PK-901 Flower Class Corvette

As I'm using the GLS Oerlikon Set, I had to remove the locating bosses for the original cannon.

51946434772_25e83fa888_z.jpg

And then it was time for paint....

51948021805_6a2003699a_z.jpg

2 cans of Halfords white primer later (and I still need more)

51947487728_e39836b08b_z.jpg

I then sprayed the wooden deck areas with Tamiya Deck Tan.

51948021975_6e5dccf010_z.jpg

I'm using Sovereign enamels and have already laid a coat down on some items, impressed already!

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 9

Painting continues

Sprayed the hull in Sovereign "Colourcoats" White enamel, using their own thinner in it and it sprays really rather well.

Next was to work up the timber decks a bit further, as mentioned previously these sections were sprayed in Tamiya Deck Tan, once this had dried I applied a coat of Johnson's to seal it.

Next up was a thin wash of Citadel "Seraphim Sepia" to hopefully highlight the planks and then another coat of wax.

The timber decking was then masked off and all the joints sealed with more wax to stop bleed through.

Then it was a case of spraying the appropriate Colourcoats enamel over the steel decks....

51957280966_03da3a6cb0_c.jpg

With the purchase of two more cans of primer, this model has cost more in paint than the actual kit did!

KR's

IanJ

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Excellent progress and so good to see the hull and deck being painted. It also appears you may be teasing us by including images of Matchbox's Auto Union and AMT's VW Golf in the background... are these subtle hints perhaps?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey to think that the pain cost more than the Kit.

Kit cost me £39.99 - Think I've spent £30 on 4 cans of white primer so far (Might get used elsewhere) £30 on the GLS parts and £20ish on the Colourcoats paint and thinners.

IanJ

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More paint has gone on - These are the WEM Colourcoats WA Green and Grey that I purchased when I first got the kit.

51981979255_68d37bbfa2_c.jpg

Get the other side done this week, get the portholes in, paint the backs of them black then I can get the deck on and the hull closed up.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 9

There's apparently 1005 parts in this kit, and I still have so many on the sprues!

Managed to shift a few last night though - 26 depth charges built and made a start on the bridge.

51987590639_b18b7c10a5_c.jpg

Kind regards

IanJ

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Been a bit quiet on the modelling front as Mrs Bonhoff ordered me to get the Iancave sorted - We're having a new summerhouse installed in its place and we'll need to move the cave to a temporary location while the base is being laid.

You may have noticed from the above photos that it's a bit cramped in there so I've spent the last couple of weekend emptying the contents and putting them in my lock up garage elsewhere in the village - Mrs B has at least given me permission to hang on to my paints and tools, I've relocated the spray booth so I now have a whole desk to work on instead of an A4 sized patch so am now back on with the Corvette.

Last night was spent painting the wheelhouse interior, non slip paths on the decks and installing portholes in the starboard side - Productivity should have improved as I don't have to pack it away each night which I had to do working indoors.

Nothing really glued together at the moment but it looks like progress to me....

52019022180_dc5ba37a44_c.jpg

52017465057_f3d8a12c6c_c.jpg

52018502191_4927382542_c.jpg

KR's 

IanJ

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Running out of time and still hundreds of parts on the sprues.

One problem I've found with the kit is that there are quite a lot of parts that are tapered in order for them to release from the moulds.

As this picture shows, you end up with a locker that is slightly hexagonal in plan.

52099845287_aedab5f4bb_z.jpg

This then has to be sanded flat.

52101377250_3362151901_z.jpg

And repeat.....

Decks are mostly on and the superstructure is coming together though.

IanJ 

• Like 7

That is one very impressive kit. It's almost intimidating when the size of it sinks in. Matchbox were quite an amazing manufacturer really.

The kit sat on your bench looks really good. Good luck with the rest of the build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just getting back to this thread so apologies for these late comments. This Corvette looks so good in those painted colours and it will be so impressive once finished. Although still keen to acquire one of these, I somehow think I lack the stamina required to see it through to any conclusion. Your efforts are to be most certainly rewarded. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

Won't be finished I'm afraid - I keep finding things that I think I should do something about.

52120790950_80d2d13f2c_z.jpg

Here's an example, the radar housing, not enough windows so needs an extra mullion to divide each facet up.

52119261612_f3a93fcda5_z.jpg

Better! Now to fit the glazing....

52120319618_e09a9fc4e5_z.jpg

Rats! Needs better fitting glazing as well.

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 6

Decided to have a go at weathering the hull while the model was still managable.

52133643322_edc3acb2fc_z.jpg

52134667721_9142ebc6be_z.jpg

AK interactive washes, weathering pencils and Tamiya powders - I didn't go too mad with it as I wasn't sure how I'd remove it!

IanJ

• Like 11

Gidday Ian, I think what you've done with the weathering looks very good. It certainly doesn't look over done to me, though I imagine these ships took a hammering in the North Atlantic. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1