Yugoslav Hot Rod: Tu-134A

On 1/12/2022 at 8:41 AM, Viking said:

Wow, spectacular model and I love the visible flightdeck crew!

Viking--you are such a pro, and I really appreciate your kind words.  

On 1/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, RCI said:

nice, good crafting and of course a great choice, in fact one of my favorite paintjobs on the 134.

Thanks so much, RCI!  It's really an attractive paint job, and works best with the black solid nose.  I had to use decals to smooth out the lines, and from a distance it works well.  I loved your little one with the Lift Here decals--which are quite good.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, Tomcat101 said:

Very nice build.  The Tu-134 was not such a great airplane but I always liked the design.

Thanks so much!  Yeah, it was not such a great airplane, but it was the first one the Soviets built with Western certification in mind.  Heck, I think the Russian Government is still flying 'em.

15 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Is it just me or does white on the vertical tail company logo seem to be a bit translucent?

Zdravo, Jure!  The white company logo consists of two white decals stacked atop one-another to conceal the red paint underneath.  The result looks ok to me, but it's not "pure" white.  It's the same with the Yugoslav flag, which I borrowed from a partly used "Lift Here" AN-2 set.  Glad you like the curtains!  Those are Post-It notes in faded orange, exactly how I'd imagine the real things looked.  

On 1/14/2022 at 2:00 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Viking--you are such a pro, and I really appreciate your kind words.  

Thanks so much, RCI!  It's really an attractive paint job, and works best with the black solid nose.  I had to use decals to smooth out the lines, and from a distance it works well.  I loved your little one with the Lift Here decals--which are quite good.

Thanks so much!  Yeah, it was not such a great airplane, but it was the first one the Soviets built with Western certification in mind.  Heck, I think the Russian Government is still flying 'em.

Zdravo, Jure!  The white company logo consists of two white decals stacked atop one-another to conceal the red paint underneath.  The result looks ok to me, but it's not "pure" white.  It's the same with the Yugoslav flag, which I borrowed from a partly used "Lift Here" AN-2 set.  Glad you like the curtains!  Those are Post-It notes in faded orange, exactly how I'd imagine the real things looked.  

mine was build with 26Decals (Boa print) and they were the pure catastrophe. i ripped some of them, when i masked the plane and that caused tons of work. You went the better way... :)

i also have the amodel kit and if i will ever build it then most likely Syrian current c/s or Interflug.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RCI said:

also have the amodel kit and if i will ever build it then most likely Syrian current c/s or Interflug

As regards 1/72 scale, don't forget that HAD also offers a beautiful set of MALEV decals.  The kit I built as AVIOGENEX came with Interflug, but watch out--the windows on the kit are too big, and the decals that come with the kit are designed for the uncorrected size.  

As you are an "RCI," after all, you appreciate that the pax windows in 1/72 are no more than 5.5mm in diameter, and the kit's are about 7mm, so you have some work in order to make them look right.  I used a succession of circle masks to reduce their diameter.  First, I employed 6mm masks to protect them from the primer and gloss white.  Then I used 5mm (a little small, admittedly) to protect the clear areas while airbrushing on the aluminum "frames."  The results are what you see, and look better from a distance.

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
clarification

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

As regards 1/72 scale, don't forget that HAD also offers a beautiful set of MALEV decals.  The kit I built as AVIOGENEX came with Interflug, but watch out--the windows on the kit are too big, and the decals that come with the kit are designed for the uncorrected size.  

As you are an "RCI," after all, you appreciate that the pax windows in 1/72 are no more than 5.5mm in diameter, and the kit's are about 7mm, so you have some work in order to make them look right.  I used a succession of circle masks to reduce their diameter.  First, I employed 6mm masks to protect them from the primer and gloss white.  Then I used 5mm (a little small, admittedly) to protect the clear areas while airbrushing on the aluminum "frames."  The results are what you see, and look better from a distance.

yes, i read about the problem, but i wouldnt use decals anyways. so no problem for me. but this kit is quite far away on my to do list. after the 757 comes a 787 and then lets see... what about your next projects?

• Like 1