Royal Yugoslav AF Messerschmitt 109, Special Hobby 1/72

The first one for 2022, a "royal Emil". I used some PE details in the cockpit plus SH resin wheels and exhausts. The paints are AK Real for the RLM 65 pale blue and Gunze for the PLM 70 black green. Decals are by Lift Here. I shortened the UC legs by 1 mm (0,04 inch) which was the only modification of the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Marcel said:

The first one for 2022, a "royal Emil". I used some PE details in the cockpit plus SH resin wheels and exhausts. The paints are AK Real for the RLM 65 pale blue and Gunze for the PLM 70 black green. Decals are by Lift Here. I shortened the UC legs by 1 mm (0,04 inch) which was the only modification of the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like it

Alain

• Like 1

Can not be done better!

And I'm not non-objective this time even though I have a reason to be as you finished model in markings from the history of my country air force.:)

Again, great looking Messerschmitt.

Best regards, Djordje

59 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

Hello Marcel,

congratulations to your first model in 2022. It is really nice and I intend to build Yugoslav Emil too. 

BTW. The forgotten triangle mask on port side 😉 

Oops, removed! Thank you David.

A fantastic build ! What I am about to write may upset you, but it is not meant to.

I know that in every book, especially the new ones like "The Yugoslav story", the overall color RLM-70 is given as a undeniable fact.

The thing is, there is still an ex. Yugo Bf-109e in the original colors, an airframe that still has the original Yugo L-61 code and stencils (the "no walk" line on the wings is black not red as always proposed).

Mr. Heli Schmidt @Hangar 10 (who has the L-61 wreck)  has checked the colors and the overall green was assessed as RLM71 .

Here is a walkaround of the machine :

https://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/index.php/flugwerft-hauptraum/jaeger/messerschmitt-bf-109/e-3a-l-61

Probably the L-7 had the lip in the oil cooler (like all the other early exported Es), and I think the VDM triangle stencils (if any were present- I have only seen the bottom bar stencil without he triangle on the Yugo machines) should be reversed .

The color of the compressor air intake is probably blue, like in most of the cases seen in color photos and films of the era.

Very interesting topic about colour. Since I have build a Swiss 109 also in RLM70 , the topic about use RLM70 or 71 on export Me-109 E is still uncertain to me. Actually I prefer following theory which is mentioned in the MMP book Bulgarian Fighter Colours which says that for export purposes the original RLM colours were adapted due to keep "know how", therefore they had a little bit different tint and wheatering behaviour. 

IMHO, on the pictures of L-61 wreckage, considering some fading etc. I don´t see RLM 70 even RLM71 as is known for us. I would say, It is something between. But it is only my opinion. Hard to judge. 🙄

BTW. As Me-109 is marked E3a, does it means, it had the same (as Swiss) or different armament as original E3 ? 

5 hours ago, Marcel said:

Oops, removed! Thank you David.

Recently I had the same point on my 109 too 😁

Edited by David Koktavý

13 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

Very interesting topic about colour. Since I have build a Swiss 109 also in RLM70 , the topic about use RLM70 or 71 on export Me-109 E is still uncertain to me. Actually I prefer following theory which is mentioned in the MMP book Bulgarian Fighter Colours which says that for export purposes the original RLM colours were adapted due to keep "know how", therefore they had a little bit different tint and wheatering behaviour. 

IMHO, on the pictures of L-61 wreckage, considering some fading etc. I don´t see RLM 70 even RLM71 as is known for us. I would say, It is something between. But it is only my opinion. Hard to judge. 🙄

BTW. As Me-109 is marked E3a, does it means, it had the same (as Swiss) or different armament as original E3 ? 

Recently I had the same point on my 109 too 😁

The color could actually be a different, export color.  What Mr. Heli Schmidt said was that the RLM71 is the closest match, rather than 70. He and his team had access to many parts, some probably better preserved.

I have no reason not to trust him, in any case I trust him more than I would trust a guy that wrote something else in a book, without even knowing that a wreck existed and could be analyzed. 

About the armament, from what I have read on the subject, Yugo ordered the 109Es without the cannons, that were ordered separately from the Swiss. Most of them were diverted to the locally built IK airplanes so many 109E ended up without cannons.

When installed, they would had looked more like the Oerlikon (slim barrel, flared at the muzzle), not MGFF (thick barrel- conical muzzle). For my 1/72 , I use the turned brass barrels from Master - Japanese Mk99 AM-72-017 for any Oerlikon armed 109e (some Romanian, Bulgarian, Swiss, Yugo)  and the 109 E/T set for all the MGFF armed ones (AM-72-009).

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Well we live to learn 😀 but I am not going to repaint it. Maybe a reason to build one more in the future.

Man, it looks so good that any "repair" or repaint is not necessary.

I made several Romanian 109Es; some in 70, some in 71, some in AK paints, some in Hataka or Gunze (very different shades- a brand's RLM71  would sometimes look like another's 70).

I figured as long as the paint is a dark green and not pink, I can live with it :) 

Edited by bad edd
  • Like 1