Yugoslav Hot Rod: Tu-134A

Brought back from the Shelf O' Doom, I present you with A-Model's Tupolev Tu-134A, done up in custom decals to represent "Zagreb," as flown by Aviogenex in the 70's and 80's.  This one fought me hard.  The wings and horizontal stabilizers are butt-joined, and you need to take an educated guess at the wing anhedral.  Lining up the landing gear is a minor adventure.  The paint?  Oh, the paint.  All those fuselage stripes are painted, touched up with decal painted in the right colors, which was by far the hardest part.  Hard to photograph, because it needs a lot of space, it's about the size of a Lockheed Constellation in the same scale, and quite heavy.  Yes, there's a flight crew on board--three little Yugoslavs from PJ Productions!  

Why?  Because Aviogenex is probably the only non-Soviet airline to voluntarily purchase the Tu-134 and put it in revenue service.  Before they replaced them with 737s, Aviogenex flew the wings off of the Tupolevs for 20 years, with only a couple major (fatal) crashes in-between.  They may even have made a healthy profit despite the plane's carrying 30 fewer passengers, and weighing seven tons more--empty--than a DC-9-30. 

Enjoy!  I'm just relieved to have crossed the finish line with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
clarification
  • Like 54
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant work. Well done with the stripes they are always difficult to do and you,ve done a smashing job, nice sharp demarkations. Great build as well, The step between the windscreen and the fuselage takes a bit of getting rid of and again well done.

Pete

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Respect, you fought and you won , nice work !

Thanks, Wulfman!  It won't be my last A-Model.  

18 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

I love 134’s and that one looks fantastic

I appreciate them too, Swamp Donkey!  The Aviogenex color scheme really helps the lines--thanks also for the generous compliment!

15 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Great build as well, The step between the windscreen and the fuselage takes a bit of getting rid of and again well done

Pete, having seen your work, I am really pleased you liked this one.  BTW, the windscreen step is there, but I carefully hid it with the matte anti-glare panel.

15 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Super impressed by your stripe work.

You should be even more impressed by the way the (unimpressive) photo quality masks all the mistakes!  Thanks so much!

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice. I remember them well

Wish I could say the same, RidgeRunner, and thanks!  I remember traveling through Frankfurt in '91 and seeing one taxi past the observation deck.  It sounded different, and certainly appeared otherworldly, in comparison to Western equipment.  The look grows on you, though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Tupolev Tu-134A!

Saluti, sir!  I am most honored, considering your expertise in the equipment.

10 hours ago, djos said:

Rare bird, great finish

Thank you!  I like to honor Yugoslavia the way it once was--a place with numerous flaws, but considerable charm.

9 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Despite the trials, the end result is magnificent!

So glad you like it!

Very nicely done. I remember seeing the Aviogenex Tu-134s regularly at Manchester - I've always loved the distinctive look of the thing. I built one of these a few years ago, not the easiest of builds but I'd build another if I had room for it (however I do have a few of the lovely Zvezda 1/144 kits in the stash), and you've done a great job.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zebra said:

I do have a few of the lovely Zvezda 1/144 kits in the stash

Thanks for your warm words, Zebra!  I agree with you that the Zvezda kit is a real charm.  If only the A-Model kit were that way.  Would love to see yours, too, if willing to share.

38 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Thanks for your warm words, Zebra!  I agree with you that the Zvezda kit is a real charm.  If only the A-Model kit were that way.  Would love to see yours, too, if willing to share.

Here you go:

• Like 2

Excellent build and a great livery too.

I remember those Tupolevs being frequent visitors at our local airport.

Great sight,loud as hell...but loved it

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

You earned my respect!

But is was definitely worth your effort. Well done!

Thank you!  Something "easier" next time, I reckon, like a Canberra PR.7

14 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Excellent build and a great livery too.

Thanks, Alex!  I always enjoy seeing yours, too.  Yes, I assume they were screaming loud at takeoff.

awesome, mate! looks really nice, good crafting and of course a great choice, in fact one of my favorite paintjobs on the 134. i built the same in th small scale, but its appearance in 72nd is mighty!! well done

• Thanks 1

Very nice build, I like the curtains in cabin windows. Is it just me or does white on the vertical tail company logo seem to be a bit translucent?

I remember seeing Aviogenex's Tupolevs on Brnik a couple of times when a was a kid. Before swithcing to 737-200s, the company bought two ex-governmental 727-200. I built 1/100 Plastikard Tu-134 some forty years ago and foolishly gave it away few years later in an effort to free some space in my room, filled with hundreds of models. There is A-Model Tu-134 A in my stash, too, and I also intend to build it in Aviogenex livery. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1