Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

Just now, peterburns said:

I may be the only one who didn't care if we got a new Buccaneer.  Not because I don't like the Bucc or 1/48, but because I love the original release(minus the horrible decals).  That said, I'll buy the new one too. 

old moulds were damaged beyond repair it had to be a new tool

If the old moulds are damaged beyond repair they will likely be scrapped now or soon?  I'll hang on to my original Airfix 1/48 Bucc then as well as buying four of this new one.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, janneman36 said:

All that time wasted waiting and still saved no extra’s for “THE MOMENT”!

Sell the old things on evil bay to someone not nowingly ….believe me it still can work out for you!

Ordered.... Resistance IS futile 🤣 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see this new release by Airfix. Did the Sand/Stone camo Red Flag aircraft carry the engine bay and overwing walk way markings?

Just going though my spare decal stash and spares box to see what i've in stock..Depending how accurate the first 1/48 Airfix Bucanner was, the bulged bomb bay door may be able to fit this kit?

I'm not sure the original tools will be damaged beyond repair, based on past instances of people swearing blind that various kits were lost at sea never to be seen again, only to pop up in new boxes a few years later.  Remember the Monogram 1:48 B-24J?  That was one of many kits that were supposed to be in Davy's Locker, but weren't.  I've no idea why people feel the need to lie about inconsequential things, but they do :mental:

Back on topic.  Yay! :D I'll take one new tool Navy and one new tool RAF Bucc in due course please Mr & Mrs Airfix :yahoo:

• Like 2

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.  Now I know why I never got around to building my old 1/48 Airfix Buc.  

Edited by Ad-4N
clarity
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

No idea just what I heard

When Airfix ran Kitstarter probably the most requested kit ( after the Boy Scout and FN-FAL rifle……) in the many many pages of forum posts it generated was for them to re-release the 1/48 Buccaneer.

The feedback from Airfix was that the old tooling was no longer viable.  Or words to the same effect. IIRC it was the only tooling related question they commented on. As then unsurprisingly people wanted to know what other tools were not useable… 

I don’t have a kit of the original 1/48 buccaneer but FWIH the fuselage halves can suffer from lots of warpage. 

HTH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Airfix stated themselves the original moulds were beyond redemption.

That's more like it.  Straight from the horse's mouth, rather than someone insane :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Plasto said:

the fuselage halves can suffer from lots of warpage. 

Yes, this was its Achilles heel unfortunately, although it did vary and seemed much worse in later releases which may have been down to the type of plastic, manufacturing process or just QC. It kinda reminds me of some of the "challenges" mentioned with recent Airfix production. This might have been reason enough to replace it although as its about 30 years old(gulp!) its no spring chicken. I distinctly remember opening the box in eager anticipation and being really excited by it when I did - to me it seemed to represent a shift in direction for Airfix with engraved panel lines, comprehensive decals and a new format instruction booklet. I remember thinking at the time this seemed to be a more "grown-up" type product from Airfix. I still have a couple n the stash including the one where Airfix knowingly or unknowingly (I'd really like to know the story behind this ) packaged 2 kits in the one box (an RAF S2B, together with the FAA/SAAF S2/S2C/S2D/SMk50). Possibly too much trouble to remove the duplicated parts or a misunderstanding?  

It will be really interesting to compare the old with the new release although with so many other potential "projects" on the go, I may want to sit this one out until its RAF brother arrives. Either way its a big bird in 1/48! 

Rich

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

this kit is underdetailed by a long shot, cockpit, wheel bays, weapon bay, very simplified, again getting back to omitted surface detail.

I suspect it's not actually done yet - I notice that Airfix have used quite low resolution images, which suggests that they're not quite ready to show everything off yet, but poring closely over the few closeup shots, it looks to me like the outer wings and tail have much more impressive surface detail than what's visible in the nose closeup - so I think they're only part way through detailing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

Typical - I just made the painful desicion to stop modelling due to my recent move and they spring this on me! I can feel my resolve slipping away......

