Just moved house, and all my models were smashed in the move

lesthegringo

Despite me making special boxes to hold the models in foam board cradles, the boxes being marked THIS WAY UP in big letters next to an arrow, FRAGILE marked on every face with the correct symbol sticker, and the words TOP LOAD ONLY written on them, all my models are damaged, some beyond any hope of repair. The boxes arrived upside down, of on their side, under heavy boxes, and the customs guys appear to have opened them upside down making sure that they broke them. I would swear they were playing rugby with the boxes, based on the condition of them.

I took all the removable parts off and the transparencies and then put them into zip lock bags taped to the inside of the boxes; they were strewn all over the bottom of the shipping container, we got them out using a broom.

There are a total of 50 models, in varying states of repair, I can't face doing a full review at the moment. I suspect that in the fullness of time I will be on these pages on the Wanted forum to try and salvage some of them. But now I also realise, after this being the 4th move with the models , that I am trying to cling on to a hobby that is incompatible with repeated long distance moves. I reluctantly may give up on it until such time that I am settled somewhere. If I decide to do so I will let all of my tools, paints and all the other bits and bobs go to someone here (Qatar) along with the remaining models in the stash. 

Cheers

Les

• Sad 20

That's awful, I feel your pain ☹️

Whenever I move I transport anything fragile or of sentimental value myself, though obviously not a feasible option if you're moving between countries.

Thanks all for the responses. Yes, there is insurance provided by the shipper and I will be claiming on it. Of course, they will only reimburse part of the real cost, as maybe they will just pay the price for a replacement kit. All the work done is lost. It took over four months to get the shipment, but straight away when it finally arrived we saw problems. Our dining table has a big piece smashed off it, a number of vases and glassware smashed plus a myriad of little issues

Still, most is replaceable or fixable, there was nothing priceless or irreplaceable lost, so we have to look on the positive side

Cheers

Les

• Sad 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All, I finally bit the bullet and started sorting through the wreckage of what used to be my models. There are some that can be reparied quite easily, thankfully, where the parts have simply been pushed off and despite the best efforts of the customs guys or shippers, I was able to retrieve the parts in good enough condition that I can with a bit of effort reattach.

Then there are some where things like tailplanes and undercarriage have been broken off at the attachment points, which I will have to try and figure out how to attach with sufficient strength, but basically the parts are there in good enough condition to try.

Next are the ones where the parts have been smashed off and are either unrecoverable, have been stood on during the emptying of the container (yes, there were bits strewn over the container floor) or have just gone missing. I will start a post in the wanted section to see if any of those parts can be got, I would appreciate any help I can get in this regard.

Lastly, the write-offs; again thankfully not too many, but to name a few a Tamiya spit, Great Wall P-61, Revell Huey Cobra. All look like someone played football with them.

Like I said, if anyone has any of the parts listed in the wanted section, I would be very happy to get them

Cheers

Les 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3