New 1/24 Spitfire IXC Super kit From Airfix

Whitewolf

Airfix have announced a new 1/24 Spitfire IXC super kit available to pre-order at £94.99. From the promotional pics it looks nice but appears to lack  spoked wheels and Airfix have done a Tamiya by failing to drill out the holes in the frame on which the seat is mounted etc. The 4 options in the kit don't appear to include the aircraft on the box lid?

Just had the e-mail too.  Looks good but not sure I really need a 1/24 Spitfire (particularly as I haven’t built the 1/24 Mossie I bought years ago). Still I did build the original Airfix 1/24 Spitfire with my dad many, many years ago, so maybe that’s a good excuse. 😇

Just think of all the aftermarket stuff that will become available,  The decals alone !!!   :analintruder:

SWMBO has given me permission to buy one.

What's the betting there will be a Mk. 8 at some point.

Dick

• Like 2

Now we just need to be patient.

Next year a new 1/24 Hurricane followed by a 1/24 Lancaster and then a 1/24 Dakota. Then we'll have a fine tribute to the BBMF.

Well, a man can dream, can't he????

I think I need the screens now please Nurse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Airfix have announced a new 1/24 Spitfire IXC super kit available to pre-order at £94.99. From the promotional pics it looks nice but appears to lack  spoked wheels and Airfix have done a Tamiya by failing to drill out the holes in the frame on which the seat is mounted etc. The 4 options in the kit don't appear to include the aircraft on the box lid?

The aircraft pictured on the box art is the top one shown in the markings options.

• Like 1

I realise we're going off 3D printed testshots but... 

2 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

appears to lack  spoked wheels

y4mykO3oOJK7INGWjOkvfMsQj8wFFRmXXdTccery

Looks like spokes to me, 5 of them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

It does there, a pic i saw didn't show any spokes, probably a basic test shot.

39 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Thought the 9 was a 4 spoke wheel.

Dick

Re wheels:: just one of the lesser details that varied over the length of Mk.IX production - a glance at the number of options provided in the 1/72 Eduard kit for bulkheads (frames), u/c legs, etc) will give a hint.  It will be interesting to see how Airfix approach these variations - with the enthusiastic support of the aftermarket people, I'm sure - linked to the examples of markings provided.

It looks like a very nice kit for 1/24 modellers but not for me.  Which is fine - the more effort put into these giants the fewer tempting 1/72 kits to over-inflate my stash.

• Like 1

What is provided in the box - at least judging from the sprue shots floating around already from the Duxford event - is multiple spoke variants,  the original & larger Aerovee carb intake, early and extended horn balance tailplanes, and the pointed rudder. 

The tailwheel assembly is separate from the fuselage - which suggests a modular enough approach other variants may be looked at in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Airfix have done a Tamiya by failing to drill out the holes in the frame on which the seat is mounted

I'm prepared to do a lot of dirty and dangerous jobs in this hobby to correct manufacturers' careless and spiteful errors, but I, too, draw the line at 'drilling holes'. What do these shameless model manufacturers think we are? Demeaning ourselves by drilling holes in plastic! I expect they even want us to pay money for this crap 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Oh no! It's Fatally Flawed! I wanted 3 & 4 spoke wheels, an 'E' wing and a pointed rudder. Bah! Mind you, I'll still buy at least one. I get the feeling from the pics that it's not as slick as Tamiyas, despite the larger scale, but still, we are kit builders not kit assemblers (aren't we?)

A low back XVI looks feasable maybe. C'mon, if it's a "Down To A Price And Not Up To A Quality" kind of kit, ( like the early Revell 1/32's were) we won't have to pay Border Models prices.  The aftermarket guys will take up the slack I'm sure and we can cross-kit with the early Mk. I and V to our hearts content. Well done Airfix! for taking me up on my suggestion to do a IX a few years back, before the Hellcat was announced. A complimentary kit would be nice...  

6 minutes ago, Ossington said:

we are kit builders not kit assemblers

Seen this statement several times, but don't know what it means. Is it a way to label modellers who don't do certain things?

Meh.. If you prefer to go hog-wild on the paint& weathering and want a trouble-free and easy build, that's fine. 
Fanbois discarding every other manufacturer is just as stupid as the whole modeller <> assembler nonsense. 

• Thanks 1