PK-901 Flower Class Corvette

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I hope that table is a prop from a Lord of the Rings Hobbit house and not in fact dwarfed by a model.

It's not the biggest table, but the model measures out at 860mm long so it dwarfs most things....

IanJ

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, Bonhoff said:

It's not the biggest table, but the model measures out at 860mm long so it dwarfs most things....

There is no way Mrs RL would allow that thing in the house… mind you she can tolerate the daughters 2.5m long ergo rowing machine so perhaps if I compare it to that I might win the argument??? 

Cheers.. Dave (practicing his signature for those divorce papers!) 

• Haha 6

I believe I can save your marriage here @Rabbit Leader: remove rowing machine, insert model. Potentially add oars to add to the effect. Claim it's always looked like that. Hey, at that size you could even get two!

Now, I never said an irate Ms RL was an improvement over an irate Mrs RL, but you do have options.

David

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

So, the work continues....

There isn't a massive amount of interesting parts at the moment, what there is, is lots of very repetitive assembly of things like depth charges, lockers and smoke pots.

In an effort to break the monotony - I took a look at the skylights over the engine room.

51893666878_9689bb5dcf_z.jpg

It would appear that MB had gone with an 8 panel skylight, which (IDK) may or may not be correct for the Bluebell, but, if you refer to the same item on Revell's 144th Snowberry, it's got 10 panels. It's also too tall.

51893578891_61200bd975_z.jpg

That was simple enough - I used my Trumpeter engraving tool to cut most of the base off, I find that it produces much cleaner cuts than a scalpel or saw.

Next was to extend the skylight by 1 bay - A quick measure indicated that I needed to add 11mm to the length so it was time for the saw and then rejoin the two parts again.

51892617457_6c07a976ff_z.jpg

And then to sort out the infill,

51893917279_990e8efb29_z.jpg

Not sure how much I'll get done this week as I'm helping my dad prepare his 009 layout for an exhibition next weekend. 

Some decent weather wouldn't go amiss either, as I could do with getting some paint on and spraying primer in the house would be frowned upon.

IanJ 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Stuff has happened over the last few days - The mast got built and I made a start on the 4" gun deck.

MB had the deck as just being smooth, whereas in reality, there were timber (Not sure what they're called, heelboards? steps?) or anti slip added to the deck, whether this was to help manhandle the gun round on to its target I couldn't say, but I needed to do something about this.

First off - Make a template, I have access to AutoCAD so.... 10 minutes later I had a drawing.

51918495561_5c3779c19d_c.jpg

Next step, cut out where the heelboards needed to go.

51918823794_dcf86c9c71_c.jpg

This then creates a stencil, I then drybrushed paint to mark out where the plasticard steps are going to go, once I'd done one side I turned it over and did the other.

51919114505_921bc7af58_c.jpg

Tadaaah!

51918824004_76d4a81d91_c.jpg

Next, I cut a strip of 10x40 thou into segments 7mm long and started gluing carrying on until....

51919333593_4834259bc4_c.jpg

The 4" gun is built up, as is the pom pom (Which Daisy briefly decided would also make another tasty chew toy!) but I've still got to add some details to the main gun, while the 2pdr is there as backup if time runs short towards the end of the build.

Take care,

IanJ

• Like 14

Bit more tonight - The ready use mounts for the 4" shells have all been drilled out to lighten them a bit and glued to the gun deck.

51921674452_f1901ef0df_z.jpg

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 16

On 3/13/2022 at 1:28 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Just wondering, are you still on track for an early June finish? 

Cheers.. Dave 

I'm hoping so...

IanJ 

• Like 1

So - Last night's efforts were centred around the 4" Gun Shield.

Once again, I wasn't impressed by the one supplied by MB as it looked too boxy.

51938008252_81d8fabd41_c.jpg

AutoCAD to the rescue again - Draw up an outline and transfer it to a sheet of styrene.

51938008232_a41ebfd49e_c.jpg

(Which looks a bit like a ghost in flattened form... Whoooo!)

And built up to this

51938997366_8382f1d32f_c.jpg

51939318294_7778aa576b_c.jpg

51939077888_77b813bdbf_c.jpg

A blastbag, a couple of training wheels and a gunsight will see this done.

Wheelhouse next?

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 10

There was a nagging doubt at the back of my mind - I'd constructed the wheelhouse early on, following the instructions.

I've been searching online about flower wheelhouse interiors and happened upon both the "Sackville" walkaround and the various builds of Revell's 1/144th Snowberry....

In both cases, the entrances into the wheelhouse were shown at the bow end on both Port and Starboard side and not the stern as indicated in the instructions.

51941183994_f9a48ee083_c.jpg

What to do? It didn't look like the wheelhouse was going to dismantle without a fight, all I could do was scrape off the doors and indicate new ones at the front with evergreen strip.

While I was at it, a floor went in and the inner partitions were built, presumably one room being the radio room and the other, the captain's cabin? I followed the approximate lines of the 1/144th Snowberry but noted that someone had commented that the actual partition layout should be mirrored, this was done too.

51940864956_680d9bed89_c.jpg

I have a 3D printed ships wheel somewhere and will have to scratchbuild a telegraph and another pelorus.

And then I need to behave and start painting....

IanJ

• Like 13

Nice progress Ian. This is a big build even if built straight OOB, so these fantastic additional enhancements mean an even mega build. Looking good mate. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1