Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

44 minutes ago, AMB said:

How do you know - it's not been released yet?   I have seen excellent jobs made with the current  Airfix 1/48th Buccaneer without the need of another one!  Would prefer to see something different made that really needs a new mould.

Two reasons why I'd like a new one[1]: the old one has long been out of production and there will never be another run which means I can't just pop to my LMS and pick one up, and (probably related) the price of unbuilt old kits is often more than the price of the new one[2] - (diminishing) supply & (steady) demand and all that.

Andy

[1] I'm only qualified to speak for myself, and then only just :) 

[2] five of the eight on eBay this morning are priced between £75 and £123. One of the cheapies was only listed today and is already at £24 with nine days bidding to go. Another is at £69.95 and has no box. My favourite seller of pre-owned kits has none in stock and I can't remember last time I saw one. Google also doesn't find much.

• Like 1

Where are you going to get another ( hopefully ) state of the art 1/48 Buccaneer then?

Yes the price is steep ( sorry ) but look at the price of some resin aftermarket items. It’s above my normal self imposed limit for 1/48 but if the eventual build reviews are favourable I’ll probably get one

John

• Like 1

I welcome this model being a big Buccaneer fan, I have four of the original 1/48 Airfix models, two built and two in the trove.

I have this one on pre-order and I am looking forward to it with relish.

As in all things the price is what the price is, rabbiting on about it here twill change nothing. If you see no value in the model at that cost then walk away and spend on something you do see value in.

For the record, the four previous kits I have, had no fuselage warping although over their length they lost some rigidity and care was needed when matching them together.

Although not an Airfix maven other than for the nostalgia, they have excelled themselves this year with 1/48 Anson and Buccaneer which I am sure will be buildable and any design shortcomings will be readily addressed. Poor QC and the model(s) will be returned as not fit for purpose as with any other purchase

3 hours ago, AMB said:

How do you know - it's not been released yet?   I have seen excellent jobs made with the current  Airfix 1/48th Buccaneer without the need of another one!  Would prefer to see something different made that really needs a new mould.

The “current” Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer was tooled a quarter century ago (or thereabouts). It’s not up to the standards of kits Airfix are creating now and it was always challenging to build well. I have several of the original kits in the stash and I’ll still be getting the new one.

3 hours ago, AMB said:

The old tooling was/is beyond repair and therefore a new one is justified…the old one is rare as hens teeth.

A new Buccaneer as seen on the cads will be way ahead of the old one, not saying that the old one is a bad kit to build.

They probably didn’t designed a new one if they had the tooling in good shape.

The old tooling doesn’t give a Kachingggg in the cash register for Airfix.

And please people stop moaning about pricing and the need of a certain kit😩 this is already to much done in this thread .

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

If just a few of (by the sounds of it thousands of) the old mold sat in stashes and about to be joined by copies of the new mold were sold on at reasonable prices, then those who consider the new one a bit expensive would at least have the option of building the older release. Just a thought.

4 hours ago, AMB said:

Yeah many of the type of modellers who inhabit forums like this can probably turn it into a really nice model, but what about more average modellers? The build experience will probably be frustrating and the end result not as good as with a newer kit.

Think about other kits with direct replacements, like the 1/72 Vulcan. Sure, you can build a nice model out of that, a very nice model indeed, but it was in need of replacement. The 1/72 Lancaster, again old kit was quite nice and could also be built into a great model but a new one was most welcome.

This was a very pleasant surprise as I've always thought the Buccaneer has been one of the prettiest jet fighters, with its dolphin like graceful elegance. :inlove:

And while I agree the price issue has been discussed to death, I'd just like to add that the price is also based on estimated sales. So while the Buccaneer may be much loved by some, it doesn't have the broad appeal of a Mustang or a 109 and the unit price goes up to recover the costs.

But I can't say I know much about the different versions of the banana jet (what a horrible nickname), but I seem to remember the 1/72 Airfix kit I built when I was a kid came in a two tone dark blue/white?

Would that be an earlier version, like an S1? 

2 hours ago, Eivind Lunde said:

...but I seem to remember the 1/72 Airfix kit I built when I was a kid came in a two tone dark blue/white?

Would that be an earlier version, like an S1? 

It was of one of the prototype NA.39s

48515653932_fea6ae0675_b.jpg

Blackburn NA39 Buccaneer S1 XK488 Yeovilton 6-9-69 by Chris England, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AMB said:

Are you actually serious?😂

• Like 3

In an attempt to move the conversation in another direction. Think I'll be building my first one as an early RAF, DG/DSG over LAG with type D roundels in 12 or XV squadron marking with a  full Martel fit.

I don't suppose there would be anything to stopping you building a later RAF version but posed with bomb bay open?!

• Like 1

Seriously you guys continually whining about price need to either chill out or go away.

I'm fed up with trying to read about a new release and having the thread clogged with this garbage.

If you cant afford it don't buy it. Its a model aeroplane for goodness sake not food for your kids.

First world problems.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Seriously you guys continually whining about price need to either chill out or go away.

I'm fed up with trying to read about a new release and having the thread clogged with this garbage.

