Matchbox PK-601 Supermarine Stranraer - 11 months in the making it's finally done!

Wow, you are all way, way too kind, stop it now. I'm not used to being praised, I don't know how to deal with it!   😳  🥰  😆

If there were enough hours in the day, I'd build this again in a heartbeat, one of Matchboxes finest kits. Apart from a few niggles getting the top wing on the kit really has very few vices, a joy to build. Yes Matchbox as a rule are quite basic, but that leaves the door wide open for modellers to have a bit of fun adding extra details. This build has been a great excersise in learning a lot of new skills. I'd love to tackle the Silver Wings Supermarine Southampton now, they would look great together!

And while I take a breather inbetween kits, I'm loving the Matchbox Group Build. Not something I've taken part in before, but seeing so many 'blasts from the past' being submitted is a great trip down memory lane. If I was better prepared, I'd be tempted to join in. With my interest in flying boats and float planes the Dornier Do18 and Heinkel He115 would be worthy candidates. Or the 1/32 Tiger Moth? On floats of course!

One thing I have forgotten to add to the Stranraer - steps to the cargo door. I'm going to scratch a pair out of plastic card.

• Like 3

Dayam- that's a beautiful model! The Stranraer was such an elegant flying boat, and you have done an incredible job with yours- perfect scheme, too! The MB biplane kits had their faults, but they all seem to turn out so well with some skill and TLC, which you obviously have. Wish they had done a lot more subjects, as I think their biplanes were by far their best kits! You should be very proud if this one; I keep coming back to look at your RFI photos!  :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, Quiet Mike said:

One thing I have forgotten to add to the Stranraer - steps to the cargo door. I'm going to scratch a pair out of plastic card.

Ta da!

51822338339_32de5fb6ee.jpg

Entrance ladder for the Stranraer by Mike, on Flickr

On 1/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, 72modeler said:

I keep coming back to look at your RFI photos!  :worthy:

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's an appreciated confidence boost. I just make notes on the RFIs I like on here, there are so many really good photographers posting   👍   I do my best to immitate them with my knackered old Canon 450D and a 50mm prime lens. I do have an interest in photography anyway, but good RFI shoots are much trickier than they look. I don't have room for a studio set up, which would be ideal. I just take a roll of wallpaper lining paper outside and set up on our garden bench.  My main bugbear is getting really clear and sharp photos. Also knowing when to use depth of field, and more importantly when not to. Getting an 'eye level' view is always worthwhile. And surprisingly my (in)experience as an editor years ago comes in handy, and being ruthless with the photos you end up showing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And still the fanfares sound bright - I just went through your WIP, and what a beautiful story it is. And the result is, well, just astonishing. I once did the old PK 401 He115 in a groupbuild (as you see in my current profile pic), but by no means reached your level. It was an experience, though, and certainly thought me some lessons about what can be done with a sharp edge, a pointy wheel, some styrene and a certain amountof madness. These old Matchbox kits are a great canvas of interesting topics and are just great to start from. 

So, if you don't mind I rather take this as a role modell or maybe an instruction how to work on the old Matchbox modell, which naturally I have in my stash (along with the wonderful Do 18) and I hear them call louder and louder for a build each day. 

Many thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1

Beautiful work, and thanks for adding the story behind it.

My only issue (and it's personal taste) would be the "overdone" panel lines, and if you do them don't forget to carry them through the markings too!

Ian

17 hours ago, Brandy said:

Beautiful work, and thanks for adding the story behind it.

My only issue (and it's personal taste) would be the "overdone" panel lines, and if you do them don't forget to carry them through the markings too!

100% Ian! I'm too slow a builder to experiment on a 'mule', so experimented on the kit itself, and with Matchboxes already famously heavy panel lines I carried on where they left off! It's all a learning experience for me, hopefully next time will be more refined.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:02 AM, Chief Cohiba said:

And still the fanfares sound bright - I just went through your WIP, and what a beautiful story it is. And the result is, well, just astonishing. I once did the old PK 401 He115 in a groupbuild (as you see in my current profile pic), but by no means reached your level. It was an experience, though, and certainly thought me some lessons about what can be done with a sharp edge, a pointy wheel, some styrene and a certain amount of madness. These old Matchbox kits are a great canvas of interesting topics and are just great to start from. 

So, if you don't mind I rather take this as a role model or maybe an instruction how to work on the old Matchbox model, which naturally I have in my stash (along with the wonderful Do 18) and I hear them call louder and louder for a build each day. 

Many thanks for the inspiration!

Many thanks CC. Well, I'm a good example of what can be achieved with a bucket of patience, rather than skill! I haven't submitted a yearbook for 2021 as I didn't complete either of the TWO builds I worked on 😳   Life with a 60 year old campervan has taught me, it's about the journey, not the destination ... 😂

I keep looking at Do18 and He115's on ebay ... I definitely need to add to the Matchbox flying boat (and float plane) stable (dock). (I made them both in the 80's)

On 2/7/2022 at 11:35 PM, The Spadgent said:

Gordon Bennett. She’s amazing. Totally gobsmacked. The paintwork is just spot on . Bravo. 👏👏👏

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. I'm still struggling to get as good a result as you with those Flory washes, you make it look very easy!

On 2/8/2022 at 12:27 AM, cngaero said:

That's a superb Stranraer. 

On 2/8/2022 at 6:48 AM, Andy Dyck said:

It turns out perfect! I can’t believe my eyes when I saw your WIP. Fantastic work! 

Andy 

It's still a beautiful kit to build, even 40 years on. One of Matchboxes finest.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, Vulcanicity said:

Absolutely amazing result Mike, having slogged through this kit I am in awe!

Thanks for your help and guidance along the way Phil, very much appreciated! I was trying a few techniques for the first time on this and it was invaluable having your thread there 'holding my hand' as it were. Britmodeller is a great resource for this, I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to tackle it otherwise.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Nice looking model - the rigging is very impressive.

Colin

I really enjoyed the rigging. Lucky really, as I'm on the bottom rung of the ladder on this learning curve, and a long way to go! (Hopefully up, not down!)

And I assume you've all seen @MarkSH build thread on the group build page? If not head over and give it a follow, it's taking the venerable old Stranraer to a whole new level 👏

• Like 1