Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

Good! Been saying for a couple of years that a 1:48 Bucc is due from them to replace the old moulds. Will be in for a few boxings of this especially the RAF aircraft. The price is about what I would expect and unfortunately that’s the way it goes, nothing goes down in price. 

now for the new tool SEPECAT Jag in 1:48 :)

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Four very similar grey schemes and a £72 price tag.... I'll pass on this one. 

If it were an S1 then I would be tempted, maybe even at that price, but as it is, not for me.

A good point; though since I recall seeing three of these schemes for real I like them. Shame that at least one of the EDSG over white preceding schemes is not included - they were really nice.  I remember my serious spotter friends discussing where the demarcation lines were on different machines.

A Mk1 would be nice; do you suppose anyone will produce a conversion kit? 

4 hours ago, thepureness said:

competitive market £60+ for a 1/48 Buccaneer

The only competition is the old tool Airfix Buccaneer and theyve been selling at around £70 on a well known auction site. Mine cost about £85 once I'd paid for replacement decals, resin interior and some other Aftermarket parts.

Not to mention the new kit comes with a vast loudout and a huge amount of extra detail. 

• Like 2

Cool.  I'm looking forward to that.  There's no point in baulking at the price, as by the time it arrives, we'll all have won the lottery anyway. :yahoo:

I've said it before and I'll say it again* You could give them away with a free tenner, and some people would still complain that they wanted two fivers :dull:

* Seeing as the "It's the wrong scale", "we need a XXXX in that scale more", "I'm not interested", "Nobody wants that kit - here's a pie chart I prepared earlier why I'm right", "I'd have paid that price for a kit in my favourite scale if it only included a pilot figure", and all those other tropes get trotted out whenever a new kit is announced, I think I can repeat myself a little :wicked:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

I think a good price comparison is football tickets, and this sits somewhere between Liverpool and Spurs ticket price for a lot more entertainment, if just in terms of time.  I’ve got four of the old mould kits but I’ll be buying the RAF version when its out. There will be two kits in the box right?😁

• Like 1

Excellent news from Airfix. 

As for the price well no one is forcing you to buy it, and you don't it to feed yourself so it's a bit silly whinging about it. 

Last time I checked not everything has to be able to be purchased by everyone - I'd love a Ferrari but there is little chance of buying one. 

Now, as Greg B says - lets see a Jag.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

An Eduard weekend edition 1/48 P51 is just over half the price of Airfix's 1/48 P51. I don't think we're exactly paying for quality 

But it's relative - Eduard are in a country with lower costs and exchange rates (and a few other factors I'm sure) give you different prices to Airfix. What you need to look at in this case is the price compared to other Airfix kits and if one is a lot more expensive you expect a better quality kit.

11 hours ago, Doccur said:

If this had a Tamiya/Hasegawa/Eduard label on it instead of Airfix I’m not convinced you’d get half of the moaning about the price. As expressed by a couple of people above, you want a quality kit? You have got to pay for it! 

Not surprisingly, because people are basing that on what all these manufacturers have done before. If this kit comes out with poor surface detail then some people are going to be disappointed for the money. But we also have to remember this is a lot of plastic. Let's hope Airfix step things up anyway.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

A good point; though since I recall seeing three of these schemes for real I like them. Shame that at least one of the EDSG over white preceding schemes is not included - they were really nice.  I remember my serious spotter friends discussing where the demarcation lines were on different machines.

A Mk1 would be nice; do you suppose anyone will produce a conversion kit? 

You can't do a grey over white early Mk.2 from the kit, the early ones didn't have the bulged faring to reduce the noise between the front fuselage and the intakes, when these were retrofitted to the early ones at Sydenham they were the painted into the overall EDSG scheme. 

Also if you want to do an RAF one it needs a lot more than just the bulged bomb bay, it needs the arrestor hook housing changed, different RWR on the tail, different antenna including the ILS on the tail, wing tips changing for most, landing light on the nose gear, RAF specific weapons etc, all these have been accounted for, as well as the different ejection seat and control panel for the Martel converted airframes, so it will be better to wait for the future RAF release than bodging up a half baked conversion from the navy boxing. 

Yes I've been involved from the start with this crawling around XV361 as Paramjit could not get over to do it himself due to lockdown at the time. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, sniperUK said:

You can't do a grey over white early Mk.2 from the kit, the early ones didn't have the bulged faring to reduce the noise between the front fuselage and the intakes, when these were retrofitted to the early ones at Sydenham they were the painted into the overall EDSG scheme. 

