeing what is offered and considering the price of many " far eastern" kits it's not overpriced but at 80 + € I'll have to wait as I prefer the RAF version.

Kudos Airfix. You set proof you can compete with the best.

• Like 2

Oh joy of joys...

Mine arrived this morning and I've yet to open the bags...

Had a quick look at the plastic through the bags and I must confess to being impressed...   If Airfix could now please reissue a few of their more recent releases in this plastic, like the 1:48 Lightning... 1:48 Javelin... 1:48 Canberra... 1:48 - insert preferred cold-war subject here...  :giggle:

Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on the parts and start to nail them together...

Tally Ho chaps and chapettes :D

• Like 3

I've fully checked the kit over now and rest of it is moulded perfectly, so only my sprue B is affected. An email has gone out to Airfix spares for replacement parts so I'm awaiting their response.

Cheers,

WV908

On 8/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, AntPhillips said:

The noise reduction fairings are the small bulges on the fuselage side immediately in front of the intakes, previously discussed in the thread about the 1/72 kit:

Ant, so the S2 is the variant that was grey over white, S2B onwards is overall grey - is that correct.

An overview of Buccaneer variants is harder to find than expected.

Thanks,

Marc.

48 minutes ago, MarcV said:

Ant, so the S2 is the variant that was grey over white, S2B onwards is overall grey - is that correct.

Thanks,

Marc.

S.2B is the RAF variant, S.2C and D RN that carried the overall EDSG scheme. 

3 hours ago, MarcV said:

Thanks,

Marc.

To be honest Marc, I'm not sure, I'm only just finding out about the Noise Reduction Fairings myself.

Just to confuse things Airfix included an EDSG over White scheme in their original 1/48 RN Buccaneer kit, and that kit also had representations of the Noise Reduction Fairings, so was the research at that time wrong, or did some a/c have the fairings and the white undersides?

The only thing I am certain about is that the under nozzle fixtures need removing as they were added with the Chaff/Flare launchers later.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, Russmeister 101 said:

Oh joy of joys...

Mine arrived this morning and I've yet to open the bags...

Had a quick look at the plastic through the bags and I must confess to being impressed...   If Airfix could now please reissue a few of their more recent releases in this plastic, like the 1:48 Lightning... 1:48 Javelin... 1:48 Canberra... 1:48 - insert preferred cold-war subject here...  :giggle:

Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on the parts and start to nail them together...

Tally Ho chaps and chapettes :D

Ditto, arrived Thursday and the kit is massively impressive, looking through the polythene bags. My Bucc box was slightly squashed but the parts are okay — phew! Well, that'll encourage me to build rather than stash, so every cloud and all that. 

Will definitely be adding an RAF S.2B when it emerges, to do in whiskey logo desert pink, but am tempted to get a second S.2C/D to do with a buddy refuelling pod or even as an S.1 when the inevitable conversion emerges.

Yes Airfix, you need to repop the Sea Vixen and Lightnings. 

Tony 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

Yes Airfix, you need to repop the Sea Vixen and Lightnings.

We have turned a corner it seems.  Until this release folks used to say “it’s good, almost up to the standard of the Lightnings”.  This is the first time I’ve heard the call to upgrade the Lightnings to a new, higher standard.  Is this perhaps Airfix’s best to date?

• Like 3