Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2 for 2022!

The_Lancaster

2 minutes ago, Plastic Bonsai said:

Oh nice.... but any chance of full engine access and a foldable nose so I can fit more on the shelf?

It looks like a lot of the 1/72 features including the Pulsator chaff and flare dispenser locations. Some of this could be the 1/72 scaled up.

It's not a scaled up 72nd but it is based on the scan of XV361 at the Ulster Aviation Society.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh I do hope Hannants does a better job with their Xtradecal releases for this kit than they did with the 1/72 sheets.  Just plain goofy errors on those releases; no mortar board on the OCU badge for example!?!!  I mean that is like doing Hitler caricature nose art without the little square mustache! :shrug:

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

My only quibble is the price, in an ever changing and competitive market £60+ for a 1/48 Buccaneer I feel is about £15 over priced. Looking at what some brands like ICM, Revell put out in regarding to 1/48 kits that is my 2 cents.

I'm very interested and its a subject I want after just finishing their 1/72 offering.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Price doesn’t seem too bad compared to the old one + the aftermarket you’d need to bring it up to the same standard… £20 for Neomega cockpit, another £15 for wheel wells, and £10 for Eduard exterior brass

best,

M.

I can bet you will still need to buy a PE or 3D set for the cockpit,plus a set of resin wheels, since Airfix wheels continue to lack detail. That will push the final price close to 90£ and there's shipping to add. For a price like that,not even if it was done by Tamiya. I bought GWH Su-27UB for 70€ and Tamiya's F-4B for 66€ at a czech shop so, I hope shop prices for the Bucc will be lower outside the UK.

• Like 3

Long long overdue and I'm not too phased by the price when one compares it with the cost of aftermarket to sort out the existing kit and the rising cost of 'cheap' kits from China......just look at the latest RRPs on Trumpeter, Hobby Boss and GWH. I have no doubt that some of you (like me) have previously paid 'premium' prices or the original OOP Airfix kit (since it was the only show in town) so it all needs to be taken in perspective.

This announcement, together with those for the big scale Spitfire IX and the Avro Anson for 2022 really do confirm Airfix's commitment to the British Modelling community and their requests over the years. Hopefully by 2025 we will have a 1:48 F-4 Phantom FG.1/FGR.2, SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1/3 and SA.330 Puma in the stable too !

WELL DONE AIRFIX !     

• Like 6

Container shipping prices have gone through the roof recently and anything oil based isn't going down in price any time soon. The price tag on this one hurts but Airfix will be needing a decent return to continue releasing new kits.

The recent announcements from Airfix are quite amazing really. They need supporting.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Container shipping prices have gone through the roof recently and anything oil based isn't going down in price any time soon. The price tag on this one hurts but Airfix will be needing a decent return to continue releasing new kits.

The recent announcements from Airfix are quite amazing really. They need supporting.

Value for Money for me is not there TBH, Add in your Aftermarket bits n bobs and up it goes again......

2 hours ago, AirfixAndy said:

The kit ive wanted Airfix to do for a number of years... Always wanted them to do a new tool but I cant justify paying over 70 quid for it unfortunately. 

Will still be building my two old tools instead 😢

All that time wasted waiting and still saved no extra’s for “THE MOMENT”!

Sell the old things on evil bay to someone not nowingly ….believe me it still can work out for you!

• Like 1

Very pleased by this but the price...?

The Tamiya F-4 comes with canopy masks at least and the Eduard dual Profipacks are £20-30 cheaper with P/E and masks.  It had better be as nice as the Lightnings and Javelin for that money.

High Quality = High Price.  Period. For lower price, we would have a less than good kit and then 10X comments wondering why Airfix did not invested in a high quality model.  How much would cost a Tamiya/Eduard Buccaneer if remotely possible (including weapons)..!!?? 

Now, you don´t have the money to pay for the new tool, look for the old one and do your best.  It is also a very nice kit (I have two of them).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Exactly!  If you want quality then it costs. 

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Price doesn’t seem too bad compared to the old one + the aftermarket you’d need to bring it up to the same standard… £20 for Neomega cockpit, another £15 for wheel wells, and £10 for Eduard exterior brass

best,

M.

1 hour ago, thepureness said:

My only quibble is the price, in an ever changing and competitive market £60+ for a 1/48 Buccaneer I feel is about £15 over priced. Looking at what some brands like ICM, Revell put out in regarding to 1/48 kits that is my 2 cents.

I'm very interested and its a subject I want after just finishing their 1/72 offering.  

1 hour ago, dreamwriter said:

I can bet you will still need to buy a PE or 3D set for the cockpit,plus a set of resin wheels, since Airfix wheels continue to lack detail. That will push the final price close to 90£ and there's shipping to add. For a price like that,not even if it was done by Tamiya. I bought GWH Su-27UB for 70€ and Tamiya's F-4B for 66€ at a czech shop so, I hope shop prices for the Bucc will be lower outside the UK.

This and a few other comments above.  My first reaction was "that's too pricey".  I read on and would change my first thoughts to the price is about right with one proviso.  Airfix do a very good job that makes most aftermarket redundant.  All you need  bar perhaps alternate decals - is there in the box.  If you get that then fair enough, if not then it should be £15-20 less than advertised.  I reckon the jury will be out a wee while yet.

• Like 2

I know a lot of modellers seem quite happy to constantly give Airfix a bit of a kicking. What I will say from my own personal point of view is they’re giving me the subjects I want. 1/48 Bucc this time, Chipmunk, Sabre, Vampire, Tiger Moth plus all the others they’ve done and that’s just 1/48.  No complaints from here. Pricing - I think that’s just the way things in general are heading.

• Like 21

If this had a Tamiya/Hasegawa/Eduard label on it instead of Airfix I’m not convinced you’d get half of the moaning about the price. As expressed by a couple of people above, you want a quality kit? You have got to pay for it! 

• Like 11

Well, I shan't be buying more than one (very unlike me) because of the price, but equally don't plan to be hammering Airfix over this as I don't think that they can be blamed for starting the pandemic (I look forward, for the 2029 catalogue hearing that they've managed to LIDAR the Pangolin responsible and will be releasing a 1/35 scale kit of it...] or the shipping container cost issues, or the raw material issues. Shame, but there you go

It also means that I can then wait for the RAF boxing(s) to appear and end up with three insulating the loft after reducing my now-ludicrously sized stash to manageable proportions (it is a properly, properly bonkers size thanks to the gifting and inheriting of kits)...

• Like 2

I often baulked at the price of the half dozen WNW kits that I wanted but that was the price. It seems a reasonable price for the Buccaneer but maybe the upper engine engine access area could have been left out. I don't know how much that would effect the cost of production but I am not sure that detail is necessary.

Keith

• Like 2