Close but no cigar Part 2 - BR Mogul (Unarmed GB entry) ##FINISHED##

nimrod54

Previously in another dimension...

This Dapol kit was the second build to miss the deadline in 2021. I replaced some of the moulded detail with aftermarket parts, finished the bulk of the painting and made a start on decaling when I ran out of time. There is still some detail painting to do and the rest of the decals to add along with the lining, and smaller details like buffers, couplings and steps to sort before this is finished.

This is where I am at with this one.

51812535449_c9d4445118_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51812296003_2dfccff9f6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

I spent an hour or so on this today painting in some of the detail in the cab. This photo has highlighted that a couple of the pipes will need some more paint and I still have a couple of bits of pipework to sort on the exterior. then I can press on with the lining decals.

51828983659_70515d81b2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

I finished painting up the pipework last night, then this morning I have applied the red lining decals to the boiler bands and cylinders. I hope to get more of the lining decals on this afternoon, after that I can number it up and add the final details.

51830052661_be67c14925_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51830052601_62a706024b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

Looking good so far. Back in the 1980's I repainted a lot of 00 gauge steam and diesel locos and coaches and did the lining, numbers etc using PC Pressfix "stickers" - as a matter of interest what are you using? Being rather younger my hands were not a problem and they went on well with only a few problems. At around the same time I built and detailed one of these. Just had a quick look at my display cabinets and I think I probably lined out over 20 locos, and it never ceases to amaze me how well the curves and lines on the cab and tender sides came together without many problems - I doubt I could manage it now, so best of luck with your lining!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Looking good so far. Back in the 1980's I repainted a lot of 00 gauge steam and diesel locos and coaches and did the lining, numbers etc using PC Pressfix "stickers" - as a matter of interest what are you using? Being rather younger my hands were not a problem and they went on well with only a few problems. At around the same time I built and detailed one of these. Just had a quick look at my display cabinets and I think I probably lined out over 20 locos, and it never ceases to amaze me how well the curves and lines on the cab and tender sides came together without many problems - I doubt I could manage it now, so best of luck with your lining!

Pete

Thanks Pete. These are waterslide decals by Railtec and this set is their 4mm BR Mixed Traffic set. I used some of HMRS's Pressfix transfers on a build of Dapol's 4-4-0 City of Truro a few years ago and these along with the Methfix type are still available. Decal technology has moved on with the advent of 3D printed types and Railtec now offer nameplates and shed codes as 3D items.

I'll photograph the remnants of the lining sheet for the next update.

John 

• Like 1

Thanks John,

I guess the waterslide decs will be easier to apply though the old pressfix did produce good "painted on" results with no carrier film. For the other items I have always used diecast plates, though they are getting a bit expensive now. I still have 2 of the old Airfix Schools and a Battle of Britain/West Country to finish off sometime - maybe even in this KUTA now your build has reminded me.

Pete

• Like 2

Almost there with this one now. I completed the lining, added the cab and smokebox numbers, then added glazed areas to the cab and tender using a combination of clear packaging and Glue 'n' Glaze. After that I added the screw-link couplings, brake and vac pipes and added coal load to the tender. A tidy up of the yellow paint and some red stripes on the covers of the tender wheels should see this wrapped up tomorrow.

I have chosen to base this on the preserved Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76084 currently running on the North Norfolk Railway - mainly because of its links to the North-West. The loco was built at Horwich and allocated the sheds at Lower Darwen in 1957, and after further re-allocations she ended her days at the Springs Branch, Wigan in June 1967 before being shipped off to Barry Island in December that year where she was eventually purchased by a preservation group. Following several changes of owner she was purchased by the 76084 Locomotive Company and moved to Morpeth and it was here that she was restored. Following a 16 year restoration programme, 76084 was returned to steam in May 2013, that July she was returned to traffic and there would be brief spell back here in the North-West in 2014 when she could be seen running along the East Lancs Railway tracks.

51848759056_9a73cf30e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51849413050_63e9c8b9e8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

I finished the last couple of jobs this morning and that completes this build. I had intended to replace the brake and vac pipes with some aftermarket parts, but discovered to late in the build that they should sit lower on the buffer beam than they do in the kit. In the end I have chosen to go with kit position and items rather than carry out the remedial work to correct things. Here are a couple of shots of the end result.

51850049499_2fab6508fb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51850376825_78e168b748_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks to everyone who has tagged along, and for all the kind comments during this longer than expected build.

Cheers

John

• Like 6

• nimrod54 changed the title to Close but no cigar Part 2 - BR Mogul (Unarmed GB entry) ##FINISHED##

Hi John,

Nice job. I am having the same problem with the vac and steam pipes in my Schools kit - they are in the wrong place so I will move them. Might in some of these kits be down to the innacurate front bogie/truck needed to run on model layouts with tight curves as I mentioned in my build thread - stopped me adding drain pipes from the cylinders as well. I like the textured fall plate in the cab - did it come with kit, or did you either make it or buy an AM one? I usually make them from card but they don't have the texture of course.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, I haven't made any changes to the cab on this one, all the detail there comes with the kit. The front bogie looks to be set too far back to me especially when compared to the side-elevation drawing in this useful online reference BR Standard Class 4MT , it appears as though the leading edge of the bogie wheel is level with the front edge of the steps and I agree with you that this was probably to allow them to be run on tight curves of model layouts. It still makes up into a nice model though and I would like to have a crack at another one, perhaps a Southern Region one with the larger tender.

John 

• Thanks 1

Gidday John @nimrod54,when my son was younger he had a HO/OO trainset. I was never bitten by the train bug myself but I did the electrical wiring and some scenery (very basic) for him. The large steam engines such as this still appealed to me though, they have a sense of grandeur I think. This looks a very good model.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday John @nimrod54,when my son was younger he had a HO/OO trainset. I was never bitten by the train bug myself but I did the electrical wiring and some scenery (very basic) for him. The large steam engines such as this still appealed to me though, they have a sense of grandeur I think. This looks a very good model.

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, once in a while I get the urge to build something railway related and with a small amount of work these kits can be made into decent looking models. When I was at home with the folks, I had a 14ft x 2ft-6in N Gauge layout in my room, but when Miss B consented to become Mrs N it was eventually packed away and has remained in boxes for almost 40years. 

John

• Like 1