USS Midway carrier ops

72modeler

I've noticed that before with the white painted nose tyres on Savages, I also wonder why?

Super footage again Mike, the Savage that lost the hook was lucky to cause minimal damage like that, looks like the barrier was just being raised in time.

Going from some of the the F2H Banshees this is obviously filmed in that period when the US Navy were going to natural aluminium finish before settling on the light grey and white scheme.

The Banshee at 4:30 & 6:30, is that carrying a dummy 'special' weapon on the stb'd inner pylon?  It's a big lump!

I really wish that someone would produce a decent injected AJ-2 Savage, I haven't the resolve to tackle my Mach2 one!

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

I've noticed that before with the white painted nose tyres on Savages, I also wonder why?

If the AJ was catapulted with the nose wheel swiveled aft, the nose gear would tend to jam outside the wheel well when the gear was retracted (not a big deal, since the gear would extend properly and the wheel would swivel back into position on touchdown). The right side of the nose wheel was painted white so the catapult officer would be able to easily determine that it was correctly positioned.

Scroll down in this post for a picture of an AJ on a tanking mission with the nose landing gear not fully retracted: https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2016/05/power-steering.html

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Never seen a Mk7 training 'shape'* painted blue before. The USAF kept theirs in bare metal with a different coloured nose to a live store.

*M-21 was the designation of the practice round.

Here are some blue shapes being lofted by Navy a/c:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/81266

Jari

• Thanks 1