Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3 Op Corporate

Bish

Time for another Falklands war build, the Airfix 72nd Harrier GR.3. This is one of their newer kits so has some lovely detail.

spacer.png

I am adding a little AM, including an Eduard PE set and Pavla resin seat. So i got the pit painted and the PE fitted. Even though the resin seat has molded on belts, i fitted the pre coloured PE ones other those.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thats all for now. But i am looking for some advice. The kit comes with a Vinten camera pod, would rthis be right for the falklands war as i can't find any info on it. Also, i believe several GR.3's, including the one in the kit, had some called Blue jay fitted into one of the Aden gun pods. Would there be any external differance. Thanks.

• Like 4

Freightmodels do one:- https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product/freightdog-1-72-harrier-gr-3-blue-eric-ecm-pod-new-airfix-kit/ .

Also do not forget that Airfix got the height of the fin fitted with the RWR too small. Again Freightdogmodels do a replacement:-https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product/freightdog-1-72-harrier-gr-3-corrected-fin-for-new-airfix-kit/ .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jabba. I have looked at the pob but noticed its been out of astock for a while. And i have heard its not very accurate. I've been able to scratch build what i think it a pretty good part for it. I didn't know about the fin, though i had seen that part. Thanks, but i'm a bit to far along for that now.

The Harrier has come along nicely. Cockpit fitted and fuselage together.

spacer.png

There was one issue, with the forward undercarrage bay. This is in 2 halves with each being fitted to the intakes and then into each side of the fuselage before thats put together. But i have a gap of about 2mm and i can't see where the issue is, everything else has fitted fine. It won't be visible once on the base but still a bit annoying.

spacer.png

Got all the last bits added including PE.

spacer.png

I found out that this aircraft was one of 4 GR.3's fitted with Blue Eric ECM which was fitted into one of the Aden cannon pobs. So a little bit of scratch building was needed for this though i didn't have much in the way of images to go off, i'm pretty happy with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Eveything in the box has been left off to paint. Its now had a primer and the grey coat added. So should be able to mask in a day or so.

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, Bish said:

Time for another Falklands war build, the Airfix 72nd Harrier GR.3. This is one of their newer kits so has some lovely detail.

spacer.png

I am adding a little AM, including an Eduard PE set and Pavla resin seat. So i got the pit painted and the PE fitted. Even though the resin seat has molded on belts, i fitted the pre coloured PE ones other those.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thats all for now. But i am looking for some advice. The kit comes with a Vinten camera pod, would rthis be right for the falklands war as i can't find any info on it. Also, i believe several GR.3's, including the one in the kit, had some called Blue jay fitted into one of the Aden gun pods. Would there be any external differance. Thanks.

The vinten pod  was a standard fit on Harrier at that time.

Selwyn

Thanks guys. I did do some more reading and found info of what seemed like the Vinten pod, so i will be adding that. thanks.

No, i will leave the fin, i am happy enough how it is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got the scheme done a few weeks ago. First time doing a wrap around scheme, i found it a bit tricky making sure the masking was right, but i love the result.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here are the final pics of the Harrier. After the decals i kust gave it a light flory was then a mat coat. I used Eduard resin BL755 cluster bombs on the outer pylons. The rest are from the kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used a base from Coastal kits. I do like there carrier decks, they are perfect for a flat metal surface. But i am not so keen on these ones are there is no texture. But its the only option for this type of matting. This was used at the FOB set up at San Carlos in May 82. It allowed Harriers and Sea Harriers operating from the carriers to attack Argentinian positions, then re-arm and re-fuel before mounting another attack on route back to the ships. It also meant that aircraft could be on call to provide air support to the ground troops much closer to the front line than operating from sea. The FOB, known as RAF West Wittering to the RAF, was in use from the 2nd of June to the end of hostilities 10 days later. I only found out about this FOB a few years ago, which is a pity as i had been to San Carlos a couple of times when down south.

I did cut away the printed grass areas and replace with static grass.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome as always.

• Like 13

Totally missed this...

Very nice work, the etched parts really add value to the cockpit. The Harrier looks very good on it´s little base.

I built the same kit in same markings with the same loadout two years ago.😎

Daniel