Adam's Endless Shelf of Doom

Adam Maas

I've got enough on the SoD that I could probably spend 2022 finishing them and still have one left over, but for now let's start off with the Eduard P-400 I pulled off the shelf about a week ago.

In the last week I've done the following:

1. Sprayed the Dark Green topside
2. Touched up the Dark Earth
3. Fixed the white recognition markings on top and sprayed them on the lower side
4. Painted the radiator grills in the exhaust, then installed the radiator exhaust flaps
5. Touched up the lower side Sky including painting the radiator exhaust flaps
6. Glosscoated
7. Added all the main markings.

I'm currently adding the rather extensive set of stencils that Eduard included on this Weekend Edition kit.

y4medsKNbQ4hIqn5rbrQnbn_uQLiRQuLLKRKeWCl

If you look carefully, you'll see my Growler from the F/A-18 STGB peeking in as the filler dries.

• Like 6

After several days, the stencilling is finally done. Hard to show, but here's the underwing section.

It's not F-4 level stencils, but Bell certainly spent more time with a stencil than most of their competition.

y4m6_NjTobz_pynUftp35dEmQu0S2nMmpLHiXYY3

Oddly, all the primary markings are deliberately faded by Eduard. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Thats some myopia inducing small print for sure.

I've recently added an Optivisor to my tool set.

It's made working with these things MUCH nicer. Plus I can actually read them now, although some require the 3.0x lens

• Like 2

Working on the fiddly bits now.

Instructions say no yellow tips on the prop. Only pics I could find are indeterminate on that, so I'm going to follow the instructions. Also painting those unusual 12-stack exhausts that this P-400 had.

y4mzPqqhiOHG7ftX4AME8s3eGSqurGuWsnFYFQRF

• Like 3

More fiddly bits, this time the legs.

Somehow managed to have the front wheel wander off. Thankfully Eduard provides 4 front wheels, regular and weighted versions of each style. I'll sand a flat spot in the regular one and paint it up.

y4mlDZSPy1hdtdTbupzr2f08ufMkh8HOazBRJr1l

• Like 2

And now standing on its legs.

Just a few fiddly bits left and it'll be done.

y4mMcPhTAxO7-l7B0ztNj1RNGSx2gAMwMW776Waz

Need to paint the antenna, fit it, the wing guns and the exhausts and finish/paint the bomb on the centreline rack. Then a touch more panel line wash and a matte coat and done.

I've got the day off, so good chance I'll finish it today

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 4

Calling the P-400 done

y4mPxSKC8kGDOSaTYFKiJchIQCW4fInS2Jhh0gGo

Next up? Fujimi Mirage IIIR in 1/48 (1/50 really IIRC)

Another failed Mojo build from a couple years ago. First up is dusting, then I'll draw on the camo scheme before painting freehand.

y4mZO5iPxZ_x6VlWPfmQ39cS3Jl_xB9JgFf3b5gb

• Like 5

Did the exhaust, glosscoated and added the very minimal set of decals. Then got it up on its legs.

Gear doors and tanks next, then a matte coat. Then I'll dig out the Micro Krystal Klear and try and add lenses to the Recce nose, the kit just has open holes.

y4m-gDUSEZc-53sb0g-A3ijLERmGTCLfzXQCux33

• Like 6

Once everything sorted, I'm addressing the biggest failing of this kit, the lack of any inserts for the camera ports in the nose

Micro Krystal Klear here I come

y4mkeEXqh0ROVSSUSxcBYeHuMKDXOkNn513GLgnU

And the end result

y4m--8oDM9h3FNrXN-QQp1tPAq0hobGjoIWGKvLD

Calling this one done

y4mGNSatIhyoJ8ZIuQDX88EKgQQ1QZeg8vyOQ2xZ

On to the next one,

The Academy 1/48 F-4J is up next. Started this one a while back and got the main fuselage assembled and started on the cockpit

y4mxz1PEmYIKN24j2NzWkD0OackAXpe5XNPuLR1f

So need to detail paint the cockpit bits

y4mOTnbWMZFOvdTt85naD2HD2kuY9KIH3L9me7y7

y4mUqE9REu0H3w9J5uEOaCGgfzSobddgEn1VENhH

y4mrSyWEtczUza3s9c8ZqQZnRqz8UeNt3FTepmua

• Like 5

Good work clearing these various projects for the Shame shelf and into your display cabinet Adam :thumbsup:

On 1/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Adam Maas said:

If you look carefully, you'll see my Growler...

I've heard worse chat-up lines :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

Might take a little diversion on this one. My AV-8A sheet came in quicker than expected and I can polish off the Monogram kit that's been on the shelf for a while due to decal issues.

Always like to see a Harrier model getting attention :thumbsup:

Hopefully those work out for you.  I think the Furball sheets are supposed to be pretty decent.  I've got a couple sheets of theirs, though I've not used them yet.  Nice seeing an early Harrier.

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Hopefully those work out for you.  I think the Furball sheets are supposed to be pretty decent.  I've got a couple sheets of theirs, though I've not used them yet.  Nice seeing an early Harrier.

Good stuff Ive used some of their Marine F-4 stuff and the decals worked great. 

9 hours ago, helios16v said:

Can't be worse than what was in the box 😉

The decal sheet was pretty done, wouldn't even stick. These Furball decals look sweet. 

I actually have at least one more of the Monogram Harriers in the stash. Was given a partially built one a couple years ago and might have a sealed one too. So this sheet will get used up.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 3

Paintwork needed was minimal, but I started by shooting the camo scheme over the brown antenna caps, all freehand.

y4m3QROoEqFsjOTKR5sBERl4-0VNoRMvo8NHTR-VTouched

Touched up the green as well, including on righthand intake where decal failure had caused paint damage. Then I carefully sanded & scraped off the one remaining Monogram decal on the upper wing and started fixing the paint.

y4mwG2SCvp-ilFOPtM5wX69auygev99qd_r7sGUg

That still looks ugly, so I think I'll try a partial strip and repaint the wing again.

• Like 1