Les

Good, you're returning to the light!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

I suspect it's not actually done yet - I notice that Airfix have used quite low resolution images, which suggests that they're not quite ready to show everything off yet, but poring closely over the few closeup shots, it looks to me like the outer wings and tail have much more impressive surface detail than what's visible in the nose closeup - so I think they're only part way through detailing!

This is what they should be aiming for....https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41892-the-black-project-discussion/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plasto said:

When Airfix ran Kitstarter probably the most requested kit ( after the Boy Scout and FN-FAL rifle……) in the many many pages of forum posts it generated was for them to re-release the 1/48 Buccaneer.

The feedback from Airfix was that the old tooling was no longer viable.  Or words to the same effect. IIRC it was the only tooling related question they commented on. As then unsurprisingly people wanted to know what other tools were not useable… 

I don’t have a kit of the original 1/48 buccaneer but FWIH the fuselage halves can suffer from lots of warpage. 

HTH

That was my understanding, that the tool was retired as unviable rather than damaged, it was proving virtually impossible to get a useable product from them,  far too many distorted parts,  probably more to do with the design of the fuselage breakdown, not much point producing it if every purchaser is going to ask for replacements for badly warped or misshapen parts, especially when you cannot guarantee the replacement parts will be any better 😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Having seen the original computer drawings, CAD and photos of the 3d printed development model (no I can't post the photos here) the amount of work that has gone into this kit is fantastic and the detail, including the surface detail, is way beyond any Airfix kit up to now, it really has been a work of passion for the team. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

I would really like that to be true.Lets hope so.

1 hour ago, sniperUK said:

Having seen the original computer drawings, CAD and photos of the 3d printed development model (no I can't post the photos here) the amount of work that has gone into this kit is fantastic and the detail, including the surface detail, is way beyond any Airfix kit up to now, it really has been a work of passion for the team. 

This is super exciting to hear!  I think it’s great that they did the 1/72 kit first as a work up for this project.  There is a whole lot more to like about that kit than not.  This 1/48 model will be super if they follow along those lines and a true hallmark for the brand if it’s heading in the direction it appears to be.  I am suitably impressed and pleased with the level of detail shown in these CAD renderings.  I am happy to leave the rest up to the usual aftermarket suspects.

3 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

That was my understanding, that the tool was retired as unviable rather than damaged, it was proving virtually impossible to get a useable product from them,  far too many distorted parts,  probably more to do with the design of the fuselage breakdown, not much point producing it if every purchaser is going to ask for replacements for badly warped or misshapen parts, especially when you cannot guarantee the replacement parts will be any better 😟

I might be wrong here but my memory seems to recall they were damaged in a move from the old factory to a new location.

Splendid to see airfix concentrating on the immense library of British topics and releasing this in the correct scale!

I'm wondering how they have joined the fuselage halves though on this new-tool. Hopefully they have seen sense and used the vertical plane instead of the old moulds using the horizontal plane (much more cleaning up to do in visible areas...).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sniperUK said:

You can't do a grey over white early Mk.2 from the kit, the early ones didn't have the bulged faring to reduce the noise between the front fuselage and the intakes, when these were retrofitted to the early ones at Sydenham they were the painted into the overall EDSG scheme. 

A subtle nuance of the FAA S2 that Airfix should be applauded for recognising, considering how much grief they get from some quarters over research.

Really looking forward to this kit :yahoo:

• Like 2

Enough of the old tooling Airfix1/48 Bucc talk already please, lets move on!

I have built one and have another in stash I wont be letting go, if I can manage to put one together semi-decently and even with splayed horizontal split fuselage soft plastic run halves, anyone can ... my modelling build talents are dire compared to many I see on here :)

Seriously though ... I wonder if this new Airfix 1/48 Bucc will have that horizontal fuselage split too? that might be problematic in future too ??  time will tell I suppose, have not seen any sprue shots yet.

But these are just minor details, apart from price that I think is fair enough, most people have received this release very well indeed, its perhaps the most popular most posted and discussed of Airfix's 2022 line up here on BM's rumourmonger forum.

So looking forward to this, really am 💥

• Like 4