Junkers JU52

kingabunyip

I've just completed the Revell Junkers Ju52/3m in 1/144 scale. 

The model was a bit pants to be honest. Can anyone recommend a1/72 version of the same aircraft please, in military spec? 

It's a good looking plane, just the kit wasn't great. 

As far as I know, there are only three different kits in 1/72. Airfix, Italeri and Heller and they have been reissued by different firms.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=ju+52*&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00072"

I find the Heller kit to have the fines corrugation patter of them. Neither kit is new. Airfix-1962, Heller-1979 and Italeri-1977

• Like 1

There's an extensive comparison here on Britmodeller:

I, too, like the Heller kit, but as it is based on the French-built late version, with a cockpit door on the starboard side, it is not appropriate for all versions.  This door first appeared on the g3e, was then deleted, and reintroduced on g7e.  It also has the large starboard cargo door of g4e.

The roof-mounted loop antenna:  large on the early ones, smaller later, eventually eliminated.

It's too bad old 'Aunt Ju' doesn't get built as often as she merits, but modellers seem to prefer fighter planes to 'workhorses.'

GRM

• Like 3

The Italeri kit is also available from Revell and the Heller kit seems to have been reboxed by Kovozavody Prostejov. 

Plenty of aftermarket decals for variation

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=Ju-52&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Way back when only the Airfix kit was available to me.

This is what sold it to me.....It was bought, built and painted, as per the film, within the week! (Still love the music, BTW)

Haha that's what made me buy mine! Watched it a couple of months ago

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Way back when only the Airfix kit was available to me.

This is what sold it to me.....It was bought, built and painted, as per the film, within the week! (Still love the music, BTW)

Back in 1969, when the film came out in Denmark, I was 16 and already into modelling, so a chum of mine sent me in to see the film, just saying that it was pretty good and had WW2 aircrafts in it.

I was completely overwhelmed from the first seconds, as a matter of fact, I'm still getting goosebumps when seeing the opening scene...

/Finn

• Like 1