1/48 ScratchAeronautics Supermarine Scimitar

Corvi

I have started work on the 1/48 ScratchAeronautics Supermarine Scimitar.  IT seems to be a resin copy of the excellent Dynavector kit.  IT is a decent outline but is NO kit for a beginner.  IT has many obstacles to overcome. Resin assembly & alignment.  Also the surface has many airbubbles that need to be filled.  The details in the Cockpit could use some help and other areas too.     But it is the ONLY game in town unless someone tackles the subject in this scale, which seems highly unlikely.   The superlative kit of this subject still seems to be the CMR resin kit in 1/72....the later moulded kit.....An absolute gem from what I have seen!!

The ScratchAeronautics kit is hard to get and expensive if you can find one...just like the Dynavector kit.    Which I presume would be a bit easier to build but still need some help in areas.   

My old university attempt at this subject!!

Steve,

2 4 5 6 7

• Like 7

DID you find there was a lot of pin holes in the castings??  I found too many filled some but hoped primer would conceal the rest.  The castings were a bit primitive....especially landing struts and wheels where the fine details were obscured by less than ideal casting.

Steve,

• 4 weeks later...

OK here  it is completed  I am NOT completely happy but calling it a day

I would have preferred to build the Dynavector kit which this kit is most definitely based on BUT they are very hard to come by right now....This is a decent effort but it is a true cottage industry resin casting w/ all the expected warts that come with that....pin holes and weak castings and soft detail but it is the only game in town...Dont want to tell you how much I paid for it??  BUT now I have a 1/48 Scimitar in my FAA collection   It very doubtful there will be a mainstream IM kit of this airframe anytime..........

NOW waitng for Airfix 1/48 new tool Buccy this year!!!   Bring it on!!

Steve,

17 16 21 20 19 18 13 15

• Like 6

Thanks  I followed that thread it seems...there MAY be a kit and the scale is not determined.  We will see if this kit comes to fruition or if it is vaporware....  i would probably get another 1/48 Scimitar... depending on quality of manufacturing of course?!?

I am looking forward to the pending 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer....

https://uk.airfix.com/products/blackburn-buccaneer-s2-a12012

Steve

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Steve,

regardless how much of a fight it was to finish the kit, the result is really nice 👍 I love the lines of the Scimitar and it's a pity there is no mainstream kit in this scale available.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve

It is a plane that I know next to nothing about... buy your model looks great! 

I have several Scratchaeronautics kits, but only build 1 as of yet, a C-101 in Patruilla Aguila colors.

hard to build, yes, but full of detail! Some older injection kits have far less!!

Thanks guys 

Yes They are  good kits but they are caveats ...Just want people to know what they are in for before getting the kit.   The kits build up nicely but do require work in fitting and even some extra strength in areas such as undercarriage, and main assembly points.  Nice to have a 1/48 Scimitar in my FAA collection. 

ON the other side if the scans become a kit I maybe interested in another Scimitar.....esp. a 1/48 IM kit!! 

Steve,