Usual problems with painting white?

wavodavo

Hello,

I'm in the process of painting white panels on my models and seem to be still having the same problems that other modellers have had in the past. Still getting to grips with my airbrush but was getting there and was definitely going to be easier spraying white.

So, the main paint on the model is aluminium and had been primered beforehand. Then to help with the white, I gave a coat of white primer on the panels. I used Hataka white paint but had to build up layers but still looked more like grey. Paint had definitely dried between coats as I had left the coats to dry for at least 3-4 days and even a week. 

I went and tried another paint that I had seen others had use which was of the Vallejo Premium Acrylic range as it have a good coverage and was also pre-thinned. I literally gave one or two sweeps across with the airbrush at 20 psi and was white in no time. But after it was dried, I removed the masking tape only to find that the white paint was peeling off with it like as if it was a liquid mask. Even one side where I was removing the masking tape, took the white paint and ALL the other layers beneath it right down to the bare resin!

I had always wanted to use Halfords Appliance white for all my applications of white paint but when I decanted it, the paint was drying to quick in the airbrush and clogging it up even with a retarder or flow improver, then having to strip the airbrush down completely to clean it out. The paint as well when they were decanted into my Tamiya jars, just keeps evaporating, even with a tight lid.

Another thing I find with when I have used the Appliance white, is when if I am using any other paints on top of it e.g black dielectric covers etc, it just rubs off - any suggestions on this?

Dave

51809447562_3a1129b35c_c.jpgIMG_2082 by ravodavo, on Flickr

51811133305_96acc4db38_c.jpgIMG_2083 by ravodavo, on Flickr

51810401301_077171737a_c.jpgIMG_2084 by ravodavo, on Flickr