The 20th Century Middle-Eastern Crusader in 1:72

Based on the Christie layout (like the Russian BT and T-34), the Nuffield-designed (yes, the one of the Morris Minor fame) A15 Crusader was one of four British WW2 tanks manufactured in a series of over 5,000 vehicles (the other trio were Valentine, Churchill and Cromwell). Although slower than the BT (and even the boxy US M3 Stuart), it was the best British cruiser tank until Cromwell came out. Also for the Polish armoured forces in Britain it was the most numerous (almost 400) British tank, second only to the American M4 Sherman.

50731370961_7a66a2b4a3_o_d.jpg

So it is not surprising (at least for me) that the Polish IBG set is considered to be the best Braille-scale Crusader on the market. The one I built is the Mk.II boxing (72067) released in 2020. Unfortunately the painting schemes provided are boring "plain Jane” vehicles (either Light Stone or Olive Green), so I had to dig deeper to find something with my favourite Charcoal over Light Stone camouflage. And finally I ran into the T45127 of A Squadron, 9th Queen's Royal Lancers, 1st Armoured Division that fought near Benghazi (Libya) in November 1942.

50731370711_10c75e2797_o_d.jpg

Of the 5,800 Crusaders built (including 350 OPs, 500 AAs and 600 gun tractors), the most popular variant (2,400+) was the Mk.II. Crewed by 4 men, it was powered by a WW1 vintage 340hp Liberty V12 engine. Armed with a 40 mm gun and a 7.9 mm Besa MG, this variant weighed about 20 tons.

50730638883_4351661024_o_d.jpg

In the large box there are only 62 crisply moulded styrene pieces and two PE frets, containing no less than 23 details, among which there are whole side skirt assemblies. I really don't understand why the IBG guys decided to make the Crusader side skirts as PE details while all the other manufacturers are happy with the injected styrene. Honestly, I don't like the PE details, whether it's a 0.2mm dia headlight guard or an 80mm long side skirt which needs to be made of six PE pieces and then folded into eight or nine (it really doesn't matter) angled surfaces. Nevertheless, alea iacta est and I had to face this enemy. After two long winter evenings of this deadly fight, the skirts looked acceptable - at least to me. However - if I ever have to build another 1:72 Crusader Mk.II - I will pay attention to the Chinese S-Model quickbuild kit.

50730639203_2bec66d84d_o_d.jpg

Then came the painting session - you won't believe it, but the Crusader in my photos was painted with Humbrol 169 Yellow Facing as BS.61 Light Stone and Humbrol 189 Insignia Blue as SCC.14 Charcoal. The Humbrol 20 Crimson is barely readable in the lower half of the nearside headlamp.

And finally the decals came out. The WD serial number is (almost) OOB – using digits from T15779 and T45128, blue triangle is from Dragon Churchill, fender emblems (1st AD rhino on the nearsides and white 67 on red square offsides) from Mirage Grant, blue “2” in the triangle centre from Mirage Stuart and 31” RAF A2 roundel from Techmod Hurricane set.

50730639378_565029e8a7_o_d.jpg

Both antennas are made of 0.3 mm Aber steel wire. They appear thick in the photo, but remember that the image on the 15” screen is about 200-250 percent the size of an actual 1/72 model. Finally, Vallejo's matt acrylic varnish was applied with a brush.

The photos are taken with an LG smartphone. More photos can be found in the WIP thread within the 2020 "WW2 MTO Part 3" GB

Comments are welcome

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
a misprint found
  • Like 15