Italeri 1/72 Saab JAS 39A Gripen [FINISHED]

klr

As well as this kit, I also had the much newer Revell kit of the Gripen C in the stash. But I'm a glutton for punishment. I bought this kit at an air show in Galway about 20 years ago.

AVvXsEhMB9_wFITvX2jj7GYtCTTm_8ZhHMv8uRB9

AVvXsEjaDUMu9B2VRw5xOycp3AB0lZxrlWWgMcRY

AVvXsEhA2lAuI3mn6Gv3nxjm9DIO7A2chJSXigyV

AVvXsEhiMN1g0QcGG0TzdIy6wKzE9zaBswqY-SPf

Edited by klr

Like the Airfix J30 Mosquito,  this was a kit I started before Christmas, and resumed after. To put it bluntly, it was not a pleasant build.

The back of the headrest needed filling in. The front looked better. I painted the seatbelts later.

AVvXsEgFCPd0f8Xw2c6wfbhoQ2PouZhLqyRJCtKn

AVvXsEiPC45HR-S2Hq_u4-fUu3Y2cZ_3oIYqFICX

The completed cockpit "tub" in place. When I tried to attach the seat to the floor, it just wouldn't stay there. Clearly, the seat wouldn't lie flush against both the floor and the rear bulkhead at the same time. So I ended up attaching it to just the bulkhead,

AVvXsEialhF6jqfA3y9dR3L_r8uL_eqaFmB0BqDJ

The main airframe assembly was relatively quick, although the upper port wing root to fuselage joined needed considerable cleaning up later.

AVvXsEgg5VBgr9txFiByF_T5-PuDQhF2GSLI-rM_

AVvXsEiyq8P5VgG5Mxiw6MaussqJNoSjrxx2ZSp_

The air brakes were a very loose fit, requiring much effort to. You can also see the poor wing root join here.

AVvXsEg6dPRzvCU_Xwxh7CcuRLHceTZkRhUCas-U

Note the difference in the splitter plates. I should have investigated this further before attaching the intake fairings, but no. Only later did I realise the port side fairing didn't line up. Cue yet more sandpaper and elbow grease.

AVvXsEh5LQzsEf9Vs01KtRfgk33zBZmTtP-bq46B

AVvXsEjTg_sn1aL5ELLoHcf7IRltd8G96RxK27kw

The completed airframe, minus the canopy:

AVvXsEivJCLfcmrEtpaQd6f8zRDaU6Cc-9mCVe8z

• Like 1

I started to apply the first coat of Hu 145 (FS 35237):

AVvXsEib3vdM8xkefFX3a12RNdp621fO-XMEovlM

Only then did I attach the canopy and windscreen, which I had cemented together beforehand. In my experience, the canopy to windscreen join can be such a problem that I prefer to assemble it first, and only then attach it to the airframe. Naturally, that may lead to problems elsewhere, but they are generally easier to deal with. In this case, the there was considerable overhang on the port side, which took several iterations of sanding and priming to fix.

AVvXsEjDIJ4q_L3oOTmQHX3GueaUCnP2ZvJk3dir

One thing I forgot to mention earlier: In the instructions, the part numbers for the inboard and outboard pylons were mixed up. I didn't realise this until after I'd attached them, and had to backtrack. Some of the attachment points for the stores were quite frankly clunky.

AVvXsEg0pCzgSgGna1MMKn5uDUoCbtXzlsJVAHZu

• klr changed the title to Italeri 1/72 Saab JAS 39A Gripen [FINISHED]

That came up nicely too. (guess who has been looking through some of the Ragnar builds he hadn't seen before. ;) ) I've a Tamiya boxing of this kit& have long wanted to do the early scheme with the black nose cone, proper fighter jets have black noses in my book.  ;) It might have been a slightly awkward build but it has come up well & I'd be more than happy with a job like that. :)

Steve.