Another Ma.k Sternail. The Ausf F

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

First off, the brown drop tank half

Man learns throughout his life. I have never dealt with airplanes but I have a lot of similar items that I bought at the auction. I was convinced it was some kind of bomb 😝

• Like 2

I've been adding more stuff this weekend. Are we sitting comfortably?

n4uza8D.jpg

The nose is to your right. This shows the Kamov radar bubble, a 1/72 flare pack, an access panel (from a kids craft set) and a gearbox?

RLK6U2K.jpg

I think the grey part is an underside plate from a car kit. Couple of other bits here but not sure of their origin.

KFbALaQ.jpg

That hole on the right is where the stand fits. On the left is a bit of 1/24th Merlin engine. 

h2zlC7d.jpg

Yep, It's the top of a steam engine.

D8HzYcc.jpg

And this is the side of a steam engine tender. Well there was this big blank spot. I had to fill it with something. Can you see the rivets?

d1LsLAU.jpg

A few greeblies by the cupola. That's half round lead wire from the big H.

QbjzWyY.jpg

On each side we have part of an Airfix Ju88 fuselage coupled with a bit of Heinkel He219.

I cut out & reversed the wing attachment slots. Cut down stub wings too, but I've found it makes the side pods stick out too much.

So I've had a rethink and have a new way to mount the side pods. More later on that.

The Ju88 kit was from a nice guy called Steve who's somewhere near Saddleworth. Can't remember his BM name though.

there's also a well braced Legoish brick. It will be the mount for the LH upper solar sail.

NSiX2uC.jpg

Here in front of the cupola we have a section of Matchbox Wessex. And a round tank bit.

JF5wu3K.jpg

On top of the nose, a sensor. The grey bit was a radial exhaust cowling. The other bit was a magnetic doodah.

aVJh9rt.jpg

Did somebody say engines? In the middle, a section of 1/24th Radial. And a Formula 1 wheel.

The smaller ones are loco wheels and 1/24th car wheel bits. Assorted greeblies add some interest. As will paint.

There's filler to rub down, more detail/greeblies and side pods to add + fun to be had.

But I'm in work at 06:00 tomorrow, (The Norfolk and Suffolk run) so... :sad: Although, early coffee at Long Sutton :coffee:

Comments welcome. Have a great week. Pete

• Like 12

21 hours ago, NIK122 said:

Where do you source all of the donor kits Pete?

I've been building and saving odd bits for decades. I also pick up/find interesting looking non kit bits here and there.

The local car boot sale sometimes yields cheap kits. E bay spares/repairs section. Or spares I buy on here.

And sometimes fellow BM members kindly donate their collected spare kit parts rather than bin them.

Maschinen kreiger kits are available, (Very expensive nowadays!) in fact I do have some, but I find it more fun to create my own.

The original kreiger models were kitbashed by Kow Yokoyama from bits and filler anyway.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Maschinen kreiger kits are available, (Very expensive nowadays!) in fact I do have some, but I find it more fun to create my own.

I have a similar philosophy. Plus, IMO the kit models are terribly predictable. Even before you take them out of the box, you know what they will look like when they are finished.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've been building and saving odd bits for decades. I also pick up/find interesting looking non kit bits here and there.

The local car boot sale sometimes yields cheap kits. E bay spares/repairs section. Or spares I buy on here.

And sometimes fellow BM members kindly donate their collected spare kit parts rather than bin them.

The original kreiger models were kitbashed by Kow Yokoyama from bits and filler anyway.

Thanks for the info. I agree about Ma.K kit prices! Jeez! It's only been about four years since I last bought a Wave kit and they have trebbled in price since. That being said after posting my 1/76 Nutwrecker and musing about building a 1/35 version, I have decided to go for it and picked up a Hasegawa 1/35 scale Nutcracker for €42 from Plaza Japan. Considering Ebay prices this is a steal. Granted there was €15 postage to add but it's still cheap. Stay posted. It's a build for this year

• Like 3

I got about four hours at the bench today. I did some more filler refinements and added yet more small details.

Here are some more update pictures.

QiRxK9V.jpg

I've added manoeuvring jets to the nose. One each side and top and bottom. They should be/were car electrical bits.

k25vzcd.jpg

And rivets. just three here. They were dress making pins. Cut down and superglued into pre-drilled holes.

