FAA Phantom Blue

Harry_the_Spider

FAA Phantoms weren't painted blue; upper surfaces were Extra Dark Sea Grey for which I know of no direct Tamiya equivalent.  Humbrol 125 is a good match.  Thex EDSG on FAA hansom seemed to weather quite quickly to something approaching Dark Sea Grey but with bit of a blue cast: as always try to get images of your chosen subject and maybe be prepared for a bit if mixing.

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Italeri have it as a blue.

Never trust the colour suggestions of a brand with its own paints to push - according to my Italeri instructions, Bf 109F's have FS36375 Light Ghost Gray lower surfaces. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

This was the mix I found on here, can’t remember who posted it, but all

credit to them, whoever it was :)

Base coat of EDSG is on!  This is my home brew EDSG - 6 parts XF-24 Dark Grey, 2 parts XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, 1 part XF-50 Field Blue; subsequent coats will be that mix with varying degrees of lightening to break up the large expanses of the same colour.  However, it's a start and I am very pleased with it:

cheers

Phil

1 hour ago, I Dole said:

Can we presume McD dark sea gray 33B/1527 was the same as UK Extra dark sea grey?

I don't remember anyone noticing a difference between Phantoms and Buccaneers.

33B/1527 was a MoD store reference number, so identified a certain paint to a certain standard in a container of a certain size. Several members have been trying to find a stores number catalogue from the era with no success, so what paint was indicated is still not clear. It is also strange how the manufacturer used this kind of reference in their paint scheme but guess someone told them to do so and they simply followed the instructions.

The scheme for the RAF F-4M however also mentions the same store reference number for the upper camouflage grey, and we know this is Dark Sea Grey while other elements point to 1527 actually being the same Dark Sea Grey.

More on the matter in this thread from a few years ago

• Like 1

It has been noted here and elsewhere before, that when the FAA Phantoms were delivered from McDD they appeared to be in a different grey to the specified  Extra Dark Sea Grey, could be described as a lighter grey in tone but with a more blueish hue. Not sure if same as Dark Sea Grey, maybe lighter.

I've seen it said that as they went through there first periods of maintenance in the early 1970s that they were refinished in Extra Dark Sea Grey.

Photos seem to back this up, but it's then relying on perception and the quality of those pictures 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Only the Dark Sea Grey upper surface top coat :-

Photo - courtesy, the Late Dick Ward 

HTH

Dennis

Interestingly, that's a late picture so the Phantom must have been repainted by then.

Neil

• Like 3

This is from the Mc.D factory drawing for the RAF scheme, the dark sea grey has the same stores reference and PS number (what ever that may be) so I would venture it's safe to say that the RN Phantoms were delivered in  BS381 638 Dark Sea Grey. 

uQsHXG.jpg

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'm sure I remember as a kid, painting the Revell 1/72 RN Phantom FG1 (actually just their US F4J with RN decals!) blue as per the instructions! 

I remember that kit as well Graham.  👍

Chris.

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

This is from the Mc.D factory drawing for the RAF scheme, the dark sea grey has the same stores reference and PS number (what ever that may be) so I would venture it's safe to say that the RN Phantoms were delivered in  BS381 638 Dark Sea Grey. 

uQsHXG.jpg

John

Maybe "MAC P.S." stands for McDonnell Aircraft Corporation Painting Standard?" Just a wild guess...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1