If you cant afford it don't buy it. Its a model aeroplane for goodness sake not food for your kids.

First world problems.

People who can't afford it can't buy it! But they may still want it. The point being made, I believe, is the eye watering price increase from Airfix, not necessarily the cost. It's also the inconsistency, how can the 1/24 Spitfire be significantly cheaper than the Hellcat yet the Buccaneer is priced as it is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard123 said:

People who can't afford it can't buy it! But they may still want it. The point being made, I believe, is the eye watering price increase from Airfix, not necessarily the cost. It's also the inconsistency, how can the 1/24 Spitfire be significantly cheaper than the Hellcat yet the Buccaneer is priced as it is?

In 1994, the 48 scale Buccaneer was around $30 from what I can remember, that would compare quite well accounting for inflation, to the price expected for the newer kit especially with the expected improvement in design, accuracy, detail and of course buildability. 

As for the 1:24 spitfire, its a lot smaller than the hellcat, cheaper to manufacture, I would suspect a lot of the design costs/research/scanning had already come from previous work and of course I would expect a larger volume of sales compared to the Hellcat. Therefore they can more competitively price it. This is also the Buccaneer thread, not the Spitifre thread.

As before, Airfix has set the RRP, they know what they are doing, it wasn't set for the fun of it or to generate the gnashing of teeth on here to give the design team much fun. If you can get it cheaper great, continual moans on here are not going to make it different. Think yourselves lucky, for us in the colonies, its going to be a lot more than that price for us.

So here's the deal - from this point on, no more posts in regards to the price unless of course someone has found it cheaper and then the information should be posted here to benefit the members. The thread is for details and imagery surrounding the kit and the aircraft for the benefit of modellers. We know the price.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

As to the banana jet nickname; I once heard that this came from an initial attempt to find a name - some wisecrack came up with Blackburn A  Royal Navy Aircraft aka Blackburn ARNA. 

As for the quality of the earlier 1/48kit. The story went it got bendy because of the big hole in the underside were the bomb door went; I also suspect the earliest productions were fine- certainly had no problems wit my early builds - and it only when softer plastic was used that the fit problems emerged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corey in Colorado said:

To build the upcoming Airfix Buccaneer as a Gulf War RAF jet, what would need to be modified?  Is it a big conversion?  

I second this question, I always wanted one to pair with the Gulf War Tornado I made.

As for the old Airfix kit, I have one in my stash and can attest to the appalling fit - the cockpit transparency looks like it was made for a totally different kit in a different scale for instance. I know that there are some who relish a challenge, but frankly that one fits into the 'masochist' bracket.  I'm still debating whether to continue with modeling but if I do, this new kit will literally be number 1 on the list, and I would hope to do it in the Gulf War scheme

Les

• Like 1

I was moving house at the time and lacking a good internet connection, but boy was I gobsmacked and delighted on the 10th to see this one announced along with the Spit IX that day. Well done Airfix and a big thank you from me for doing this.

One instantly noticeable improvement in the new kit over the old for me, is the inclusion of that curved canopy bottom edge which will look just right as per the real thing.

So a bit late, 9 pages on, but fantastic, Airfix, thanks for this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corey in Colorado said:

To build the upcoming Airfix Buccaneer as a Gulf War RAF jet, what would need to be modified?  Is it a big conversion?  

3 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

I second this question, I always wanted one to pair with the Gulf War Tornado I made.

The most obvious and hardest modification required would be the buldged bomb bay door, will also need the addition of nose leg mounted landing lamp, there was also a modification to the arrestor hook and bay at some stage but unsure if it affects things in regard to this kit and GW jets..

This boxing will cover the S.2D as it has Martels included, so the pylons will be in the right positions for Gulf War S.2B jets, I'm guessing that the later style wing tanks will be included and it looks like both versions of the wing mounted wide band homing pods and the later style fin top RWR are included, which also helps.

Will need to source TIALD, ALQ pods and Sidewinders etc, and their are probably other small minor changes to aerials etc, worth checking references for sure.

All doable in the world of modelling of course, but I think I would wait until Airfix does it for me, as per their 1:72nd kits.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The most obvious and hardest modification required would be the buldged bomb bay door, will also need the addition of nose leg mounted landing lamp, there was also a modification to the arrestor hook and bay at some stage but unsure if it affects things in regard to this kit and GW jets..

This boxing will cover the S.2D as it has Martels included, so the pylons will be in the right positions for Gulf War S.2B jets, I'm guessing that the later style wing tanks will be included and it looks like both versions of the wing mounted wide band homing pods and the later style fin top RWR are included, which also helps.

Will need to source TIALD, ALQ pods and Sidewinders etc, and their are probably other small minor changes to aerials etc, worth checking references for sure.

All doable in the world of modelling of course, but I think I would wait until Airfix does it for me, as per their 1:72nd kits.

The arrestor hook housing was modified at the aft end, (between the hook and the air brake) to fit 2 x countermeasures boxes for chaff/flare. This was in place for much if not all of RAF service and an earlier post from someone with knowledge of the kit design suggests this mod is not included in this boxing.

• Like 2