Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

6 hours ago, One 48 said:

I'll just keep my kit canopy closed, perhaps third party can address this though? Have experience of real Buccs and sitting in one at local RAF Lossiemouth farewell day, Bucc still looks good with canopy open and does not spoil the flow of its, lines (curves) So would love to model one canopy open to display detail ... maybe this will be fixed before release though.

I wonder too if original Airfix 1/48 Bucc canopy's are any thinner and if so would fit? Still have one here and when new one arrives will check this.

This has not deterred me one bit from buying though, really do love the Buccaneers as an Aircraft.

PS: Seen a few new releases with seriously over thick canopy's now ... tut tut Manufacturers LOL

I'm pretty sure that Mike was talking about how heavy the canopy framing on the real aircraft was, not the thickness of the canopy in Airfix's kit?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oooooh lovely. But at my age seeing pictures like that first thing in the morning is not good for my health.

Or wallet.

Dick

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, nicholas mayhew said:

@wadeocu thank you for posting those pics

are there any others which show close ups of the undercarriage and wheel bays?

These are all the pictures they published.  There is one on the facebook Bucc sig page from Fairford with PJ showing off the bottom side of his build.  It is not one Airfix published so I don't feel comfortable reposting it.  It is not very hi-res either so there isnt much to see in the way of details, 

• Thanks 1

Interesting video on YouTube about a promotional tour for YouTubers that Airfix hosted.  Some Bucc news included.  Big news is that it is to be molded in the harder grey plastic!  This is shaping up to be one of their best.

(“Not my scene.” - 🧐)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Interesting video on YouTube about a promotional tour for YouTubers that Airfix hosted.  Some Bucc news included.  Big news is that it is to be molded in the harder grey plastic!  This is shaping up to be one of their best.

(“Not my scene.” - 🧐)

Just to let you know, the Martel screen for the rear cockpit Is included, confirmed last week. 

10 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Just to let you know, the Martel screen for the rear cockpit Is included, confirmed last week. 

Yeah - that is good news!  They are steadily checking all the boxes with this project!

• Like 1

It does sound very interesting, though whether it provides enough additional detail over the previous version to be worth the extra cost, is going to be one of those ongoing discussions, for me as well as for many others !  I like the original 1/48th kit, and have several still to build. That won;t stop me getting one of these to trial.

One small worry. I found the new 1/72 kit awkward in its breakdown and hence in some of its build, compared to the earlier version. I wonder how much of that awkwardness will have transferred to the 1/48th kit?

Hmm.

John B

19 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

It does sound very interesting, though whether it provides enough additional detail over the previous version to be worth the extra cost, is going to be one of those ongoing discussions, for me as well as for many others !  I like the original 1/48th kit, and have several still to build. That won;t stop me getting one of these to trial.

I guess it’s worth it to Airfix as they will still sell a bucketload, and as the previous version’s tool is knackered, there was no change of reissuing. 

For us modellers, it is very much worth it I think, a lovely (hopefully) new kit with lots of detail and readily available! The problem with the old kit is that the cost of one second hand pretty much rivalled that of the new one, plus it’s numerous issues! Plus ‘younger’ modellers like me didn’t have a chance to bay several kits for the stash 😉

Ash

25 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

One small worry. I found the new 1/72 kit awkward in its breakdown and hence in some of its build, compared to the earlier version. I wonder how much of that awkwardness will have transferred to the 1/48th kit?

Hmm.

John B

To get the original kit up to anything approaching a decent standard requires an investment in aftermarket that brings the cost of the original kit up to the cost of the present one. The original is also VERY hard work to build.  The new kit has everything you need in the box as for value for money, well if you buy it and don't build it then it's a waste of money otherwise I'm sure it'll be a very enjoyable and satisfying build of a classic British aircraft. 

• Like 2

Interesting, thanks Stephen, a different view. I have built several of the original 1/48th kit and am happy with its detail and with the small details I have added. 

I t4end not to use much aftermarket stuff, having grown up with the Alaqn W Hall and W R Matthews style of carve, sand, talc and banana oil, etc. school of modelling modification !  Aftermarket is easier, admittedly, and often better.

(As a 'thrifty' Scot of course I may also use the new mould as a guide for my own upgrades to the earlier kits...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

I guess it’s worth it to Airfix as they will still sell a bucketload, and as the previous version’s tool is knackered, there was no change of reissuing. 

I hadn't heard that the old moulds were worn out; rather suggests it was a popular choice - I hope this is too. 

I do much prefer the white undersides - the aircraft offered in the kit are all overall grey, is that correct?

What would be smarter, waiting for a new boxing with some white bottomed Buccaneers with the risk of it never appearing or converting this variant, which I believe never flew in grey and white?

Thanks,

Marc.

27 minutes ago, MarcV said:

I do much prefer the white undersides - the aircraft offered in the kit are all overall grey, is that correct?

What would be smarter, waiting for a new boxing with some white bottomed Buccaneers with the risk of it never appearing or converting this variant, which I believe never flew in grey and white?

Thanks,

Marc.

There won't be a release with the white undersides, this tooling is for versions with the noise reducing faring only, C/D navy in this boxing and B RAF to follow. 

Looks excellent..

So by replacing Sprue E, we will get the RAF verson with the bulged bomb door.

Wonder what else maybe on the RAF sprue?.

I guess an RAF machine could be built with an open bomb bay from this kit with just a change of decals.

15 hours ago, MarcV said:

Thanks,

Marc.

Not sure but with a little research a white bottom aircraft would not be that hard to produce..There are early roundels in the kit.

There's a grey over white S.2 scheme for 801 NAS / HMS Victorious on an old Model Alliance sheet and on a forthcoming Xtradecal set (48-229 IIRC). 

I really like the mid-late 70s Ark Royal paint job but would be interested in building a white bottomed S.1 afterwards, given a new conversion set. 

Now just need a 1/48 Phantom F-4K and origami-winged Gannet AEW.3 to the same standard. 

Tony 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Now just need a 1/48 Phantom F-4K and origami-winged Gannet AEW.3 to the same standard. 

Agreed, the Hasegawa FG1 is nice, but dated - I am close to winning my battle with this kit :)

Gannet AEW.3 and a AS.1/4 would be great to see in 48th! (The battle has only just begun on my CA Gannet - cutting the wings for the wingfold was painful).

I wonder if we will see a conversion for the S1 anytime soon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Not sure but with a little research a white bottom aircraft would not be that hard to produce..There are early roundels in the kit.

So, what modifications would one have to do to the kit to build one in the early grey/white scheme as per the forthcoming Xtradecal sheets (circa 1966). Did anything on the airframe change or was it purely removal of the white undersides? Whats the 'noise reducing fairing mentioned previously'? Thanks for any advice.