Aoshima Liberty Walk Nissan GT-R

Background:

Normally I'd not be into the Liberty Walk extreme overfender, slammed and stanced look, but my wife had suggested I get this kit as she thought it looked cool. It seemed like a good invitation to try something I'd normally overlook - although I had my reservations if I'd like it based on the box art. It spent a few years in the stash until I got some colour inspiration - Tamiya Candy Lime Green.

Pros:

Mostly easy to assemble and entirely great fitment with good proportions. Cleanly moulded with little cleanup necessary. Choice of left or right hand drive. Original GT-R suspension parts also included. All main Liberty Walk decals are printed in both black and white so you can paint the car whatever colour you wish.

Cons:

No engine, despite Aoshima offering the engine sprue in other versions of their GT-R. Some grinding away of original wheel arches necessary (and detailed in the instructions) which might put off the nervous. Rear diffuser and aero parts don't have much in the way of positive mounting points. Some of the instructions are in an order no experienced modeller would follow. Overfenders on last? I don't think so. Some experience needed to deviate from the instructions to get a better result/easier build.

Verdict:

It's a great kit. Not for beginners, but otherwise very very good.

Build notes:

Because the kit also includes the non-Liberty-Walk suspension parts, I was able to use those instead, making the car's stance look normal. I also swapped the stretched/pulled tyres for some normal ones and painted the black wheels silver. All this greatly improves the look of the car (for my taste) - and I have come to really love the result instead of my fear that it might just look a bit silly. Other additions to the kit are the Hobby Design Photo Etch kit, some seatbelt retainers, the rear number plate and a small amount of carbon fibre decal. I've also intentionally omitted some of the less desirable Liberty Walk decals. Painted in Tamiya TS-52 Candy Lime Green and clearcoated with Tamiya TS-13 Gloss. Quite possibly the best set of photos I've taken of any build. Built over the space of 12 days.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 16

26 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

All this greatly improves the look of the car (for my taste)

For mine too - vast improvement to the thing on the box top! And the colour is stunning and really suits the car - I've got a can of that paint, really must resist the temptation to buy one of the kits to put it on...!!

Really nice job on what you've turned into a great looking car! 

Keith

• Like 1

Very nice build.  The colour looks great.

I have the Zero fighter version to build.  I'll do it with the extreeeeeme camber and all, just cos it looks mad.  Can't imagine it would actually drive very nicely!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've got a can of that paint, really must resist the temptation to buy one of the kits to put it on...!!

But... what else are you going to do with that can Keith? :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, malpaso said:

Can't imagine it would actually drive very nicely!

I suspect that these 'extreme' cars are not daily runners, just for cruising up and down the plaza for show on perfect smooth tarmac! They're probably even trailered there!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 2

Looks really good.  Great colour and so much better on silver rather than black wheels  . Yo can actually see the spokes. 

Daft question I was worried about asking.... who or what is Liberty Walk ? Must have passed me by that one !!

Gary . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Looks really good.  Great colour and so much better on silver rather than black wheels  . Yo can actually see the spokes. 

Daft question I was worried about asking.... who or what is Liberty Walk ? Must have passed me by that one !!

Gary . 

Thanks for the comments on my build. :)

Quoting from their website "Liberty Walk was established by Wataru Kato when he was 26 years old. The business was first operated in a small vehicle lot where they could only exhibit 3 cars. Liberty Walk has evolved throughout its history into one of the biggest names in automotive tuning. Put simply, there is no other brand out there being quite so brave, or seemingly capturing the current tuning zeitgeist as this brand."

"brave" meaning I guess.. having the balls to take a beautifully styled (not to mention expensive) car and grind bits of it off and whack on some giant overfenders and weird stickers (and I'm sure some actual legit tuning and I know for one thing, air suspension), ruining it to many. Personally I don't care for it, but within reason (i.e my own GT-R above) it can be made to look good. It just usually isn't. As below.

spacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Alan R said:

I suspect that these 'extreme' cars are not daily runners, just for cruising up and down the plaza for show on perfect smooth tarmac! They're probably even trailered there!

Cheers,

Alan.

The cars do have air suspension and the Aoshima Liberty Walk Hurracan kit has this adjustable. I presume the real vehicle is the same - everyone displays it on the ground, then pumps it up and drives away. Otherwise you have a £250,000 Ferrari that drives like crap.

3 hours ago, galaxyg said:

spacer.png

I look at this thing and go "naaahh"... and then I look away and look at it again and go "heck yeah!".... it's craziness on wheels 🙂 

4 hours ago, galaxyg said:

"brave" meaning I guess.. having the balls to take a beautifully styled (not to mention expensive) car and grind bits of it off and whack on some giant overfenders and weird stickers (and I'm sure some actual legit tuning and I know for one thing, air suspension), ruining it to many.

Well at work 'brave' is often used when thinking "What was the architect/designer thinking when they drew that?" so I guess I can't really argue with the Liberty Walk cars being of a brave design.

Your build looks a lot less 'brave' to me than the box art car and has come out really well, certainly as has been said a few times above it looks much better than on the box.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Thanks for the comments on my build. :)

Quoting from their website "Liberty Walk was established by Wataru Kato when he was 26 years old. The business was first operated in a small vehicle lot where they could only exhibit 3 cars. Liberty Walk has evolved throughout its history into one of the biggest names in automotive tuning. Put simply, there is no other brand out there being quite so brave, or seemingly capturing the current tuning zeitgeist as this brand."

"brave" meaning I guess.. having the balls to take a beautifully styled (not to mention expensive) car and grind bits of it off and whack on some giant overfenders and weird stickers (and I'm sure some actual legit tuning and I know for one thing, air suspension), ruining it to many. Personally I don't care for it, but within reason (i.e my own GT-R above) it can be made to look good. It just usually isn't. As below.

spacer.png

If only I could build one like this! My GTR was matte mid-green.

• Like 1