Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV Classic: condition of tracks?

Seahawk

I am thinking of buying an Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV to cross-kit with a Matchbox Panzer IV/70 to give me a Panzer IV/70 (A) (the ungainly tall version).  For me, this is only going to be worthwhile financially (or even viable at all) if I get a set of usable tracks out of the Airfix kit.  Now the last time I bought an Airfix Panzer IV was in the 1970s and even then the black vinyl tracks were suffering from distortion, incomplete moulding and flash.  Can anyone tell me what the tracks look like in the current Classic reissue?  Have Airfix cleaned them up at all?  A photograph would be really nice.

All pointers gratefully received.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for that.  The tracks in your example are nothing like as bad as the worst I had in the 1970s but, as you say, they still look a bit rough against modern standards.  No point in my investing time in a part scratchbuild if it's going to be let down by rubbish tracks.  Another idea on hold.

I like the panzer yellow you used on the StuG.  Is that Vallejo Model Air 71.330 as seen in the background of one of the photos please?

4 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Thanks for that.  The tracks in your example are nothing like as bad as the worst I had in the 1970s but, as you say, they still look a bit rough against modern standards.  No point in my investing time in a part scratchbuild if it's going to be let down by rubbish tracks.  Another idea on hold.

I know what you mean. The Airfix Mk IV is still pretty good and deserves better tracks. I tried to find some aftermarket ones for it (and the StuG) but nothing appears to be available. 

Paint is Tamiya XF-88.

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Try OKB Grigorov, which is currently offering tracks for Pz.III/IV.

I think then I'd have some exquisite tracks let down by a rubbish model!  Joking aside, I've heard good things about them but has anyone any experience of getting stuff from them post Brexit?

58 minutes ago, IanC said:

Paint is Tamiya XF-88.

Oh good: that's what I'm already using.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, Orso said:

I did the same conversion 20 years ago: https://www.baecklund.eu/scalemodels/72/pz4.html

Comparing pics of it with the original Matchbox kit makes me think that I used the Matchbox tracks on it. The tracks on my Bergepanzer IV are Airfix and look different.

Yes, that's the beastie.  Like the lifting hooks on the top of the superstructure sides.  Those look like Matchbox tracks.  Thing is, they are slightly too long to fit properly around the sprocket and idler: if you take a few links out, you have not one but two joins to disguise in the track which wasn't too brilliant in the first place.  Not a problem for most Jagdpanzer IVs and Panzer IV/70s as the Schuerzen will cover the top run of the tracks.

Why two joints? I would just remove some at one end and glue the ends together with the joint under a road wheel. Loctite all plastics would be the glue I choose for this: https://www.lenehans.ie/loctite-super-plastix.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI35jspvmp9QIVh6ztCh1M4wWZEAQYASABEgKK-_D_BwE

It seems like they changed name on it again: https://www.loctite-consumer.co.uk/en/products/super-glue-liquid/super_glue_all_plastics.html

I used it on the silver plastic tracks that is impossible to glue on my Airfix Chi-Ha

chi-ha_01.JPG

On 1/11/2022 at 2:59 PM, Orso said:

Why two joints?

Because Matchbox have a (quite clever) joining system where you insert one end through the other end and twist.  Joint 1.  It's not feasible to take a couple of links out of that section so it has to be done by making a cut somewhere else: joint 2.

Am using Loctite superglue gel  to get the vinyl tracks (thick but after all this time prone to cracking) to conform to the sprockets and idlers.