Skyraider AEW.1

Yet another display of your sublime brush painting skills fantastic work Chris another beautiful creation for your collection 👏 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Lovely work on that British Spad! I have to say the Skyraider looks good with the British roundels, but then I've found most American aircraft look good with British markings. I have this kit myself, one which I'm building as an Operation Musketeer aircraft (Suez), and the other I'm going to do as an American Korean War aircraft. I'm glad to hear the kit goes together well. I've always thought it a bit odd that the British had this superb carrier-borne attack aircraft, but instead of using it for its normal purpose (instead of the problematic Wyvern), they used it just for AEW work. Well, I suppose Westland needed the work!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

Chris,

You've turned out a real cracker there, superb model!

Mark.

Thanks Mark very kind of you, it's a cracking kit.

45 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yessir- the AEW wasn't the prettiest Spad, but you have a beautiful model  there, Chris! 

Mike

Thanks Mike very kind fella, there's a look about them with those large Radomes , all looked unusual, Avenger, Gannets, but they do certainly make great subjects to model.

46 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Yet another display of your sublime brush painting skills fantastic work Chris another beautiful creation for your collection 👏 🙂👍

Thanks Andy, very pleased with the way it turned out and pleased I don't have to build a Messerschmitt, phew!!!

47 minutes ago, mick b said:

Superb Chris, you’ve done the beast justice.

Mike

Thanks  Mike, very kind of you.  I am very pleased with it .

17 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Lovely work on that British Spad! I have to say the Skyraider looks good with the British roundels, but then I've found most American aircraft look good with British markings. I have this kit myself, one which I'm building as an Operation Musketeer aircraft (Suez), and the other I'm going to do as an American Korean War aircraft. I'm glad to hear the kit goes together well. I've always thought it a bit odd that the British had this superb carrier-borne attack aircraft, but instead of using it for its normal purpose (instead of the problematic Wyvern), they used it just for AEW work. Well, I suppose Westland needed the work!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, you certainly will enjoy the kits the instructions do give you the wrong wing to mount the Pitot on , just a small heads up there.  I am doing a Lightning 1 (P322) and have a P39 to do with Roundels too.  The Lightning is almost ready for paint.  

Thanks guys for your generous comments 

Chris

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bill Bunting said:

Very nice!   I have that kit in the stash, it will be Canadian, however I will refer to your WIP for hints.  Thanks for sharing!

I didn't realise the Canadians used the Skyraider AEW.1 also. That will be a beauty, for sure!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb work Chris, lovely detail and finish, including the subtle exhaust staining.  Beautiful result!

Thanks James,  that's very kind, glad you like it and thank you so much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Bill Bunting said:

Very nice!   I have that kit in the stash, it will be Canadian, however I will refer to your WIP for hints.  Thanks for sharing!

Not seen a Canadian one during my searches, don't forget they tell you to put the Pitot on the wrong wing. Looking forward to seeing a Canadian one too. Thanks for your kind comments,  there is another build on here too By Slywolf and that's very worthy of a visit too.

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I didn't realise the Canadians used the Skyraider AEW.1 also. That will be a beauty, for sure!

Best Regards,

Jason

Oooooo yes really looking forward to seeing that too.  I meant to mention the Pitot in my reply earlier too, that's really one of the very few criticisms of the kit really they instruct the wrong wing. Otherwise the kit is great and can recommend. 

Thanks guys for the kind comments 

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Not seen a Canadian one during my searches, don't forget they tell you to put the Pitot on the wrong wing. Looking forward to seeing a Canadian one too. . 

Thanks guys for the kind comments 

Chris

I'm such an IDIOT!  I have an Avenger/Tarpon on the shelf.  They did serve in the RCN.  No Skyraiders.  Now to hang my head in shame..  .😔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Very nice indeed! 

Thank you very much Lord Riot.

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Chris you've produced another absolute cracker.

She certainly looks gorgeous with roundels on.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair , looks great with the Roundels,  very kind fella and thanks for your support and encouragement,  I do appreciate it.

55 minutes ago, Bill Bunting said:

I'm such an IDIOT!  I have an Avenger/Tarpon on the shelf.  They did serve in the RCN.  No Skyraiders.  Now to hang my head in shame..  .😔

Bill don't worry fella, happens to us all, I have made some great fauxpas myself,  the Avenger will look splendid.  

44 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Lovely work 

Thanks RMCS

34 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Came out a real treat Chris. Still can't quite get over the tremendous finish you obtain from brush painting!

Terry

Thanks Terry, very kind of you to say, I am really chuffed with this one.  Thanks for your support and encouragement too fella.

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

that's a cracking build Chris,love the Skyraider especially these AEW versions.

Thanks Steve, they are impressive Aircraft.  The kit is really nice and goes together well.

Thanks guys for your comments

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another glorious model off your bench Chris, and I'm still astounded you can get paintjobs like that with a brush!!

Stunning modelling again!

Keith

Thanks Keith,  really kind of you fella, you will definitely enjoy this one. Very pleased with the way it turned out.

23 minutes ago, djos said:

Very sharp build, looking great

regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje,  very kind.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Learstang said:

Best Regards,

Jason

I agree, Westland should have built the Spad under licence, maybe they could have called it the Westland Wyoming .

Wulfman

• Like 2