Thanks sniperUK. Hadn't checked to see what the detail was there; that said, it's not a huge task to remove that unless it has been done in some odd way. It was q surprisingly simple mod to change the airflow at that point.

I imagine the next debate will be what is needed to produce a satisfactory SAAF Buccaneer Mk50 ! Very nice colour scheme.  I don't think they used the rocket assist much; I believe it was removed quite early on, Not sure about the larger slipper tanks, and there will be lots of fun for some people sorting out the later weapons fits.  

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

14 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The only competition is the old tool Airfix Buccaneer and theyve been selling at around £70 on a well known auction site. Mine cost about £85 once I'd paid for replacement decals, resin interior and some other Aftermarket parts.

Not to mention the new kit comes with a vast loudout and a huge amount of extra detail. 

I'm speaking as a large 1/48 scale jet in general, not necessarily the subject 

19 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Oh I do hope Hannants does a better job with their Xtradecal releases for this kit than they did with the 1/72 sheets.  Just plain goofy errors on those releases; no mortar board on the OCU badge for example!?!!  I mean that is like doing Hitler caricature nose art without the little square mustache! :shrug:

He had a tache......................?

18 hours ago, George Norman said:

Value for Money for me is not there TBH, Add in your Aftermarket bits n bobs and up it goes again......

Aftermarket is optional.................

• Haha 1

A good one, and went straight onto my shopping list.

The price is fair for an 1:48 kit the size of a Bucc with the shown level of detail. Caveat: Airfix’s low-grade plastic that’s not exactly enhancing the surface detail and their shoddy quality control letting out kit after kit with manufacturing defects (my last four Airfix new-tool kit purchases all had issues).

I think that’s mainly why people perceive the price to be too high and don’t put Airfix in the same league as Tamiya, Eduard or GWH even though Airfix do good work in their R&D. 

J

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Gordon J said:

This is huge for so many modellers.

It's going to be huge for my wallet...........................a huge burden!!!

Can't wait!

Here's a thought.

Airfix have shown a huge commitment to modellers with this years intended releases. The company could have sat back, released a few new decal options for existing kits, maybe even add a few new parts here and there. Blame it all on the world situation and hope for the best. Instead there's a load of brand new kits on the way. The investment required and the risk taken must be pretty high but they have gone for it.

The company has shown what it can do and the direction it is taking. Now the stuff has to sell to fund this.

I want a 1.24 EE Lightning.

Airfix are the only manufacturer likely to provide me with one. If I wait until they release one before I spend any money with them, the company will likely dissapear. They may well have had one in the pipeline, but it's too late now.

I'll be buying a few new releases and a few re released classics this year. Most will join the others in the stash. I'll have the kits, Airfix will have some seed funds.

Come the day my Lightning is announced, and we are all outraged at the price, I'll sell off some of the stash to pay for the kit I wanted that is now available.

With that money, Airfix will finally release the 1.24 scale Bristol Boarhound that another segment of the modelling world has been crying out for. The howls of anguish that it's not in 1.48 will echo across the forums, but it will pass.

We buy 'em. They make 'em. Or vica versa. If either stop, so does the ride.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

A good one, and went straight onto my shopping list.

The price is fair for an 1:48 kit the size of a Bucc with the shown level of detail. Caveat: Airfix’s low-grade plastic that’s not exactly enhancing the surface detail and their shoddy quality control letting out kit after kit with manufacturing defects (my last four Airfix new-tool kit purchases all had issues).

I think that’s mainly why people perceive the price to be too high and don’t put Airfix in the same league as Tamiya, Eduard or GWH even though Airfix do good work in their R&D. 

J

Its not perception, unfortunately its a fact, kits coming from India have poorest styrene quality of any mainstream manufacturer today, by far. Regarding detail, compare Bucc pics with any 48th.scale kit of comparable size issued in 2021 or before,  lack of surface detail( will get it exactly as shown on CAD pics-no more no less) is beyond me, I gained at least some of my myopia numbers pouring over Bucc pics, this kit is underdetailed by a long shot, cockpit, wheel bays, weapon bay, very simplified, again getting back to omitted surface detail.

All well if you put it as Series 8 kit, but not as Series 12 with two latest price hikes in less than half a year. This is half hearted/ budget tooling for premium price.

I truely want a.) good Bucc kit b.) Airfix to thrive..none of which is happening with current Hornby policies.

• Like 2