Airfix Model World -- late for range announcement?

cmatthewbacon

Nothing today, no Jadlam order, the Royal Mail 48 service has now taken 120 hours and still not delivered, that is if Jadlam actually shipped when they said they did, which I doubt.

And no Airfix magazine either.

Cheers,

Nigel

Aifix Magazine in WHSmiths Hinckley today.Noticed that it has increased in price to £5.49,still good value and interesting to read with quite a broad spectrum of articles contained within the issue.

Dave.

(I had my patience tested...........I'm negative.)

2 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Ditto. Have been informed that our local office is only delivering parcels and special delivery items. Standard mail is being held as they are experiencing high levels of sickness. Well if they are delivering those, why can't they deliver the post to the same addresses? It's also a concern if important letters are being held up. Hospital appointment, test results etc. This can have a serious impact on people's lives.

Mine arrived yesterday via Royal Mail - they lost January's copy though and had to get KeyPublishing to resend that (which arrived 2 days before the Feb 2022 issue)

4 hours ago, nheather said:

Nothing today, no Jadlam order, the Royal Mail 48 service has now taken 120 hours and still not delivered, that is if Jadlam actually shipped when they said they did, which I doubt.

And no Airfix magazine either.

Cheers,

Nigel

Perhaps we are misunderstanding what RM's 48 hour service actually is? Maybe, in their minds, it's 48 working hours i.e. 6 working days of 8 hours per day. 😒

I'll get my coat. 

11 hours ago, Latinbear said:

We're experiencing service issues with Royal Mail here in east Surrey. When our postman has his days off we don't get any deliveries. I saw a newsfeed article the other day that said there are 90 postal areas across the country where service levels have been affected by lack of staff. Our postie is scathing about his employer and says that unless there is a tracked item to be delivered then any deliveries will be held at the depot until there is staff availability. He attributes the lack of staff to the RM's refusal to recruit more people rather than issues like Covid. 

My postie said when he is off no one is covering his round. Before christmas they were told to make parcels a priority and other mail just sat. Hence why I was still getting cards after the holidays. Thye also did not hire any christmas temps locally.

12 minutes ago, Julien said:

My postie said when he is off no one is covering his round. Before christmas they were told to make parcels a priority and other mail just sat. Hence why I was still getting cards after the holidays. Thye also did not hire any christmas temps locally.

I think that's what's happening based on what I was told earlier today by the RM customer service "help line". We have had no post all week, except for today when we received a small parcel that the wife was expecting. We also have a community facebook page, and I've asked around, and the general consensus is the same - parcels and special delivery items only - NO general mail items at all. Problem is what happens if that mail that is being held contains important documents that would not be flagged as special delivery - DVLA reminders, Hospital appointments, test results etc. It could well have a massive affect on peoples lives and wellbeing! My wife has an ongoing health condition, thankfully she can just call the team at the local hospital that manages her condition to discuss things with them, but there are regular occasions when they will send stuff to her in the post that has an impact on her ongoing care - thankfully, not anything like Cancer, but she still needs regular blood tests and hospital appointments. I dread to think what could happen to someone if stuff like this gets missed is the RM have failed to deliver it on time due to them failing to meet their required targets!

• Sad 3

Strange times indeed.We had a local postie who was really good,then he developed covid and was replaced by some indifferent tossers.Good postie came back on rounds,he would even double shift to cover his round and another.He is taken off our round and put elsewhere.Up until crimbo we had some very strange characters delivering post,who I don't think had any formal education and couldn't assess the address on an envelope.Luckily things have calmed down since crimbo,but mail only gets delivered sporadically.Having said that,I had a parcel delivered last Sunday.

Dave.

Same today - saw the post van driving off from one of the side streets - have had nothing yet delivered, and yet on a Saturday we would normally get our post delivered by about 10am. So I have a feeling we are not going to absolutely squat for the foreseeable future! I have a inkling to go down to the sorting office an request all the post for my address, I'll also suggest to all my neighbours to do the same. I wonder how long it will take the sorting office to resume deliveries to over 1500 properties when they have all the residents pitching up to collect their mail! (currently outstanding at least the Airfix Magazine, IPMS magazine and Hannants order)

Edited by treker_ed

On 1/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, Whofan said:

Picked up Airfix magazine in Sainsbury yesterday.

Our local Tesco has had a revamp, starting six weeks before Christmas, , and has dropped 75% of the magazines it used to carry, including the Airfix magazine, and dropped about the same percentage of books - and it dropped childrens books altogether!

Hmm tesco where i am still stock Airfix and SAM but since there are two airfields nearby one Naval and the other a well known manufacture of aircraft....thats not surprising.

As for books well supermarkets do supermarket things and books are for bookshops ...in my hubble opinion 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Hmm tesco where i am still stock Airfix and SAM but since there are two airfields nearby one Naval and the other a well known manufacture of aircraft....thats not surprising.

As for books well supermarkets do supermarket things and books are for bookshops ...in my hubble opinion 

You’re a lucky man. 

I agree with you about books, but in all honesty when Tesco here sold more books it was convenient to pick up say the latest David Baldacci, or Lee Childs, while Waterstones supplies the latest Mick Herron, or Dominic Sandbrook.

Airfix Magazine and Airfix Catalogue available as separate items in my local Tesco this morning although the catalogue rather oddly (I thought) was a 'Buy Two Get £4 Off' Clubcard Offer , suppose could always give one as a present to partner , family , significant other with highlighted gift suggestions.

Regarding postal problems , ours returned to normal daily deliveries albeit mid-afternoon rather then the long-established lunchtime during December from a previous rather hit and miss service for much of the second half of last year and during the last week or so we have even gone back to morning deliveries which we have not had for a long time.     Whether that means the local posties are now free of Covid or whether the latest wave has yet to hit them remains to be seen.      

There are obviously problems in the system affecting different areas with First and Second Class deliveries from some places arriving here within two to three days while from others deliveries are now stretching to ten/fourteen days.     Hannants which has been mentioned would seem to be on one of the distribution routes badly affected as with two envelope sized decal/etch orders made late last year their normal two/three day delivery slipped to ten days with both and I am sure that they are just as frustrated by this as their customers might be.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, treker_ed said:

Same today - saw the post van driving off from one of the side streets - have had nothing yet delivered, and yet on a Saturday we would normally get our post delivered by about 10am. So I have a feeling we are not going to absolutely squat for the foreseeable future! I have a inkling to go down to the sorting office an request all the post for my address, I'll also suggest to all my neighbours to do the same. I wonder how long it will take the sorting office to resume deliveries to over 1500 properties when they have all the residents pitching up to collect their mail! (currently outstanding at least the Airfix Magazine, IPMS magazine and Hannants order)

I have a feeling that RM have received quite a lot of complaints over the last few days, as they have finally delivered normal mail today! In all my days I have never encountered Royal Mail deliveries (maybe Parcel Force) on a Sunday. I think that just shows how much of a problem there is in the local sorting office in that they are having to do deliveries on a Sunday now! I finally have in my mitts my Airfix magazine, my IPMS magazine, and my Hannants order (which was posted last Monday on a 48 hour tracked service!)  - only took 144 hours instead!

• Like 2