At the bottom is what was a Tornado shoulder pylon.

xyutqGw.jpg

The red disc. It was a button. add two small pieces of tube and it's another manoeuvring jet for docking.

On the extreme right is another forward facing jet for slowing down etc.

WkiVgGM.jpg

More rivets. Just added to put a bit of interest into a flat panel. That's Tamiya tape over the wing joint.

I'm looking at a coat of white primer very soon. Why white? I have a cunning plan...

GdtdsJu.jpg

And the hatch (spoon) is in place. A bit of filler either side to be rubbed down yet.

And that's it for now. Family stuff tomorrow, so probably no modelling. Tut!

• Like 13

I certainly was enjoying myself. The oil filled radiator next to me, of course.

And, after dinner, (and the washing up) I couldn't wait any longer and nipped out to the garage.

The whole model now has a lovely coat of white primer. I'll sort the filler on the hatch tomorrow, I hope.

• Like 2

The white primer showed up some (more than a few) faults. The rectification of which required various fillers this afternoon.

This was after the model had spent the week inside the house in order that the paint dried properly. It being rather chilly in the manshed.

I also sprayed the sponsons in white primer. I'll see tomorrow how that went regarding the need for filler.

I've also had ideas about the solar panels. I've marked up some unwanted large scale wings for the rear of the panels, so adding rivets etc.

The fronts will probably be plastic card with added details. We shall see. Hopefully, tomorrow some pictures will make things clearer.

Thanks for dropping by, Pete

• Like 2

And Lo! As promised, Pictures.

uOlab6a.jpg

After four or five hours we have this result. They're still rather basic and still need fine tuning and greeblies.

pI4MiVT.jpg

And in close up. Black and white plastic card. The grey bits are rocket tubes, and just white tube at the bottom.

yeYEE4g.jpg

The lower ones are 1/32nd P-38 wing sections at the rear. They are from a built and painted scrap kit I bought on the bay.

You may just make out panels and rivets under the silver paint. The engines and booms etc went on to be used in a previous Ma.k Falke scratchbuild.

Plus there are the grey rocket tube bits. The white tubes just slot into legoalike blocks.

4bydn21.jpg

The upper rear sides are sections of 1/48th Marauder wing and are a bit longer than the lower ones. 

I scribed extra panel lines into the surfaces. As I said, Greeblies will be added to the rear faces presently.

And that's all folks for another week. Hopefully more stuff next weekend. Damn this Monday to Friday work thing!

Many thanks for looking, please keep the comments coming, I'm happy to answer questions. (But not on sport).

Have a good week, Pete.

• Like 13

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've no idea what I've been liking here but it's irresistibly likable Pete.

Sorry, Quick explanation. 

800 years in the future there are battles over the control of Earth. These take place on land sea, in the air and in space.

What you see here is a Lunar orbit based hunter killer ship. 

The only commercial kit is quite small. Scratchbuilding a variant of the Japanese original is about all you can do for a decent sized model.

There are probably less than twenty odd such scratchbuilt models on the planet.

Thanks for the nice comments, Chaps.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sorry, Quick explanation. 

800 years in the future there are battles over the control of Earth.

That is an explanation and it was indeed quick.

Battles, earth, control. Gotcha. :thumbsup2:

• Haha 1

This afternoon I are been mostly, Greeblin'

Igdx6hg.jpg

The rear of the solar panels. I ran some plastic rod up the centre of the panels to start with. The six inch ruler shows the size of them.

Then had a good rummage round in the 1/72nd tank spares boxes. You can see the results of the search here.

IZAKtth.jpg

Jerry cans are as common as muck in Sci fi scratchbuild land. I've not used any for a while and wanted some small boxy shapes. Et Voila!

Obviously tank wheels and other bits. I may add more bits of wire in the future.

y3hL1hV.jpg

I simply wound a bit of wire around  the rods for the springy bits.

All this took about three hours in the (for once) almost warm mancave. Weird weather, but I'm not complaining.

As always, say wot you gotta say, at the sound of the beep. Beeep....

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Obviously tank wheels

You found a cool use for it. Wheels and tracks are the parts that I have the most in the spare parts box and the most difficult for me to integrate into models.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 4:53 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The Ju88 kit was from a nice guy called Steve who's somewhere near Saddleworth. Can't remember his BM name though.

Aha! He posted on here today. it was @BIG X

• Thanks 1